xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shigajet

Aikido The Japanese Martial Art

Greetings, all.I was wondering if there is anyone in the community who is practicing, or is considering practicing the Japanese martial art of Aikido. If so, is there anyone who would like to share the techniques involved in it?From what I know, Aikido, unlike the other martial arts, is more about channeling your opponent's energy against him/herself, rather than relying on a full-out attack style (punching and kicking), like karate or judo. There's also an interesting philosophy behind it, as well documented by the great teacher Morihei Ueshiba.So...from here, let's talk about how your experiences practicing Aikido.

Greetings, all.
I was wondering if there is anyone in the community who is practicing, or is considering practicing the Japanese martial art of Aikido. If so, is there anyone who would like to share the techniques involved in it?

From what I know, Aikido, unlike the other martial arts, is more about channeling your opponent's energy against him/herself, rather than relying on a full-out attack style (punching and kicking), like karate or judo. There's also an interesting philosophy behind it, as well documented by the great teacher Morihei Ueshiba.

So...from here, let's talk about how your experiences practicing Aikido.

I've taken Aikido several times through the years and once achieved a third degree white belt. (The belts go from 1st to 9th white, then from 1-9 black) My original Dojo was in Kalispell, Montana, and my Sunse (you'll have to correct my spelling for me if you don't mind) was Walter VanKrennin(sp?) who was in his 60's then, about 25 years ago. I don't remember the name of my sunse at the University of Washington, but I took classes there too. Aikido, in it's pure form as taught by Morihei Ueshiba, is totally self-defense and you couldn't start a fight using it. The idea is you extend your opponent's attack energy through the space you occupied when the attack first began thereby throwing him off balance and to the ground. The training includes wooden swords (I don't remember the Japanese term) and staff weapons which simply act as extensions of your arms. Falling is practiced routinely regardless of "rank" and is one of the most important things you'll learn and know from the art. I really enjoyed my time in Aikido and my sunse in Montana, by the way, was a student of the master himself, Mr. Ueshiba. He never went past 7th or 8th (don't recall) degree black because of internal politics. There were (are) factions that changed the form to include attacks so they could compete and he didn't agree they should take the art in that direction. I have to agree with him; there are plenty of other martial arts that have an attack, Aikido should remain for self-defense only. Thank you very much for this great topic! Five stars for you!

I've taken Aikido several times through the years and once achieved a third degree white belt. (The belts go from 1st to 9th white, then from 1-9 black) My original Dojo was in Kalispell, Montana, and my Sunse (you'll have to correct my spelling for me if you don't mind) was Walter VanKrennin(sp?) who was in his 60's then, about 25 years ago. I don't remember the name of my sunse at the University of Washington, but I took classes there too. Aikido, in it's pure form as taught by Morihei Ueshiba, is totally self-defense and you couldn't start a fight using it. The idea is you extend your opponent's attack energy through the space you occupied when the attack first began thereby throwing him off balance and to the ground. The training includes wooden swords (I don't remember the Japanese term) and staff weapons which simply act as extensions of your arms. Falling is practiced routinely regardless of "rank" and is one of the most important things you'll learn and know from the art. I really enjoyed my time in Aikido and my sunse in Montana, by the way, was a student of the master himself, Mr. Ueshiba. He never went past 7th or 8th (don't recall) degree black because of internal politics. There were (are) factions that changed the form to include attacks so they could compete and he didn't agree they should take the art in that direction. I have to agree with him; there are plenty of other martial arts that have an attack, Aikido should remain for self-defense only. Thank you very much for this great topic! Five stars for you!

I heard Akido is a very good martial arts. I take Kendo but I do plan on taking Akido in the summer.