xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lihuyt

A Little Starter On Home Security With Some Links Included

Like the Topic say, I want to give this forum a little starter with some facts, and links concerning home security.

When it comes to home security, there are three main things to think about (in my opinion):

Burglary

Fire

Personal/Medical Emergency

The definiton of burglary (wikipedia.org):

Burglary – also called breaking and entering – is a crime related to theft or another crime. It typically involves someone breaking into a house, business, boat, or motor vehicle with an intent to commit a crime. To carry out a burglary is to burgle (British English) or burglarize (American English).

The definition of fire (wikipedia.org):

Fire is a rapid oxidation process that creates light, heat, and smoke, and varies in intensity. It is commonly used to describe either a fuel in a state of combustion (e.g., a campfire, or a lit fireplace or stove) or a violent, destructive and uncontrolled burning (e.g., in buildings or a wildfire).

The definition of medical emergency (wikipedia.org):

A medical emergency is an injury or illness that poses an immediate threat to a person's health or life which requires help from a doctor or hospital.

Links concering home security:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - A great site which give an overview on many securitysystems + more.

http://www.guardianprotection.com/residential-security-solutions/burglar-alarm-system.aspx - Here you can read some statistics on burglary and more.

http://www.guardianprotection.com/residential-security-solutions/devices/heat-detector.aspx - Here you can read some statistics on fire protection and more.

http://www.guardianprotection.com/residential-security-solutions/devices/medical-pendant.aspx - Here you can read some statistics on personal security.

Now I have started the topic, and what I want all of you to do, is to write about your experiences with home security, share links, facts, and more. Let us make this a helpful forum for all who visit trap 17.

(Disclaimer:I do not claim to have written the quoted text, what I have done is to collect facts and links and to share them with my fellowusers so that we can all get a place where we can write and read all about security at home.)

Edited by lihuyt (see edit history)

Home security - against home intruders - is mostly a matter of making your home the worst possible target. Generally speaking, home invaders will go for the easiest target. If your neighbor has left his garage door open and your house appears to be well fortified (read: difficult to enter, or currently occupied), then the burglar is probably going to waltz into your neighbor's house via the garage.You should not, however, count on your neighbor to have the most vulnerable house on the block. You have to evaluate your own house and improve the weakest points. Make sure that you have sturdy door locks, for example. Make a habit of keeping everything locked up, even when you're at home. It seems easier to leave the front door unlocked when you're there, but some burglars walk around trying front and back doors. You really don't want to walk out of your bathroom to see a bad guy carting off your TV.

At my parent's house, the front entrance has two glass panels on each side of the door. This is another common target for a burglar, as it would allow him/her to break the glass panel, reach around and unlock the door. We've never been broekn into, but my dad installed a bolt at the bottom that goes trough the door in just in case.

I remember reading somewhere that when a survey was taken on prison inmates, the biggest crime deterient for B&E on their list was a barking dog. We definatly have that one covered here! :) We are also fortunate that we both work here on the place, so it is a very rare occasion that no one would be home. Any burgler casing the place would also have a difficult time in judging by the cars in the driveway if anyone was home, we have several different rigs we drive and they are moved about frequently. Odd working hours, like right now I'm up at 2am typing this, also help keep burglers at bay. The same thing could be accomplished in anyones home, with the use of on/off timer lights. Another trick I've heard of is the fellow who lived in a very rough neighborhood. He was broken into several times. He purchased a large aquarium and put a big snake in it, and set it up right in his front room window. Burgleries stoped. Motion dector lights are an inexpensive trick too. And remember those old hoses they used to have at gas stations that rang a bell when you ran over them? (for you young'uns, this is when we still had full service gas stations and you didn't have to get out and pump your own, they'd even check your oil and wash your windshield) They have simular products now that can alert you to someone pulling in your driveway. Lots of good and inexpensive things you can do to protect yourself.

haha! making your home the worst possible target. I recommend dynamic timers, that turn lights on and off at random, dynamic radio+TV timers. Carbon-Nanotube shutters (haha! good luck with that one!)Anyway, bullet proof automatic window+door shutters, military surveillance standard heavily armoured infared, ultrasound+normal light cameras. hehe, good luck protecting your home...