xisto Community
-[Nero]-

The Definition Of Google Number [aka Googol] No... its not that search engine It has a definition.

Maybe some of you know this alreadyA google is a fantastic number; it is a number followed by 100 zeros.So when I say you got a google girlfriends, it means you have 10^100 girlfriends. (Aint logic)Now we know why the name Google for the famous search engine.

Yea, Googol, is 1 followed by a hundred zeroes, and a googolplex is 1 follows by a googol of zeroes. I heard that Google was named so because the founders, Larry Page and Sergey Brin wanted to be Googleaires, which is pretty unrealistic, they are billionaires though, which is a pretty good start.

Kinda made me angry seeing that they wanted to be Googleaires and still became billionaires. I'm not sure why it bugs me other than it seems kinda greedy. Doesn't google have slides at work? Or was that a different company that made work fun?

Yea, Googol, is 1 followed by a hundred zeroes, and a googolplex is 1 follows by a googol of zeroes. I heard that Google was named so because the founders, Larry Page and Sergey Brin wanted to be Googleaires, which is pretty unrealistic, they are billionaires though, which is a pretty good start.

I was at a bookstore and I found a book that had the Google logo on it. So I picked it up and read a few pages. If I recall, 'Google' is actually some what of a typo. The domain googol was already in use at the time so they decided on Google. :P

I was at a bookstore and I found a book that had the Google logo on it. So I picked it up and read a few pages. If I recall, 'Google' is actually some what of a typo. The domain googol was already in use at the time so they decided on Google. :P

That's very strange- I always considered it to be named Google because of the number, not because of how rich they wanted to be; but because that's how many results they would like to have. Seems the mispelling theory is the true one, according to Wikipedia..

Ahhh back to math... Eww don't make my headache start again :P. I know the url googol.com used to be a website with nothing except the googol number printed on it. I don't quite know what happened to it.... It was quite funny.

When I saw the topic title, I was like :P . Then I started to question if Google had anything to do with it :P good thing Buff clarified it. I think the last time I heard about this number was way back in grade school. My [math] teacher was giving us some trivia on... guess what? numbers :P

Edited by master_bacarra (see edit history)

Google was founded by two people??Now they must be employing thousands of people in every country!!! That sure is a success story!!!!The founders themselves might not have imagined they would reach these hights today. Google has most of it's services free and earns only from advertisers. Yet they are the best!!!

On reading the topic I thought that i've seen that word somewhere in the maths part but can't really recall if that was the corrent spelling. Well the second post clears the work spelling out. I kind of learned about that wayyyyy back when i was in school. Funny google being realted to the number thingy. By the way what is the realy story behind the name? anyone knows about it?

Yea, a googol is big, but it's nothing compared to g64 (a.k.a. Graham's number). Imagine taking the number 3, then cubing it, then cubing the result, then cubing that result, and so on and so forth until you have done a total of 64 cubing operations. Now that is a fantastic number.

So, Graham's number then, would be equivalent to 3 to the power of 64?

Not exactly. It's 3 to the power of 3. Then that number to the power of 3, then that result to the power of 3, and so and and so forth until you have raised a number to the third power 64 times.

In other words:

33 = 9

93= 729

7293 = 387420489

3874204893 = 5.8149737 ? 1025

(5.8149737 ? 1025)3 = 1.9662705 ? 1077

Keep going and going, until you have done raised a number to the 3rd power for the 64th time.

I have two books on Google here. It happened to say that a friend of theirs who rented them a Garage at Menlo Park where they started Google, came up with Google. I am, however, not sure with my memory status, i may have given the wrong details. By the way, Grahams' theory is superb. 2 to the power of 2 = 2Cube. I learnt that in mathematics class when i was young? It's syllabus requirement.By the way, Google is created, by Larry and Sergey under a purpose and motto which is to get all the information in the world into one place and their motto/logo/slogan is: "Do Not Be Evil". I guess that has to do with them buying over small startups. (Bully, i had dare shout at em')