xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zlash

Dictionary.com Is Better Google Translation isnt better than this

Google Translate is not too bad. It is much better than https://www.freetranslation.com/ but it can not beat http://translate.reference.com/. Just try it and you will see. The translations are more accurate and it is a real lifesaver.
Let us say that Google Translation will save you from falling off your bike, but Dictionary.com will stop a bullet for you :( . Dont look at this as a commercial for Dicitonary.com. I'm just making you see the light :P

Edited by Zlash (see edit history)

This is really interesting, I'll definitely give it a try. I have dictionary.com in my firefox search bar, but I didn?t know it had a translator also. Cool, because Google Translator does not offer the best results.

I didnt even know dictionary.com had a translator. When i was taking a foreign language class and had to translate some words to use for a speech or something, i always used babelfish by Altavista. I will have to try it out next time i need to translate something.

Hi all,

funny enough it was a post on Latin Dictionaries that brought my to this forum and seduced me to sign up. Now, I am still trying to make my way through it, and here it something I feel I can comment on. As many expatriates I do some translation jobs once in while to get some extra money. Not doing that on a regular base I rely on free online dictionaries to help me on my jobs. Dictionary.com is certainly a good source. One of my additional translation's sites is: Babylon's Free Dictionary Lookups. Not because you can trust each and every translation, but simple because of the vast database they have. They are always good for a surprise and for finding terms left out by others. Many times it is advisable to check several sources to get it right. Babylon offers beside all the "big languages" a great variety from Albanian, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Swahili, and of course one of my favorites the Latin Dictionaries.

So whenever you are lost, give it a try.

I hope that helps,
Salve,
cicero

Hi all,
funny enough it was a post on Latin Dictionaries that brought my to this forum and seduced me to sign up. Now, I am still trying to make my way through it, and here it something I feel I can comment on. As many expatriates I do some translation jobs once in while to get some extra money. Not doing that on a regular base I rely on free online dictionaries to help me on my jobs. Dictionary.com is certainly a good source. One of my additional translation's sites is: Babylon's Free Dictionary Lookups. Not because you can trust each and every translation, but simple because of the vast database they have. They are always good for a surprise and for finding terms left out by others. Many times it is advisable to check several sources to get it right. Babylon offers beside all the "big languages" a great variety from Albanian, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Swahili, and of course one of my favorites the Latin Dictionaries.

So whenever you are lost, give it a try.

I hope that helps,
Salve,
cicero

Hi all,
mainly for those you have an real interest into dictionaries. Babylon, the company that offers the resources mentioned above, now has launched LingoZ - The Online Dictionary Community, saying they are building the world's largest dictionary. You can lookup terms, vote for definitions, post comments or add your own terms in your fields of expertise. I gave it a try and joined, so anyone interested?

Regards and Love

Hmm. I have seen a difference there between Dictionary's translator and Google's translator. Look at this example:

English to Dutch - using Dictionary.com translator:hello is mijn naam Loodje en ik eet pizza voor lunch

English to Dutch - using Google.co.uk translatorhallo mijn naam is Bob en ik eet pizza voor de lunch

One of them must be right, but I'm not sure as I'm not Dutch myself. And, as you already know, Google Translate is still in BETA stages, so that's why it may not produce 100% perfect translations.

I have used Google translate several times, and it's not as good. But knowing that it is in Beta release I cannot comply. Then, it depends on users from different countries, how they contribute on improving this prominent feature.Then this site you noticed does not include so many languages, e.g my local language (Albanian Language).

Edited by webishqiptar (see edit history)