xisto Community
Zlash

Angels And Demons - Dan Brown Book Review

that second paragraph is about da vinci code, I think you confused the 2...

Considering the original poster took it verbatim from the cover of the novel, I'm pretty sure that he's talking about Angels & Demons, which is, in fact, the predecessor to The Da Vinci Code. Angels & Demons introduces us to Langdon and takes place before his episode in Paris. I think many people are confused about the chronology of his work because Da Vinci Code rose to popularity first, but it is the second in the series.

Dan Brown has hit upon a formula, and you have to applaud the guy for being in tune with the demands and needs of today's casual readers. He writes very short chapters because people have developed limited attention spans. Whereas commercials less than 30 years ago lasted for a minute, today's commercials last for 15-30 seconds and people are inundated with images rather than text. Brown realizes this and writes accordingly. He begins his novels with a list of so-called 'facts', although in interviews, he admits that he only reads one source to verify his information. Many of his 'facts' are easily disproven by a number of sources.

While his books are an easy read and entertaining, I wouldn't put much stock in the information he gives. And yes, they're as formulaic as a romance novel, but he's appealing to a very similar audience. Casual readers aren't going to pick up The Canterbury Tales on a whim, despite the fact that they're as bawdy and coarse as a Jackass episode.

i've read da vinci code before angels and demons..after reading the first pages of A&D i felt that it's kinda boring but i finished it in the end..the twists are awesome, especially the part where the newly appointed pope together with langdon boarded a chopper with the antimatter bomb to prevent it from detonating at vatican - and survived after doing it.. i was surprised to learn that the illumati at the book was dead and has no connection to the series of events..to sum up - it's a good book to read.. plus the ambigrams are amazing

I've read so far Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code and enjoyed reading both. I am planning of reading The Deception Point and Digital Fortress. Even though the theme is practically the same, Mr. Brown knows how to keep the reader hooked reading. It might not be the best of writings but its a nice read.

i already read deception point and digital fortress.. their themes are not the same as a&d and dvc.. it's more of a sci/fi story with computer etc on modern times..you should read digital fortress first coz it's more action packed..

Thanks for the tip. I would take you recommendation and read Digital Fortress first. I've been trying to make sometime to read them, but I always have ended up grabbing a different book. :lol:

hehe,,i'm glad to help..btw if you ever need some other books try World Without End and Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.. year 1134+, and its full of blood [including the vivid descriptions] like someone being 'hanged at the gallows, with it's neck increasing in length', 'a thief, punished by removing his outer skin to be displayed on the cathedral door'..plus some richly detailed love/rape scenes.. :lol: those are big books but you'll love reading it to the very end..

Like other readers of the Da Vinci Code, I wanted to read other books written by Dan Brown. What surprised me was that the Angels and Demons book wasn't the book that took him to the top of the NYT best seller's list.I read the Da Vinci Code and probably rate it as a 4 in reading and excitement. I rate A&D a 5. This book clipped along in such a breathless speed of action, suspense, and drama that I was up into the wee hours of the morning, my eyelids drooping, too into the plot to put the book down.The only part of the book that I was somewhat dissapointed in was when two characters jumped out of a helicopter that was supposedly 1 - 3 miles up in the air, neither seemed to have parachutes, but both survived and landed in very convenient spots for the plot. That tiny part of the plot was not at all believable, but I forgive Mr. Brown because the rest of the book was so absolutely delicious.What delighted me even more -- just as I thought the climax had been reached (and for the most part, it was the major climax), there were a few more minor climaxes. (I was wondering why there were another hundred pages or so after the best part of the book!).I think that last scene (Chapter 137) in the book was insisted upon by market driven publishers who felt that all good books had to have a gratuitious sex scene to make the book complete.Come on -- 'publishing industry' -- wake up! An awesome, potentially best-seller book can be considered 'complete' and 'marketable' without a sex scene. This scene wasn't even necessary to make me want to lean back and smoke a cigarette afterwards from the book's overall excitement.There are the first few chapters of Dan Brown's next book, "Deception Point" in the back of the paperback A&D book I had. I can't wait to buy that next book to see what exciting plots and twists have been devilishly written by Mr. Brown.

Edited by stevethedog (see edit history)

Like other readers of the Da Vinci Code, I wanted to read other books written by Dan Brown. What surprised me was that the Angels and Demons book wasn't the book that took him to the top of the NYT best seller's list.

Maybe it was cuz Angels And Demons was such a good book that they decided to promote Da Vinci Code? I don't know probably something like that.

Angels And Demons is my favorite book. I actually read Angels And Demons first and then The Da Vinci Code...Angels And Demons, in my opinion, is better. I was gonna start on Deception Point but after those two books, I kinda got sick of his style of writing. It was just too much the same.

I might read the book later in life though...

I am working on my Norwegian exam, and one of the things we have to talk about is an author and one of his books. I have chosen Dan Brown, and "Angels and Demons." And here is the problem; It has been a long time since I red it, and when I read summaries online they never reveal the end. So it would be really nice if someone had a link or could give me a short summary of the book and what happens. I remember a lot of it, but the end is unclear... I have only got about 2-3 minutes to give a summary.It would be great if someone could help me. :lol:

Edited by Bluebear (see edit history)

well i personally think that da vinci code was kinda better than angels and demons...I couldn't close the book at all. The suspense and riddles and the puzzles were so intriguing and the whole storyline was breathtaking.....Definitely one of the best books i've read so far.A&D on the other hand was also an amazing book but i preferred da vinci code to it....

I agree that this is a great book. I wouldn't say that it is BETTER than the DaVinci Code, but almost equal. They both are genius and really interesting, but have very different story lines. the thing about angels and demons is that it can actually strengthen your faith if you are religious, and it doesn't try to say that science or religion is right, but argues that they can exist together and actually help each other. The speech that that priest gives in the book is beautiful and I read it over again. Although Dan Brown's books are what I would call easy reads, they are creative and VERY interesting to read. I challenge you to read a couple of chapters and then willingly put the boo down for angels and demons or the davinci code. I heart Dan Brown and his books.

Angels and Demons need not be all that i=unrealistic you know....of ourse, the part about the Vatican' involvement blah blah...may be weird...but anti-matter creation or to be more precise, "God's Particle" is indeed a sort of Holy Grail for physicists world-wide. In fact, a facility has been built at Cerne, Switzerland , called a Large Hydrogen Collider (LHC), which will supposedly create this particle.

angels and demons really is one of the best book I've ever read.  Plus its interesting arts and happenings make me feel I am part of it.  dan brown really is a genius!!/txtmngr/images/smileys/smiley2.Gif

-reply by divine

Amazing ReadAngels And Demons - Dan BrownAngels and Demons is a fast paced prequel to Dan Brown?s The Davinci Code. World-renowned Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is caught up in the return of an ancient satanic cult when he receives a mysterious phone call along with a fax in the middle of the night. The caller is none other than Maximilian Kohler, director of a nuclear research facility called CERN, and the fax is a picture of the murdered Leonardo Vetra, a physicist at CERN and Catholic priest, with a symbol both foreign and familiar to Robert. The word Illuminati, the name of an ancient group of scientists who believed the Catholic Church would bring scientific progress to a halt, was branded on Leonardo?s corpse in the form of an ambigram, a symbol that looks the same upside down and right side up. Leonardo and his adopted daughter Vittoria had recently succeeded in creating antimatter, a new and very unstable source of energy. If antimatter and matter come in contact, they violently react. Robert, hoping to learn more about this strange occurrence, flies out to meet Maximilian at CERN and they are soon joined by Vittoria, who discovers that a large canister containing a large amount of suspended antimatter has gone missing from her lab.The stolen canister shows up in Vatican City through the feed of a missing security camera. The batteries keeping the magnetic field running only last twenty four hours. If the batteries die, the antimatter will fall out of suspension and create a destructive reaction that would reduce Vatican City to a giant crater. Soon enough, the now resurfaced Illuminati, who the world thought to be dead, claims responsibility for the antimatter in Vatican City as a final vendetta against the group that had oppressed them for so long. Now Robert and Vittoria must team up and find the antimatter bomb ticking down to zero? before it is too late.Angels and Demons was an amazing read. The characters are thoroughly fleshed out with their own unique personality and emotional drives that keep them focused on their goals. The story itself is very plot-driven and the suspense never seems to end. If you enjoy novels in which many plots all come together to form a great story or you simply like action-packed thrillers, pick up Angels and Demons and get comfortable. You are going to find it hard to put this book down.-reply by Sharveen E. Coils

Angels and Demons: My ReviewAngels And Demons - Dan Brown

Angels and Demons is an actions packed novel full of twists and turns that keeps you interested from cover to cover. The plot may be complex, but the story flows well and is easy to follow. A plot to take down the pope and the four men next in line for the pope's position has been unleashed. Robert Langdon has been called in to figure it out. Langdon, an American symbologist,  travels throughout the Vatican City on the Path of Illumination following clues from the murders. Langdon uses his friends and his own knowledge to investigate the crimes. The Illuminati is working against Langdon. They have hired assasins, and are trying to keep Langdon from completing his quest.With intense vocab, detail that paints a vivid picture in your mind, a bit of a romantic flare, and comic relief this story comes highly recomended fom me to anyone who enjoys a good book to keep them on the edge of their seat.

-reply by Rilie Meel I