xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CinnamorollTK

Non-visible Disabilities Do you believe people should receive free gov. benefits?

Have you ever gone somewhere, met someone who looked perfectly fine, and found out they were on Social Security for some disability. The person could jog, play football, hike, and yet doesn't have to work. You may wonder why the government would use money on people for non-visible disabilities. I wont go against it since my mother is on Social Security for having cancer (this is possible to get if you apply in Puerto Rico). She has been labeled "unfit to work." You may imagine that she is receiving some large sum of money monthly but its only a simple check of $730. Its not worth it to stay home if you can go somewhere and work for more.I've also seen the other side where some people get Social Security for being "nervous." Nervous? Everyone's nervous at one point. I met a woman who's getting benefits for that. I can't understand how nerves can make a person unfit to work. (If you can explain this to me, please do.)

what?? people get labeled unfit to work for a non-visible-disabilty...and they get monthly er..allowance? ._." is it possible to have that and still work at the same time? as for how nerves make a person unfit to work...no idea, never knew there was such a thing! well its fine if the person IS genuinely unfit to work, but for reasons like being 'nervous'...that woman must be nervous even when she waits in line to pay at the cashier in some grocery store @.@

I imagine "nervous" could mean something like agrophobia, which is a fear of large crowds of people or sometimes people in general and so weorking would cause massive fear and anxiety and maybe devloip as panic attacks etcetera. Instead of giving benefits why dont they give government paid counselling and psychiatry to overcome this problem and thus let them be able to work?Of course this wouldnt work for things like cancer or having no legs although even without legs i assume you could still work from home if you had the skills and facilities, all you need is a computer and desk space and a wheelchair. Instead of paying for so many benefits for people they should pay for helping those that can be helped to get them into work and then pay the benefits to those who truly deserve them who definately cant work.

People like those in the initial description you gave could easily be a sport's assistant at the local under 12s' football team assisting the direction of skills like dribbling, passing etc. He would have no real responsibilities just some light work that would keep him going and entertained.

is it possible to have that and still work at the same time?

No, because then you are not unfit for work. You might get a reduced benefit of about Ł1,000/annum but then I, thankfully, don't know much about the system.

but for reasons like being 'nervous'...that woman must be nervous even when she waits in line to pay at the cashier in some grocery store

When all the soldiers came home from the war they have some illness where they went stiff with fear when someone dropped something on the ground; it might be similar to that. She could have been involved in some very frightening and life-threatening situations in her time. No-one knows anything of her background but the council and her close friends and relatives.

I'm not against benefits but like shadowx said there could be ways of solving the problems but that costs both time and money; as well as patience. None of which is liked to be parted with. I know which I would choose if I had the choice.

My real problem with giving away benefits as easily as they do is benefit fraud. There must be a high percentage of people doing it because you see the advertisements against it on (English) TV. If there were a more full-proof method of preventing it then that would obviously be better; the answer would be offering the government-funded help to begin with and THEN the benefits. Finding the money for the help would be easy, or at least in England; the answer would be the NHS.

Not necessarily, just because the govt is giving little check of $730...not only means that it considers them, to be unfit to work.It also accounts for their well being and Safety as they are declared unfit to work.However,this may vary depending on the cases...but certainly it can be argued or pleaded.Otherwise, the govt is absolutely correct by denying work permit to them.(basically it concentrates on their safety and peace of mind)

Edited by prasanna (see edit history)

Well for them to have a nervous problem there could be many things that would make them unfit to work. They could be really nervous about many things like being in a crowd, talking to strangers. There are so many things that could make them nervous. Or they could have phobias of a lot of stuff. So ya if they seem unfit to work for something like that they should still be able to get that check. How else would they get money to support themselves if they are unfir to work?

I believe that whether it's visible or non-visible it doesn't make a difference; what matters is how much it affects your performance.

I myself have a disability, and although mine is pretty progressed, it is possible to have a job when you have a disability. I have a friend who walks with a limp and can't use his left hand and he has a job. Granted some companies didn't want him because they called him a liability but in the end he could work.

On the other hand I have a perfectly healthy neighbor who is on disability because she claims working in a factory makes her feel claustraphobic; I understand that can stop you from working in a factory, but isn't that when you get a job outdoors or something? It just seems to me some people are to quick to be on disability.

Have you ever gone somewhere, met someone who looked perfectly fine, and found out they were on Social Security for some disability. The person could jog, play football, hike, and yet doesn't have to work. You may wonder why the government would use money on people for non-visible disabilities.

Perhaps, that individual is actually involved in insurance fraud? You know, claim they hurt their back on the job, get a doctor to agree, settle $$$, and go on disability.

can i just say i get ?700 a month to stay at home to look after my daughter as she is registered disabled, but looking at her you would think there was nothing wrong with her and so many people judge us on that.she actually has optic nerve hypoplasia if you wanna search it.but i do agree that it shouldnt matter whether its visable or not my daughter although she is only 1 and is blind and has many side effects due to the ONH she leads quite a noraml life at present and does what most 1 year olds do within reason.i feel that some cases should be looked at alot more closely by the DLA and government than others

I think it shouldn't be based on whether you have or don't have an (in)visible disability, but on how much it affects you as a person. There are people who have, for example cancer, but they can still work. It would also help them forget what they have. But people who are chronically tired (don't know the name of the syndrome in English) can't work and should therefor get a wage replacement.

As someone with an Autistic Spectrum Disorder, I would be considered to have an "invisible disability".I have a lot of problems when socializing with people in that I can't understand body language, I have emotional breakdowns on a regular basis, and I get rage attacks.I also suffer with severe asthma and was diagnosed with recurring Stomach and Chest migraine.Sometimes government cheques from social security (for example, DLA in Britain) aren't "wage replacements" they are there to make up for the extra money you have to spend because of your disability, hence why people (such as my mum, who gets DLA for Syriatic Arthropopy (sp?)) can both work and recieve benefits. Hence why the british benefit is called DLA, which stands for Disability Living Allowance.

England here and the disabilty laws here r an *bottom* too!...can get really ill/debilitated people who cant get extra financial help that they so need...but things like nerves...alcoholism and stuff like that get help...(i know my dads an alcoholic...and gets dla...tho he aint drunk for 14 years now)...think it is totally wrong and needs assessing much betterCaz

I can explain a couple of the nervous disorder(s):

Panic Attacks & Anxiety Disorders:

Causes a person to become so overwhealmed with fear that they can NOT function like a 'normal person'. And are therefore useless in the work force as far as employers see it. Most people with these disorders have panic & anxiety attacks in public places, such as work, the mall, crowded places, etc. These attacks are horrible because they actually affect the nervous system to such a forceful degree that some people actually stop breathing, sweat profusely, pass out or faint. Some people can't even eat in front of others, if they see someone watching them eat, they become unable to swallow their food.

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder:

Is similar to the above, in how people who have it react, however, PTSD is caused by severe traumatic experiences. The person is constantly re-living traumatic events that have victimized them and therefore is unable to function normally. While the above disorders can sometimes be cured, or go away after treatment, PTSD is a lifetime of emotional hell for those who have it.

These disorders are terrifying and the completely control the lives of those who have them. There are medications available, but depending on the severity of the disorder, people are still rendered unable to work. I hope this answers your question. :P

Where I live it is easy to get a child on disablity, it's practically rubber stamped if a doctor signs off on it; for an adult it's nigh impossible. Not only does the beuracracy stretch their time limits to the utmost, as a matter of course they turn you down the first time. You can be obviously limited in what kind of job you can take and unable to get a job in any field you theoretically could work in and they still will turn you down repeatedly. It's depressing how bad it is, but worse to keep going back repeatedly explaining how pathetic you are.

Non-visible disabilities Do you beleive people should get free gov. benefits?

Non-visible Disabilities

I am trying to get disability for bad nerves and also for other things too. I have migraine headaches and vomit with them and have them at least twice a week. No employer would want you would they if you had to stay out all the time would they? But you said explain how a person should get disability for having bad nerves. I will tell you why I should and would get it. I am VERY nervous and I don't like being around crowds or a lot of people. I like quiet places and the majority of people and also kids loud noises and racket get on my nerves. I like and prefer being alone . So who could hold a job being like that? Any kind of job you have you would have to deal with the public and people. And I don't like being around them or messing with them (the majority of them) so who could hold a job being like that? I have anxiety and panic attacks also. I also cannot breathe good and give out and tire easily after exertion. I cannot sit or stand for a long period of time and could not be a cashier for instance because of that reason. I am mot a people person and don't like dealing with the public. I cannot handle stress or being under pressure as I am liable to fall apart and I have emotional problems so who could work being like that?

-reply by Lisa

I have had bad nerves and I don't like being around a lot of people and crowds. I like being alone. The majority of people get on my nerves and kids loud noises and racket get on my nerves. I don't like dealing with public and people so who could work being like that? I cannot handle stress or handle being under a lot of pressure and strain. (emotionally). I have emotional problems too. I have migraine headaches and vomiting with them at least twice a week so who could work if you have to stay out all the time and are in pain a lot and are not capable of doing what the employer requires of you. An employer would not want you if you stayed out all the time. I have trouble breathing after exertion ans I cannot stand or sit for long period of time without being in pain ans having to move around. I am not a people person.-reply by Lynn