xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dtuhy

Learning Php -- Where Do I Start? I want to learn PHP

Ok so i have been using html for about two weeks and i was wondering what PHP is and if there is a website that you can go to, to learn it. I heard that it is better than html but I'm not really sure.

PHP is a bit harder to learn than html but the hard work pays off when you realise all the things that you can do with it. You can write scripts that send emails, create your own shoutbox as well as lots of other things. Ever seen pages with urls like page.ext?id=1. That's done with php!

I found the website below really helpful when starting:

http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_syntax.asp

As you progress, you will probably want to research functions for yourself rather than using tutorials all the time. To view the complete list, click below:

http://uk3.php.net/search.php

Best of luck learning an invaluable scripting language!

Hey there!!! Glad to know php is still interesting to new scriptwriters!

What you will first need is a php server, you can have this on your own computer so easilly, check out https://www.apachefriends.org/index.html for the package called XAMPP and of course download and install it depending on which operating system you use. The installation guide will take you through that easily. the idea is that with PHP you have to have it on a server, this usually means you have to upload it to a webhost which is really annoying but XAMPP basically makes your computer able to run PHP files and almost gives you your own server to play with. The guide included with XAMPP should explain.

if you want you can check out the tutorial i wrote on my own website here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ It starts from the absolute begging and was aimed at people who aren't sure of what PHP means and what it is and how its used, its definitely not the best tutorial in the world but i think for beginners its very good, by the end you will be able to understand how to write php and a few of the key rules of it.

Otherwise use the links posted above.

In addition to getting XAMPP i recommend you get MPSOFTWARE's PHP Designer at: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ this FREE so long as you take the PERSONAL version, this only means you cant sell the scripts you write. And its such a small download. The idea is that this program works like a text editor but for code, so when you make a new document you choose the language its in, probably PHP, and if you type in a function it will show you how to finish it, and it will always add in quote marks and brackets to make sure you dont accidentally miss them. Very nice!

I think ive rambled enough here! I would definitely take a look at all the links in the above posts and in mine of course! and definitely get the software i suggested, ive used it for about a year now and not one problem. Then once you get php and HTML down then you can make yourself a website for real.

OK, theres Brainbench, and W3 Schools. I personly used W3 Schools, but i've heard brain bench was pretty good, too. You can also get certifications from them for $60 US (W3 Schools) and $50 US (BrainBench). Thats what I used for my php. (i use php, look at the sig) so php is really good. You might want to go here. It's http://php.net/.

~Imtay22

Ok so i have been using html for about two weeks and i was wondering what PHP is and if there is a website that you can go to, to learn it. I heard that it is better than html but I'm not really sure.

Yeah, Only 2 weeks... i would learn all the html you can... it takes some time to learn php... but it is easier and more simplier for example

say you have a ad and you use iframe to show that ad instead of saying <iframe src="ad/whatever.html" width="?" height="?"></iframe> you can just say

<?phpinclude "ad/whatever.html";?>

it makes coding a lot easier as well...

because you can set variables in php

ex.)
<?php$email = "EMAIL(a)whatever.com";echo "$email";?>

which echo means you are going to be displaying it on the page which $email echoed would be the same as in the $email = mark...

Later Dude,

Notice from electriic ink:
When posting code, please use code tags. Code tags added.

Edited by electriic ink (see edit history)

I have been editing html for a year or so and when I came across a free php cms that was it...Hooked for sure
I really like the whole database thing and have since been learning how to edit the files to my liking. And have found myself at the php.net website. Well if you decide to install a server locally with mysql apache php phpmyadmin pearl check out Apache Friends xampp

I am in the same tree dthuy is. The only difference is that i know a little mroe about html as i did a course on it about 3 years ago. I am jsut starting out in php. I am going to check out all of the above though and try to learn as much as i can, cause i really want to have a good looking website.

Hey Burke, there was a tutorial written not so long ago in the "Tutorials" forum that gives the absolute basics of PHP and where you can start, from there i wrote a tutorial too at my website, its also for beginners: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ I rather like my own tutorial as it lists all the tools you need and where to get them etc... but them im supposed to like my own work :lol:

The best way to learn is to do, so learn the basics and then make smething, and keep an eye on the Tutorials forum as there are often PHP tuts in there.

Question: Learning Php -- Where Do I Start?Answer: You face a hard dilema. like other computer codes, Php is very complicated. I would reccomend HTML. It is easier, and although you can't do as much with it, I think you should master the code HTML first. Well... actually if you are trying to learn Php then you have probably already mastered HTML. If not, however, then try HTML. But if you already did I don't know what you can do. I am no position to give advice, really, because I don't know PHP.

I agree that you need to know HTML first, otherwise PHP has no use, PHP runs in the background, a user will never "see" php they will only see the HTML code on the website and the PHP runs in the background out of sight. But id disagree that PHP is hard to learn. I think its rather simple to learn, many of the functions are easy to recognise eg "strlen" is "String Length" and it counts the number f characters in a string. "echo" simple 'echos' text out to the browser etc... The hardest thing abut programming is learning program flow eg variables, events, logic gates etc.. but one you have understood them for one language you will easily adapt for another. And i think that if youre planning any sort of website thats above the "personal/picture" level, such as a commercial website or a gaming related one or anything that contains more then just a few pictures, then you will need to learn PHP. HTML is the backbone of the internet, but PHP and other web languages are like the muscles, they allow the backbone to move abut and add flexibility and support to it. Without PHP you would never be able to create a forum like this one, never have the shoutbox above, many on-line sites rely on php like those with the "page.php?content=something" web addresses. All in all its a fantastic thing for any web coder/web master to know as it allows interactivity on the web.

Hello there, i am looking for any good books or website that offer a complete education on php, If anyone knows of any let me know. Thanks

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Merging with topic already existing. Please search the forum to avoid redundant topics. Thank you.

Heh there is no books that offer complete education on PHP. There are just too many things to cover in just one book you may end up buying 1-2. I got one book about 2 years ago it was ok but not the best. I still use it for reference because I prefer reading pages then screen. I think the closest thing would be the php manual at http://php.net/ but if your new it might seem hard to understand just reading form php.net so thats where books are good for beginners. It starts off easy and gets more complex as you progress through the chapters teaching you what/how to use PHP.I think buying a book would be a better option as you can read it anytime without needing a computer right there to learn. But you have to be careful because some books are just junk. i.e they contain really weak material to learn from so spending $100 dollars on it(thats roughly how much books cost here) ainit worth it. What i usally do before buying any text is go out and try and read though all the books I can. Its kinda hard to see what each book is all about so if you have an idea of what your looking for it helps alot. After looking through all the books on the subject I decide on one that I think would best suit me. Most of the time after I progress I find the book hasnt really got enough material or examples so I try not to buy any books unless I have to now.

The way I learned to code in PHP is somewhat strange... Being a programmer already, I thought I would just jump right in, and start writing code in PHP... But it was rather different than anything I worked in... So, I started making example pages... First, a simple static page, using PHP... Then, I worked my way up, always reading on the functions regarding the area I was making that sample page for... It kind of payed off in the long run... But books are precious...I would suggest going through "PHP5 + MySQL Bible", I think Wrox is the publisher... I think O'Reilly has one too... Check out Sams Publishing as well... What you should do is go on a publishers site, find the book you want, and read the sample chapters, just to see if it will fit your needs, andthen go out and by it... And, you can always skim through the book in the book shop, at least here they let us read a bit, and see if the book is indeed what we're looking for...And never forget the wonderful world of the Internet... You can find many, many good tutorials for PHP, most of them free... Try W3C Schools ofr example, they were very helpful to me, when I was learning... Heck, I'm still learning it :P