xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jdeveloper

The Power Of Java the best application that shows java features

Success of Java lies in its portability. You only need to complite it once and it will in any platform, from Windows to Unix system. Although it will not run as fast as native code but being able to run in multiple platforms without recompiling it is great.One feature that is very fun to use is its lighweight frames. With these technology you can create an application that will have a GUI of your choosing. Meaning even if you run the application in Windows System you can have an application GUI with a Mac look and feel or maybe Unix windows look and feel.

Java is only as good as the programmer(s) who use it... some people only get as far as to learn the basic system operations (e.g. System.out.print():P, thus they say "Java stinks"... but if learn more advanced things like swing and such you can create your own fully functional programs... then you like it so you use it more so you get better and you like what you make and it becomes a never ending cycle... sooooo....Java is only as good as the programmer(s) who use it :-p

Java is only as good as the programmer(s) who use it... some people only get as far as to learn the basic system operations (e.g. System.out.print():P, thus they say "Java stinks"... but if learn more advanced things like swing and such you can create your own fully functional programs... then you like it so you use it more so you get better and you like what you make and it becomes a never ending cycle... sooooo....
Java is only as good as the programmer(s) who use it :-p

that's right , Java technology is powerful only for programmers who are familiar with it .

Java technology is powerful only for programmers who are familiar with it.

I've had quite some experience using Java, from Swing, JDBC, IO and Socket programming. I'd be first to admit I was once in love with Java but now that I've come across PHP, I was suddenly made aware of the fact that Java is slow and too nitpicky.

I do concede that I can still do more stuff with Java than with any other programming language but it really does bother me deeply now that after all these years, Java still is slow.

Oh well, c'est la vie :P

Java is good for its portability but still has lots of problems. First of all, it is very version specific. Since certain features and improved and then removed, older java programs will stop working if the older jvm is not on the machine. This is a huge issue. If you have a good programmer, they will use only the prebuilt functions and features that are not brand new and also that are not being replaced in a more recent version.The good thing with java is that in the past few years, it has become much quicker. The code is compiled again on the computer it is being run on before it is interpreted so that optimizations can take place. This is done while you are running the program but does not use many resources the way that it is implented.

I want to learn Java but the tutorials in SUN are worded so "techy" and full of unecessary words that I don't understand what they're trying to tell me. Is there any good tutorial site that speaks in English and teaches Java?

JAVA has made such powerful introduction in the world because of several very different factors.1. It is first really portable language - this fact has made it become the language of world wide web2. It is first completely object oriented language - this fact is making JAVA introduced to many programmers and it is why many of programmers are transferring to the JAVA instead to continue their work in C or C++3. It is extensible - it has so many build up things and it is easy to extend while this is not case with language like C++ which doesn't receive regular updates like java.4. It is safe language - Its sandbox model is unigue and it is safest language and it allows safest programming solution in the world. Only one loophole has been found in JAVA since its initial release. It corrects most of the errors you could gain in the C++ but for the price of freely programing however still it produce many very good principles liek Garbage Collector and so on but for the price of speed5. It is just superior. ;) No need to comment this one.

after learning the basics of Java and came across the GUI paint tutorial, I was very turned off. Until I recently found out that C++ has that too. I was about to turn back to C++ but now I've come to think that I should study both. I also just found out that with Swing library I have different options of how it would look? It just upsets me that because of the JVM, Java programs are slow. Although they're powerful, its speed sucks. I'm just hoping that Java improves this one. If Java finally gets Java programs to speed up and have the same speed as C++, it would gain more respect and people would start turning to Java.

IMO the only good thing about Java is its portability. Other than that it is unacceptable for me to work with - it is slow, it takes up too much memory, and it's syntax definately isn't my favorite thing to work with with all the complexities that end up making me refuse to work with it completely. Even though I dislike C++, I believe it is a much more powerful language. Consider this: uTorrent which is made with C++ only occupies 1MB while Azereus, a client with similar featrures, is written with Java and occupies 70MB. There's something wrong with that.

Wow, that was awesome, beats flash since flash doesnt have 3d. One thing though.... My laptop was frying. ;) . It went from 52 degrees all the way up to 62, so I got scared and had to close the webpage before my computer burns up.

Wow Tetraca, thanks for that interesting info. I didn't know uTorrent was made in C++. I love uTorrent! It's so fast and small and portable! Wow, Azereus takes up that much!Hm... I'm so confused! I don't know which is better! Lol, still I will finish studying both languages. It's better to know both than one--leaves me open for more jobs.

Wow Tetraca, thanks for that interesting info. I didn't know uTorrent was made in C++. I love uTorrent! It's so fast and small and portable! Wow, Azereus takes up that much!
Hm... I'm so confused! I don't know which is better! Lol, still I will finish studying both languages. It's better to know both than one--leaves me open for more jobs.

Agreed and it will give you a lot of advantage if you know both then if you stay on just one. Furthermore JAVA has nice thing called native methods these are methods written in other programming languages so if you have problem. With something to do it in java or more usually if you want to write crucial part of your program which needs to be executed very fast I would suggest writing it in C or C++ better and even better if you are hardcore in the assembler, although in most cases this might prove as futile attempt.

And for torrents clients I think Azureus is better and not because it has been programmed in Java but because it has been so compatible with everything and has planty of ptions.

I know this is an old topic, but I didn't see it when it was first posted, and I am obligated to leave my opinion. I HATE java. Java is terrible. What other language can you not compare a string variable to a string?
ex:

String a="java";return a=="java" //<---RETURNS FALSE
This is because Sun forgot to incorporate strings in Java and instead of developing it into the language, they decided just to make String a class, which makes you hit roadblocks like this.

Other things that tick me off about java:
You are forced to program object oriented all the time. Even if your program isn't object oriented you need to make all of your methods static so java at least treats it non OO, even though it still is.

All Complex data types are passed by reference instead of value when passing them to a method. So you don't even get a choice if you want your variable to be a pointer or not. It just is or it isn't. Not up to the programmer.

Why does java make it so difficult to change the amount of elements in an array. I understand about memory allocation but I would prefer if java would automatically garbage collect an old array and pass the values in a new array so you wouldn't have to go through this extra annoying step every time.
Edited by alex7h3pr0gr4m3r (see edit history)

Replying to galexcdI put the code you say about strings, and it returns true...?The thing that Java has with strings it that it reserves a special memory space for them, cuz in many situations the same string is made over and over and over, so this memory saves them to use it only one while the same string is being made, avoiding stupid memory usage. Pointers are great, but pointers are unsafe (maybe not for experienced of course) but java provides different ways to manage this situations. If there was not, why would there be so many programmers doing all types of programs in it?Maybe Java is not the best language, but it is now around just 10% slower than C++, and it really releives me to create a web app in Java using a Java server, and put my applications hosted in windows, and for the clients put linux/solaris servers, and not have the need to change everything.Anyway, it is about what do you want to do. I have used a little PHP for little web applications and like it over JSP, but I hate using pure JSP for medium applications, the same I hate using PHP for them. You can use one of the many java frameworks available and they have everything you need to do really anything you want.-reply by Sotnrgo