xisto Community
Dagoth Nereviar

How Safe Are Condoms? Even if they break?

Apparantly, a small percentage (Somewhere between 5 and 2%) of condoms break...now I don't know if this is true, or how much it is on a scale of how many condoms are used :P But condoms also have spermicides in that are meant to kill sperm, so if it splits, how safe is it?(Don't worry, I've not gone and split one and just making sure I'm ok...well, that I know of :D!)

Condoms are tested before they're packaged at the manufacturing facilities. Every condom undergoes the standard stress tests to make sure that it's up to par.That doesn't prevent problems caused by, uh, user error. Some people store condoms in wallets or glove compartments: both places encourage the condoms to deteriorate. Sometimes people open the foil packets with their fingernails or teeth. When the condoms aren't put on correctly, they can malfunction.Condoms and petroleum-based lubricants don't mix. Using two condoms at once (yes, some people really do this) causes friction and can make one or both of them break.So, even though most condom makers do everything that they can to make sure that their prophylactics are top notch, the people who actually USE the condoms have to make sure that they're doing everything correctly. That prevents most, but not all, malfunctions.There are more than a few couples who use two birth control methods - i.e. the pill and condoms every time. Others abstain (that's how I roll, by the way). Yeah...all that interesting stuff? Learned it in college :P

Ok interesting topic..... I think that it is even less then of a chance. In my opinion.... I think it would be a little lower then that.

Well as long as it is safer statistically than withdrawal we dont have to wory about it.If there is a 5% or 2% chance that it will break I would have to say its pure bad luck if it happens. Condom is really not about preventing your partner from getting pregnant. Its more about preventing you from acquiring sexually transmitted desease and the best prevention is do not have sex with someone you dont know or trust. I never used condom but I never got this deseases. Well im only having sex with my friends not with some random girls on the street. Sex is a great thing but having AIDS is another thing. But if you cant help it, trust you life to a condom and hope it wont break. :P

If you're using the condoms properly, there's like a .1% chance of it breaking BUT most people use them wrong so the actual effectiveness is a lot lower, around 10-20% failure rate. Spermicides are not very effective at all (I think that was around 30%) which is why its recommended that you use them with other contraceptives (never by itself). The best ways to avoid getting preggers are the methods FolkRockFan mentioned- using condoms and a hormone method (pills, patch or shot) is good, and of course abstaining is pretty much 100% surefire. :P

Also, the pores in a condom are more than large enough to let the HIV virus in (the pores are about 5 microns each, virus is .1 micron), so be very careful about checking out your partners' sexual histories, regardless of what barrier methods you're using.

Are you sure the pores will let the HIV Virus through the condom!!!???? Man, I need to go hit the clinic, now im all scared...Well I think that condoms are the best way too go, I don't think ive ever caught anything, but then again ive only been tested a few times. But, Condoms are pretty good protection in my opinion, handle them carefully, store in a cool dry place, and don't be retarded when you rip them open, if you puncture a whole in it, it kind of makes it useless ya know? I think the best thing to do if your sexually active is too go too the clinic every 2 months or so, i only go every like 4 months, but thats just because im lazy, If you plan on being sexually active ALWAYS were a condom fellas, I always strap up never leave home without one. As for putting them in your wallet, don't do it, It wikll deteriorate like FolkRockFan said, if you want too carry them around, put them in your back pocket, and you only need one at a time, so just carry one. Now ive had sex with people Ive never met before, and this IS risky business, but I mean, things do happen what can ya do? So if you plan on being with someone you don't know, be sure to get tested soon after, I think the earliest aids are detectible is around three months, so if you get tested the next day, it dosnt officially mean your clean, last time I checked i was HIV free, and i hope too stay that way. So stay safe, get tested, and think twice before you whip it out.

Edited by PurPleKuSh (see edit history)

There are 30% of chances a condom breaks, not 5 or 2.Be carefull, some friends of mine are having babies because they thought condoms are safe.

Wow, lots of (uncited) statistics being thrown around. Let me try to clarify the issue a little. According to wikipedia, if you use the condoms properly there should only be a 2% chance of breakage. That goes up to 10-18% if you use them improperly. FolkRockFan listed a bunch of good precautions, but forgot one of the biggest ones: Make sure you're putting it on correctly!

1) Don't put it on until you/your partner is fully erect.
2) Always pinch close the reservoir tip (that small balloon looking thing on the end of the condom) while rolling it on. If you don't leave any space for the semen (which is traveling at 25+ mph) to go then you're just asking for problems.

As far as the AIDs issue goes, no--condoms are not 100% effective. But they do bring the chance of infection down by 85%.

and you only need one at a time, so just carry one.

Not going to get too graphic here but, depending on both/all of your libidos, you might need more than one :P Edited by gaea (see edit history)

Have to agree you'd be pretty unlucky if the Condom breaks during sex. But if you use em properly eg the points outlined above, and when ya.. err partner is errect. Then it may be okay, but it's a pretty high chance of being safe, but as said beforehand they arent guaranteed to be effective, as some stories I heard and a few I know had some bad cases with condoms.

Not safe at all for protecting against HIV. Well, maybe a little but safer than nothing at all, but you can still get it. Just don't sleep with any one with HIV, unless you want to risk getting it. Truth--not political incorectness, just common sense is all.It does protect agaisnt pregnency...unless it dosent', so they are effective, but i wouldn't risk my life with one...

I have been the victim of a broken condom only once...occured during a rather 'dry' session of the old in and out and the results were disasterous. Let's just say....well...it can be life altering. :P The chances of pregnancy are quite significant depending on the timing of your unfortunate event....and the chances of contracting something are greatly increased. FORTUNATELY, HIV is doesn't fare well in the presence of spermicide and, provided you don't have any open wounds on yer willy, you should be relatively OK....but there are no guarantees in this life or any other.The lesson here is...use a spermicidal gel in conjunction with your raincoat and you'll be guaranteed a good time with no worries!

Safe sex is always better! It's fun, and you don't have to worry as much. ... Polyurethane condoms are good, but may not protect as well as latex. The best condoms for anal and vaginal intercourse are lubricated latex condoms.Some people think that putting on a condom is too much work when you're supposed to be having fun. But it's easy for condoms to be really fun and erotic. Be creative!

Ahh, thank you all for the replies :D The risk just seems to be down to fools luck, and sadly I'm an unlucky fool :D! But as far as I know (and I find it very unlikely) neither me nor my patner have any STDs (Yes, I know it's STI now, but I'm old fashioned :D!) and hopefully no condoms have broke on us! We use them as it is said, and don't go around chewing them before hand :P :DHowever, to be on the safe side, the idea of using pills and condoms does sound a good mix, but I have a few more questions concerning that :P1) What's the average price for the different types of pills?2) What's the best type to get? (Ie, morning after, whatever others there are)3) Pills by themselves obviously don't protect against STDs, but how effective are they against pregnancy?Thank you all for reading and replying :P

1) What's the average price for the different types of pills?

2) What's the best type to get? (Ie, morning after, whatever others there are)

3) Pills by themselves obviously don't protect against STDs, but how effective are they against pregnancy?

1) That depends on what pill you get, your insurance, and the current market price (oddly enough). Assuming you have medical insurance it shouldn't be more than $10-20 per month. If you really can't swing that you can always goto a planned parenthood and get them for free/donation.

2) The morning after pill shouldn't really be used as a contraceptive. It's more of a "oh %&^# I shouldn't have done that last night!" sort of thing. There are many different pills out there, what's best differs from person to person. Therefore, it's best to discuss it with a doctor. From my personal experience Ortho tri-cyclen Lo seems to be the most popular. Mostly because it has the smallest chance of side-effects.

3) If used correctly (i.e. taken every day) there is only a 0.1% chance of failure. That's the best protection, excluding abstaining or a vasectomy, that you're going to get. If the pill is used improperly then the failure rate goes up to 5%.

For the past five years every woman I've been with has been on the pill. No problems yet. *keeps his fingers crossed*