xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Norrad

Thailand Demands Telecom, Satellites Back From Singapore Thailand never ceases to amaze me

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's coup leader, Sonthi Boonyaratglin, says he wants to reverse the sale of the telecommunications giant founded by ousted prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra.
Singapore state investment firm Temasek purchased Mr Thaksin's family owned company, Shin Corp, for $US3.8 billion last year.

However, in a speech, General Sonthi has said it is the Thai army's duty not to let anybody to take their national assets.

"National assets, no matter where they are located, always belong to Thailand and the Thai people," he said.

"Do you want me to sit idly? My duty is to salvage the country and its assets.

"I want my belongings back."

Temasek's takeover of Shin Corp has given it control of Thailand's largest mobile phone firm, with a 45 per cent share of the market.

General says secrets go to Singapore

Temasek also got control of Shin Satellite, Thailand's only satellite firm, which immediately drew criticism that Mr Thaksin's family had sold out national security.

General Sonthi last month suggested Thai military phone calls were being monitored in Singapore, after it took over Shin Corp.

"Our army has a problem now," he said.

"When we make a call, the line goes to Singapore.

"When we talk secrets, they go straight to Singapore."

Temasek and Shin Satellite have denied that they have ever eavesdropped on customer communications.

The general has not said how he planned to get the firm's assets back, but says he is working hard on the problem.

General Sonthi led a bloodless coup against Mr Thaksin in September last year, accusing him of rampant corruption and abuse of power.

--Radio Australia 2007-02-16

Living in Thailand is like a rollercoaster, things change all the time.

For everyones information, the former prime minister sold his company to Singapore, this deal included all of Thailands satelites. The deal went through more than a year ago and the new government has just realized "Oh, crap, we don't have any satelites and singapore can intercept all over military communications" :P

The military here is even planning to launch new satelites with costs well into the billions of dollars, and lets not forget that Thailand is very much 3rd world with many people living below the poverty line. Apparently, they haven't been able to grasp the concept of encrypting their communications yet.