xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
foto51

How Do I Save Files To .txt In Vb.net

Hello, I have a project that I am doing. I have a list box that you can enter data in, and I need it to have the ability to save that list into a text file (Names.txt). The txt file should have each entry on it's own line. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not sure about Vb.Net, I haven't touched it in couple of years, but I can give you code, how it would look in VB6, and you can go from there:

Dim i As LongOpen "Names.txt" For Output As #1  For i = 0 To List1.ListCount - 1    Print #1, List1.List(i)  Next iClose #1

And that's it... I believe it should be fairly simple in Vb.Net too... Probably very similar...

OK, I'm sure you already found what you were looking for, but I'll post an example code, of how to write text files in VB.NET... Maybe someone in the future would find it usefull:

Imports SystemImports System.IOPublic Class Form1  Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click	Dim f As StreamWriter, i As Long, obj As Object	For i = 1 To 10	  ListBox1.Items.Add("Item " & i.ToString)	Next i	f = New StreamWriter("C:\Test.txt")	For i = 0 To ListBox1.Items.Count - 1	  f.WriteLine(ListBox1.Items.Item(i).ToString)	Next i	f.Close()  End SubEnd Class

That's the full working code, just copy and paste it in your project, and voila... Hope it helped a bit :lol: