xisto Community
Darth Vivi

Why Is Linux So Good?

What is so good about Linux? I've heard many people say that Windows is terrible, and that everyone should switch to Linux. What are the advantages of switching? It seems like Linux isn't compatible with many things. It's only compatible with extremely popular games, right? I'd like to know what is so good about Linux because I'm considering switching, if there's really a good reason too.

Well, most people actually say Linux is better because they heard someone say it. Windows is full of security holes, true, and it's also true that Win is buggy, and this and that. But the fact remains, that Linux is as difficult at times, as Windows, if not even harder.I watched my brother bother with wireless internet setup on Linux for whole two weeks. And no one could help him, not even technical support. And to all those who keep cursing Windows, I have a question? Can you do better?Fact is, if you have time, and patience, switch to Linux, if not, stay on Windows... It's absolutely the same. Well, at least you have more software for Windows :(

I am always hearing about how linux is better that windows, but I cant actually see how. Everyone who says it it always:

OMG!!1!One, WiNd0zEĀ  1s S00oo Karp!!! I r tEh uSR F0 LiNuX

And you hear all these "Hackers" saying ha ha windows is so crap, fight the power!!! etc etc Linux does have better security, true, but Windows is more user friendly, and not everyone can handle the awesome complexity of LinuxMost welll known programs are made for windows because it is the more popular OS, but you can find programs that are as good (even better) then their windows counterparts for other OS's.

thats my two cents

Actually I'm finding the right linux operating system for me... I can recommend you one, it's called Bayanihan Linux (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) or Peanut Linux (search it at google) I'm sure that your going to love the two... Those are very friendly Linux versions for a Windows user like you who would like to switch to Linux... If you still don't like the two, use Mandrake Linux... you can search their website at google also...Ciao!!!...:(

Mandrake linux or redhat :P it's very easy to use, installation is easier than windows installation :(I use linux and windows and I must say that (free) linux have almost same quality of programs as windows :( there are not so many games, but it is faster than windows :( windows XP require 128 mb graphic with more than 32 mb and better procesor while linux mandraje 10.0.1 32 mb graphic with 4 mproc with less than 700 mhz and so :(

Linux is considered so good becausethose guys you hear really cheeringthem on helped make it. They spenta min. of 2 hrs working on the code.I've seen those guys...geniuses, orgenii if you are really latin. :D Security is definetly better, nVIDIAis extremely popular, and it runsfaster generally, except for Gentoo,that's guarenteed to run faster.Nowadays you hear morons thatdon't know what their talking aboutcopy old skool. Idiots. Try it out foryourself and decide. Linux also hasa lot of variety, it's one of thebootable OS's. [Look for Knoppix]People like me who worked at thisstuff since the beginning know thedifference. Wanna-be hackers andregular windows users just go withthe flow.By the way, a good one forstarting out is Mandrake.Google it. -that should be a trademark :D

Linux is considered so good because

those guys you hear really cheering

them on helped make it. They spent

a min. of 2 hrs working on the code.

I've seen those guys...geniuses, or

genii if you are really latin. :D

Ā 

Security is definetly better, nVIDIA

is extremely popular, and it runs

faster generally, except for Gentoo,

that's guarenteed to run faster.

Ā 

Nowadays you hear morons that

don't know what their talking about

copy old skool. Idiots. Try it out for

yourself and decide. Linux also has

a lot of variety, it's one of the

bootable OS's. [Look for Knoppix]

People like me who worked at this

stuff since the beginning know the

difference. Wanna-be hackers and

regular windows users just go with

the flow.

Ā 

By the way, a good one for

starting out is Mandrake.

Ā 

Google it. -that should be a trademarkĀ  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah but maybe not Knoopix (as you where saying before) its quite diffcult to set up and even then it runs slowly. Maybe i just set Knoppix up wrong though :D Incidently i'm downloading Peanut Linux now,looks good

Well from what i heard, Linux is alot more stable then windows but the downside is alot of the new games and current software dont offer linux support =/ Also windows gets bad rap but i think windows is fairly good for most things.. But i hear that linux is best for hosting servers and such.

GNU/Linux is free

GNU/Linux is open source

GNU/Linux is lighter

GNU/Linux is more custumizable

GNU/Linux is faster

GNU/Linux is more user friendly (you don't have to dig in the registry to change an option)

GNU/Linux is much more secure

GNU/Linux doesn't crash

GNU/Linux has more choice of softwares (except for games)

GNU/Linux is free

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

GNU/Linux is open source

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

GNU/Linux is lighter

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

GNU/Linux is more custumizable

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

GNU/Linux is faster

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

GNU/Linux is more user friendly (you don't have to dig in the registry to change an option)

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

GNU/Linux is much more secure

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

GNU/Linux doesn't crash

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

GNU/Linux has more choice of softwares (except for games)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I beg to differ on the fact that it is faster, because in all reality it is not faster, windows will run wayyyy quicker on my machine (2ghz, 512b ram) i can launch any app in a spliut second while on *nix it will take a few seconds to launch any app, games load quick on *nix tho, but the word progs and browsers dont load all that fast as compared to windows. And if you are going to try to say i should have a faster system then well that makes no sense cause if *nix is faster i shouldnt need more power but just my opinion i do howver love *nis :D i use SuSe 9.2 KDE, and i have also used Redhat9/Fedora Core 2/Gentoo.

Ā 

EDIT** also linux is NOT more user friendly, but then again that can vary from distro to distro but most you must know some basics or learn them and beable to use the *nix commands. Unlike windows its all point and click and the registry isnt very hard either so. Also it doesnt have more choices for software, lots of software is only supoorted on nix because of things like Wine and Cross-over Plugins, i could see myself converting completely to *nix if it had shockwave and good game support :D along with more video card/hardware drivers.

Mandrake linux or redhat :D it's very easy to use, installation is easier than windows installation :D

I use linux and windows and I must say that (free) linux have almost same quality of programs as windows :D

there are not so many games, but it is faster than windows :D

windows XP require 128 mb graphic with more than 32 mb and better procesor while linux mandraje 10.0.1

32 mb

graphic with 4 m

proc with less than 700 mhz and so :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont know where you get your facts but windows does not require 128mb ram, it "REQUIRES" 64, and there is no video requirement.... and also you cant compare xp to an os that is less complex and just simply doesnt need as much power, thats like comparing xp to windows 95/3.1 cause they dont need fast cpu's at all.... :angry:

Ā 

**EDIT, als i see you talkin about windows xp and saying linux has an easier installation??? windows xp install (xp home) is a hands free install, just set it to start copying files and it does the rest... -_-;)

I beg to differ on the fact that it is faster, because in all reality it is not faster, windows will run wayyyy quicker on my machine (2ghz, 512b ram) i can launch any app in a spliut second while on *nix it will take a few seconds to launch any app, games load quick on *nix tho, but the word progs and browsers dont load all that fast as compared to windows. And if you are going to try to say i should have a faster system then well that makes no sense cause if *nix is faster i shouldnt need more power but just my opinion i do howver love *nis :D i use SuSe 9.2 KDE, and i have also used Redhat9/Fedora Core 2/Gentoo.

You've allready found the anwser : You're using KDE, which is heavy and slow.
Use a better desktop manager, and you'll see that it's faster than Windows

EDIT** also linux is NOT more user friendly, but then again that can vary from distro to distro but most you must know some basics or learn them and beable to use the *nix commands. Unlike windows its all point and click and the registry isnt very hard either so.

If for you the registry isn't hard, then a 4-years-old child can use all linux commands...

Also it doesnt have more choices for software, lots of software is only supoorted on nix because of things like Wine and Cross-over Plugins

No : only few win32-softwares are supported with things like Wine and Cross-over.There are much more native softwares that doesn't exist on win32. That's why there si more choice of softwares for GNU/Linux...

Both *nix and Windows have their strengths and weaknesses
For games I don't think any OS compares to the support windows 9x has for games and the amount of games that are made for 9x (which is not so true for NT)

I don't believe anyone that says Linux is more user friendly then windows, even distributions like redhat fedora, they have a nice pretty interface for very basic things but as soon as you want mount another drive, do networking, set things to startup automatically, etc you have to turn to command line (in my experience) this can be very daunting for a new user, things just automatically aren't setup like they are in the newer windows (to a degree) of course Linux has improved in the user friendly stakes but I believe windows is still easier for most users (mostly because it is lax about things)
To a point this is where windows runs into problems as its auto configuration of devices isn't always optimum in terms of speed, stability and security and further configuration requires external programs
windows in my opinion is about letting the user do what they want without having to think or worry about the computer

Linux is there as a base for programs to run, if the user wants it as a nice user friendly system they can configure that but I honestly don't think Linux really cares about the user sitting at the keyboard

The latest Red Hat Distribution (A consumer/workstation oriented Linux) has a recommended minimum system requirement of an Intel compatible processor of 200MHz (Megahertz) for text-mode and 400MHz for graphic mode
a minimum of 620MB (Megabyte) of hard drive space (6.9GB (Gigabyte) to install everything)
and 64MB of RAM for text mode and 256MB for graphical mode
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

The latest Slackware Distribution (A server oriented Linux) has a recommended minimum system requirement of a 386 processor (16MHz)
a minimum of 50MB of hard drive space
and 16 MB of RAM
These specifications are for limited networking and interface (Text mode) operation
http://www.slackware.com/install/sysreq.php

Microsoft Windows XP Pro minimum system requirements:
233 MHz processor required
64 MB minimum supported
1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space
Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/windows