xisto Community
Tetraca

Freebasic

My programming language of choice is FreeBASIC. It isn't very big right now but it is growing(there are several sites dedicated to it). In basis, FreeBASIC is sort of an open source successor to QuickBASIC - it's nearly 100% compatible(they scrapped some commands because they aren't practical on modern computers). The difference is it can run on 32-bit hardware, it's much faster, and it's not limited into the confines of the DOSes. It's also compatible with most popular C++ libraries like OpenGL, YaGL(okay, it isn't very popular but it's good), and SDL. Another thing is it runs on Linux, and not just Windows. It's only real weakness I see is that it doesn't do OOP.

I love FreeBASIC. I have been using it for some time. I also have FBEdit and VISG that I use to enhance my Free BASIC experience. Do you use either of these?

I gree up loving QBASIC, so I guess that is what attracted me to FreeBASIC, once I discovered it.

It's only real weakness I see is that it doesn't do OOP.

Not yet it doesn't, but that is one of its main goals. The project is actually a balancing act. Trying to create a modern BASIC language with all the features of a modern language (including OOP), while not loosing the compatiblity with other BASIC languages. I really think, in my very humble opinion, that they are doing a good job!!!

Peace to All!!!

Purebasic is another good one - but it's not free. It's community is pretty active from what I hear and the program is in active development, though I don't know what the difference is between Freebasic and Purebasic.Just my 2c.

FREEBASIC IS GOOD

Freebasic

No OOP is not a weakness. OOP is not necessary to create an application. Just create procedure libraries and reuse them and use FreeBASIC's built in commands to interface to Windows or import C libraries. Just cause the top geeks splurt OOP outta their backsides doesn't mean its what everyone should do. Old BASIC's like QB were limited to 64K applications and at the time, people learning QB may have thought nothing of using GOTOs. But now most people learning BASIC are taught to avoid GOTOs. Anyway, FreeBASIC has the same weakness as C++, that is NONE. Only your imagination is the limit. I tested a small mandelbrot program on Dev C++ and FreeBASIC. They both ran at the same speed. BASIC as in FreeBASIC is no longer a scripting language but a serious development language.

-reply by nemesis