xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
finaldesign

Help Me Choose Some Good/cheap Video Card ...please :)

Hello all,In advance thanks for helping me out. I would like to buy some new graphic adapter / video card. It's must be fast, lots of ram, very good compatibilty, good cooling, and with all that it must include the trick - must be cheap:)Ok, so I know it can't be cheap, but it must be reasonable price for me... something around 200$ :(

Just go out on boxing day or go to some cheap store that builds clone computers and check there. You should try to get something that is 128-256 mb and 8x or more if they have them. You should try to get a radeon not a gforce. Radeons are said to be better. I don't see much difference though.

Just go out on boxing day or go to some cheap store that builds clone computers and check there. You should try to get something that is 128-256 mb and 8x or more if they have them.  You should try to get a radeon not a gforce. Radeons are said to be better. I don't see much difference though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thanks man. but I still think that geforce are better. Many software aplications suport them as well...

I'm using GeForce4 MX440, 64M DDR, on 4x AGP (it's 8x, but my mb only supports upto 4x), and all games I play run smoothly... As with all brands, it's about what you like more, GeForce, or Radeon... And, ofcourse, depends on types of games you'll play... I play mostly strategies, MiG-29 (it's like 5 years old), and NFSU2... and it all works for me... And gfx card only costs about 50 euros :(Check out benchmark sites to see wich card is best for your needs... :(

I'm using GeForce4 MX440, 64M DDR, on 4x AGP (it's 8x, but my mb only supports upto 4x), and all games I play run smoothly... As with all brands, it's about what you like more, GeForce, or Radeon... And, ofcourse, depends on types of games you'll play... I play mostly strategies, MiG-29 (it's like 5 years old), and NFSU2... and it all works for me... And gfx card only costs about 50 euros :D

Check out benchmark sites to see wich card is best for your needs... :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there much diference in performance from 8x to 4x?. My motherboard also runs at 4x. I have feeling that it will crash performance at least by 30% if 8x card is in 4x slot.

Is there much diference in performance from 8x to 4x?. My motherboard also runs at 4x. I have feeling that it will crash performance at least by 30% if 8x card is in 4x slot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

$200? well for that price i would reccommend getting the ATi Radeon 9600 pro, because it is a very powerful card and now with all the new cards out its price has gone down alot and would be a very nice gaming card at a reasonable price. If your looking for even cheaper then i'd reccommend a Radeon 9550 or a GeForce FX 5700. Good luck and happy gaming ^^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

didnt quite fully read your post, there is a difference between 8x and 4x, for one 8x is mathematically twice as fast and it allows for more complex texturing to be done also no your computer will NOT crash with an 8x card in a 4x slot, all agp video cards are backwards compatible it will simply run at 4x in a 4x slot.

there is practically no difference between 8x and 4x AGP. Games don't really use it anyways because it is much much much much slower compared to the onboard graphics memory.An 8x card will work on 4x with little to no problems. You won't loose performance because you are running 4x instead of 8.200 dollars is not cheap.Yeah as was suggested you can get a ati radeon 9600 series card for cheaper than 200 and would be a good deal.Whoever said MX440: die :D:D That card is ancient and wont run half the games you throw at it because it doesn't have hardware shaders.If you really want to, you can go with a GeForce, but I would only suggest the newest 6800 series and they are expensive.