xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
itrainmonkeys

Very Noobish Question [resolved]

I know this may sound really easy....but why can't I view my site. I'm not used to such an extensive host since i've only been hosted at other free subdomains that have been pretty simple. I've made my index.html page and everything but it won't show up. I don't know if there's something specific I need to do in order to get it off of the original introductory page that tells me the steps I need to take (which i've done). When I view it in the cpanel I see the html working but my images not showing up. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid. I guess i'm just a little overwhelmed at the directories and stuff. I just uploaded my files to the file manager....do i need to have them in a certain folder or directory? Can anyone help me out with this?

Make sure you put it in either the public_html folder or the www folder. It doesnt matter which one you put it in.

Thank you so much man. That fixed it. I figured it was something simple I just didn't know. Anyway I appreciate the quick response. I'm really liking Trap with every new post. Thanks again.

When you first enter your account via the cpanel, you are in the "account root" directory which is NOT accessible from the web. Only the public_html folder and sub-folders under it are web accessible. Consequently, place files in the "account root" that you don't want direct access to.Also, DO NOT delete the www folder. It is merely an alias for the public_html folder, so if you delete it, there will be problems. guaranteed. (guess how I know that?)

Also, DO NOT delete the www folder. It is merely an alias for the public_html folder, so if you delete it, there will be problems. guaranteed. (guess how I know that?)

You might consider this as spam but still couldn't stop myself... ;)Now, thats because you did that same mistake and got complications too? ;)

If I need to clear my web hosting... I delete the public_html folder, then re-create it again. I don't know if your supposed to do this, but it does the trick. It is much easier than deleting all the files one by one as cPanel deletes very quickly.

Thank you so much man. That fixed it. I figured it was something simple I just didn't know. Anyway I appreciate the quick response. I'm really liking Trap with every new post. Thanks again.

don't just like it too much, or you'll become addicted like i am ;);)

also try fantastico feature in CPanel, it is easy to install Joomla, PHPbb, Wordpress or any other feature it has, and it has quite many...
Edited by matak (see edit history)