xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilva

What Is Bluesnarfing? Exactly what it says on the tin.

Blue snarfing Is quite a bad thing, and today's modern hustlers and scammers are trying to use this vunerability to gain access to phones, computers, P.D.A.s and other things which uses Blue Tooth.

The attacker could send text messages, ring numbers and basically use your phone from another location. They can access all your information stored on your phone and sell it on to other people for quite a large profit.

Attackers target places where there will be a lot of people. Normally they target malls and city centers, as there will be a lot of people there and a higher chance of people who have Blue Tooth switched on, on there phone.

The best way to protect yourself from an attack, is basically turn your Blue Tooth off when you are not using it. Therefore the attacker cannot gain access to your phone, as you don't have it turned on.

If you have your phone's Blue Tooth turned on, beware as you may have a ?20 phone bill on your next bill.

On BBC (UK) they explained this on a TV show called "The Real Hustle", I have attached the link below so you can view this episode.

Keep safe folks!

Links:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

yep, this is becoming an issue now. lot of mobile hackers with bluetooth enabled PCs are trying to hack the Mobile that have their Bluetooth enabled. They can use the mobile the've hacked as they wish.I is really versy safe to turnoff Bluetooth, if you've blutooth in it.

I can use the net with my phone, so I assume it has Bluetooth? I have no idea how I'd go about turning it off, but I have Pay As You Go billing with never more than maybe $20 (about ?10) on it (and usually a lot less) so I'm not really concerned. It's good to know, though.

Well you can access the internet without the use of Blue Tooth. I think when you go on the internet via the phone it is GPRS (I am not sure though).I suggest you go on Google and type in your phones make and model, to see if it does have Blue Tooth.This is quite of a security vulnerability and you should really turn it off if you do.Baring in mind Blue Tooth does reduce your battery power, so you may be using a lot of Battery power up.

Wow, that is amazing that hackers can do that. Blue Tooth is used to interact with other blue tooth devices like computers, printers, and wireless headsets. I've never heard of Bluetooth being used for the internet though. GPRS is the technology that mobile phones use for the internet. Also for most phones, Bluetooth is a feature that needs to be turned on for it to work.

Bluesnarfing isn't a new thing. And it seems as though you no longer need a computer. I know of a proof-of-the-concept tool that can run as a J2ME program on a mobile phone to snarf other people's phones. Although their developers have programmed it to be incapable of any REAL damage (e.g cannot send SMS, can only make another phone call that is free of charge etc), you can still use it to gain access to files. Plus it's open-source, meaning hackers can simply edit the source to make it capable of some serious damage. And yes, turn off your phone's bluetooth. Do not just make it hidden, there is an open-source proof-of-the-concept tool that find your phone even if it's hidden. A google search can find a whole load of tools that can turn you into a revered hacker.