xisto Community
Default Sicknes

Ipb Vs. Phpbb2 Vs. Smf Vs. Mybb Vs. Vb

Forum Battle  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have the same dilema as you have but limited my options to IPB, FluxBB(i like its minimalist look out of the box but I cannot find downloadable theme anywhere nor I can find option to change theme colors right now.) havent tried IPB though.VB is great for large forums I can see it everywhere. but probably some other time if my forum is large enough.

I think Phpbb is much more better than all others and the latest version of Phpbb i.e. Phpbb3

have a lot of features included and you know what is the best part of this is that

it is free.

Some of the key features included in Phpbb3 are:

Password protected forum

User based poll tracking

Multiple Attachments

Oracle, Firebird, SQLite Support

Search engine spider handling

CMS software integration

and a lot more.....

I got to disagree on this statement" Phpbb is much more better than all others and the latest version of Phpbb i.e. Phpbb3 ". Why ? Seriously, look at the learning curve. ask any newbie how easy it is to create forum categories and sub-boards or child boards on phpbb and in any other forum software. You'll get the answer, which one is more easy.

IPB/VB have better learning curve but as those are paid softwares, we ignore them and then start comparing with free one's. MyBB, PunBB have cluttered user interface but learning curve is much easier than phpbb. SMF is better among them cause ease of use, active development, mods and features are same as that of phpbb. everything that you can do in phpbb is possible to do in SMF. and ofcourse, SMF is way easy to learn that phpbb. Security updates are also frequently released unlike phpbb. MOD installation of SMF and phpbb gives you idea about how easy smf is in comparison to other forum softwares.

B isn't very modern or modern looking unless you skin the hell out of it.

I think you didn't seen the new version of VB. New version of VB is hell lot of improvement and just few modification and you'll see a much better VB. Even default skin is changed and is enough to let you have some different look than earlier. Also vb is available as forum and suite versions. In suite version you'll find better design to forum and CMS by default.

Wow kind of a useless thread you made there as haslip said. Anyway moving on I voted for vBulletin, Although it is very expensive it a one time payment, very professional and advance to use making it less likely someone can hack your forum.