xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
laforgej

Ipx Networking

I just got a standard t-10/100 base network setup in my house, everything is working fine for file and printer sharing and going multi player on my newer games but I am interested in playing some older games that use IPX rather than tcp/ip. Is it possible to configure your network to run both tcp/ip and ipxI kinda want to play doom 2, tzar burden of the crown, and starwars x-wing vs tie fighter.

it is very much possible.older games like Red Alert and Yuri's Revenge uses the IPX protocol.Go to "Network Connections" then right-click on the "Local Area Connection > Properties" that you are using to connect to your network (Some might have multiple LAN Cards).Click "Install" button. Select "Protocols" and click "Add".Select "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" then click "Ok".Now wait a sec...Once done click close and Play your game! You can now play both TCP/IP and IPX based games.If on rare cases that there is no "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" in the protocols list, this happens on nLited versions of XP or modified unattended XP installations. I made a workaround to install the NWLink IPX/SPX since I can't find a solution about this over the internet.