xisto Community
BooZker

Hard Drive Freezes My Pc, But Not Mac Os X Always Worked Before, but What is Going On Now?

I have a VAIO and a Mac OS X. I have an external Firewire/USB2.0 7200 RPM 300GB HD made by Seagate. I have always simply swapped the USB from Mac to PC for months. Today i went and tried to copy some files onto it using my PC and it froze up on me. I just thought probably just a normal PC crash (thats why i use Macs now! No more crashing.) Anyways back on subject...I held the power button it turned off and i left the external drive plugged in because it was copying files and i didnt want to fry it by jerking it out. Then the PC wouldnt start up at all. I unplugged the drive and voila it worked. Now everytime i plug in the drive it wont even read it. It says its a error with the I/O in some deep system folder. No idea how to fix this one. I'm usually fairly good at fixing stuff like this and when it doesnt work researching it and fixing it, but this i can't fix.It works fine on my Mac though. That is what bugs me. And its not like its the first time i have tried to move it from Mac to PC. I used to do it all the time and connect to it from my WLAN also.Please HELP!

Can you give more details about the I/O error or even better provide a screenshot? Your file system could have been messed up by something on the Mac which makes it not work on the PC. That's my only guess.

I used to have the same problem with my external hard drive. First it worked fine every time. But then one day I had a problem with "I/O error" and ever since then it kept having errors, but then I just reconnected it a dozen times turning it's power off, restarting my computer, unplugging and plunging the usb connection and it somehow fixed itself after many many tries. It still does the "I/O error" when I try moving large amounts of data, in the 100 megabyte range. Probably a device failure on windows, you can try reinstalling the drivers from internet as the ones on the hard drive plug and play might be corrupted.

I have a VAIO and a Mac OS X. I have an external Firewire/USB2.0 7200 RPM 300GB HD made by Seagate. I have always simply swapped the USB from Mac to PC for months. Today i went and tried to copy some files onto it using my PC and it froze up on me. I just thought probably just a normal PC crash (thats why i use Macs now! No more crashing.) Anyways back on subject...
I held the power button it turned off and i left the external drive plugged in because it was copying files and i didnt want to fry it by jerking it out. Then the PC wouldnt start up at all. I unplugged the drive and voila it worked. Now everytime i plug in the drive it wont even read it. It says its a error with the I/O in some deep system folder. No idea how to fix this one. I'm usually fairly good at fixing stuff like this and when it doesnt work researching it and fixing it, but this i can't fix.

It works fine on my Mac though. That is what bugs me. And its not like its the first time i have tried to move it from Mac to PC. I used to do it all the time and connect to it from my WLAN also.

Please HELP!

If you drop it from about twenty-five feet, it'll never give you another error. ;) ;)

Well i can no longer give you the I/O error because now it comes up and doesnt freeze my computer, but it wont access the drive. It says it just can't open it and it doesn have the name of it, which is Sea_Disk, anymore. It just says I: (the drive letter) It froze my HD this time. I couldnt shut it off. So i am scared to plug it back in, but if you think a screen shot of the error will help then i will. Just a little worried about unplugging the power source because it wont turn off.

Same problem hereHard Drive Freezes My Pc, But Not Mac Os X

I am having a similar issue with an Acomdata pureDrive 320 GB external hard drive.  It worked when I installed it on my BF's computer,  and he spent all night downloading things on it.  The next day he couldn't get it to work so he asked me to fix it. 

I have not seen any error messages, but when I try to access the drive it freezes the system.  Even stranger, if the ext drive is switched on while the computer is booting, the thing stops at the first splash screen (the one that says "Intel" and "F2 to enter setup", not the Windows XP one) and it refuses to move.  I tried accessing the drive in safe mode and it acted exactly the same.  I tried deleting the driver while I was in safe mode but the driver didn't show on the list until I turned on the drive, then just clicking on the name of the device froze the system again.  I can usually fix things like this but I am at a loss this time.

I think I am going to System Restore to before I installed the thing, maybe that will make it reinstall the driver.  If anyone has any other ideas please let me know.

-question by Charee

seagate drive keeps your windows computer from starting upHard Drive Freezes My Pc, But Not Mac Os X

My client had this same problem. I got into the BIOS on the motherboard and disabled it from looking for any USB bootable devices and it took care of the problem. 

-reply by ScareyLarry

hello needed help regarding my external hardisk:

Question: my pc cant open my Ext. Hardisk and not only that it also freeze my PC/Laptop. What should I do?

actually I want to copy the files inside the external to laptop but it suddenly cant open/see the files. And not only that while opening the external it freeze my laptop / PC. I already cable to cable but it didnt work the problem is still going by freezing my PC and no files inside the external

Please help me wha to do this bcoz what inside of this external hardisk is my important files...

Transcend storejet the brand of my external hardisk... 

-reply by ranz

Hard Drive Freezes My Pc, But Not Mac Os X - Always Worked Before, but What is Going On Now?Hard Drive Freezes My Pc, But Not Mac Os X

@ (G)ranz, try using another computer to recover your files - if possible run the chkdsk utility (right click the drive in my computer > properties > tools > error checking / check now > check BOTH boxes and run Check Disc.To everyone else, I Have two generations of Vantec NexStar ex-USB cases, the old one (v1, usb2.0) is wicked awesome, never had an issue, the two new ones (NS 3) **** - or so I think. I've had a new hdd literally blow up in one, another one seems to be dying a slow death and Ive come to the conclusion Western Digital and Vantec's NexStar are incompatible  with each other and/or Windows XP - they work fine together in Vista or Win7 but it makes Xp sick ... DO NOT just unplug or shut down when your USB HD is plugged in, safely remove no matter what!! But if you have issues with your external drive, try using it on vista or win 7

-reply by brandub