xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
TypoMage

Steal Flash Easy? Too easy?

I do not like how stealing flash is so easy. I mean people do not even ask for permission anymore. It is so easy! I mean Cmon! I mean all you need to is get Firefox and boom steal anyone hard work! I some people like the people who made Ebaumsworld, just steal all of there content. I have tried to ask the creators if I could use there animations but they do not answer me so I take it. But it is the thought that counts right? I have heard something that protects it your site content from people like that is this true? Well I do not like how all sites are the same, with the same content and everything. People need to get original content.

Stealing is wrong, no matter what form it is done in or why.I do think, though, that if you have tried to contact a website's administrator and asked their permission, but they did not get back to you, if you CLEARLY state where that content was obtained, it might be somewhat excusable.I have heard that ebaumsworld steals their content, but I don't think there's actual proof confirming that they did. Falacy? Perhaps..

No Ebaumsworld.Com Does steal there content it is a fact! I know it to be true. There are so many creators of all that content that they stole that are mad at him for doing it.

Just because ebaums steals flash doesen't mean it right! That's why a lot of people hate ebaums! Because they're thiefs!.And, there is a way to get around theft, and it's to make an anti-right-clicker, which will block right clicks on your webpage. But I believe it's javascript, so all you have to do is disable it in your browser.

Flash can be stolen with ease, yes, but people putting up there works of flash know that thats a possibility. Its like walking with a few hundred dollar bill's in hand down the sidewalk of a bad neighborhood, you know?It's just that low life morons who download programs to steal flash do, because they have nothing better to do. Theres not much you can do until they make better security for flash, but then someone will figure out how to steal that then it'll all be wasted. Trying to stop people from stealing flash on the internet is like trying to have world peace, you can try, but its never gonna happen.

Getting firefox is not the case though, I've recently found something that completely puts peoples hard works in flash to 0. Many of you think that if you get an .swf file you can't do much with it other than look at it... but you are wrong. There are some nasty things like swf decompilers that give a complete access to the original .fla file letting change whatever you want and reuse somebody's work. I find it pathetic and think those programs should be put to the prohibited list!

It really does annoy me when people steal flash, especially as it is so easy to download free editable .fla files from people who are keen to distribut content....Usually the best way is to prevent right-click's but even better is use php script to embed it, so that the actual link is impossible to recover....the only problem is that internet explorer downloads most of it to the cache which is annoying...By far the best way is to watermark everything you have: if the thief is willing to sit for a few hours removing a watermark completely from the flash, then they probably know how to make their own and really, really like yours (and so probably asked to borrow it already)

I know that flash stealing is quiet easy now. but u can put some securities on it. then even your work is stolen this will be useless for others. try to put some passwords and inporting securities..

There are many methods of stealing flash animations. When I like some kind of animation and want to work out my own version for the sites I made, I use software called Flash Saver. It's quite easy to use and it's a small program. With this software you can easily download .swf files and after that use some kind of decompiler like Softhink SWF Decompiler that makes your .swf to .fla file so you can edit it under Adobe Flash.

I do not like how stealing flash is so easy. I mean people do not even ask for permission anymore. It is so easy! I mean Cmon! I mean all you need to is get Firefox and boom steal anyone hard work! I some people like the people who made Ebaumsworld, just steal all of there content. I have tried to ask the creators if I could use there animations but they do not answer me so I take it. But it is the thought that counts right? I have heard something that protects it your site content from people like that is this true? Well I do not like how all sites are the same, with the same content and everything. People need to get original content.

Just out of interest, how exactly do they "steal" these files? Is it just a simple right-click and view source, looking for "embed" tags? If that is the case, you could put up a lot of phony embed tags so that if they try to do a simple view source, they'll see about 250 embed tags. To make this method really work, though, you need to put all of them in different places, and "encrypt" the file names. (That is, rename them so that they looke like "s0fjf2o8yd.swf" or something.)

Sure, stealing is wrong, but nothing is deprived. It's not even copyright infringement unless you plagiarize it.

Stealing is wrong..... But, it differs IMO not all people steal and publish it straight away...... Some people steal to get the ideas...... Some designers are generous to mail you the source code, and some are not....... So, as u have to get the idea about how they did you got to see their source......If you r not gonna steal anything..... It doesn't mean your work won't be stolen........ Life with life........But, don't steal and publish as it is, I would at-least say this.

Let's clean up a few facts in this thread, eh?

No right-click blocking script will ever stop someone even half-dedicated to stealing content. Why? It's so easy to get around. I've got a Firefox addon called "Web Developer Toolbar". Awesome little thing being a developer. I can use it to control javascript - which of course controls the "right-click block".

Also, "embedding" the file in php as another poster pointed out won't do a thing either - Why? Php outputs html - not php code. It outputs html or whatever other format the developer wants it to. Since it would output the tags required to embed the .swf inside which I can then "steal" this provides no use.

You can password-protect the SWF. I don't know how well this will work however. In reality, there's no way to really stop people stealing - especially without compromising on user experience. This is with everything - from real life, art, programs/music, swf files. Sort of a law of nature I guess. A quote (no clue where from) "The more and more you secure your system, the more you'll end up being surprised by some back door you'd of never thought off".

Essentially - it's pointless to try. Do a little bit as the majority won't bother and move on if there's obstacles, but it's impossible to stop someone determined.

edit: You can spend all year "securing" your swf file, but there'll still be a way around it. Isn't it better to focus on the users who you provide for, rather then lower their experience of the flash meaning more upset clients, plus try fight something which is impossible to win? There's just no sense to that, and I know which I'd pick.

Edited by Live-Dimension (see edit history)

Stealing for learning is not really stealing. Except if your going to make profit out of it or publish it and take credit for it.-reply by xmido

Let's clean up a few facts in this thread, eh?

No right-click blocking script will ever stop someone even half-dedicated to stealing content. Why? It's so easy to get around. I've got a Firefox addon called "Web Developer Toolbar". Awesome little thing being a developer. I can use it to control javascript - which of course controls the "right-click block".

Also, "embedding" the file in php as another poster pointed out won't do a thing either - Why? Php outputs html - not php code. It outputs html or whatever other format the developer wants it to. Since it would output the tags required to embed the .swf inside which I can then "steal" this provides no use.

You can password-protect the SWF. I don't know how well this will work however. In reality, there's no way to really stop people stealing - especially without compromising on user experience. This is with everything - from real life, art, programs/music, swf files. Sort of a law of nature I guess. A quote (no clue where from) "The more and more you secure your system, the more you'll end up being surprised by some back door you'd of never thought off".

Essentially - it's pointless to try. Do a little bit as the majority won't bother and move on if there's obstacles, but it's impossible to stop someone determined.

edit: You can spend all year "securing" your swf file, but there'll still be a way around it. Isn't it better to focus on the users who you provide for, rather then lower their experience of the flash meaning more upset clients, plus try fight something which is impossible to win? There's just no sense to that, and I know which I'd pick.

Of course there's no use trying. But if there's no harm, why not go a little further, eh? Most people, if they don't want your specific flash file, will move on. If they're that determined, then get an IP logger or something.

Stealing for learning is not really stealing. Except if your going to make profit out of it or publish it and take credit for it.

-reply by xmido

Stealing for learning is considered fair use. And as long as you don't use it for anything else and use proper accreditation, what can they do to you?

If you take credit for it, that's not stealing either, except for the actual act of ripping it off the website. It's called "copyright infringement"...