xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zues

Total Lunar Eclipse March 3rd Can be seen from almost anywhere

All the major land areas around the globe get to see tonights eclipse, all or in part, except for the following: western one-third of the United States (including Alaska and Hawaii), western Canada, easternmost Russia, New Zealand, and the eastern two-thirds of Australia. As for the US, the eastern states see a total eclipse as the moon rises at sunset, whereas the mid section sees a partial eclipse at moonrise. The western part of the US misses out on the dark umbral phase. The phase timings listed below are for Central Time (Eastern Time, Mountain Time, Pacific Time).
Total Eclipse of March 3

Partial eclipse begins: 3:30:22 pm CT (4:30 pm ET, 2:30 pm MT, 1:30 pm PT)

Total eclipse begins: 4:44:13 pm CT (5:44 pm ET, 3:44 pm MT, 2:44 pm PT)

Greatest eclipse: 5:20:56 pm CT (6:21 pm ET, 4:21 pm MT, 3:21 pm PT)

Total eclipse ends: 5:57:37 pm CT (6:58 pm ET, 4:58 pm MT, 3:58 pm PT)

Partial eclipse ends: 7:11:28 pm CT (8:11 pm ET, 6:11 pm MT, 5:11 pm PT)

Finally a eclipse in the Eastern US in over 3 years. I've never seen one before, so I already plan to take some warm clothes and settle in for a cold night in the freezing snow for some two to three hours with my digital camera and small telescope. My camera takes good pictures of the moon through my telescope, so I hope to get plenty of pretty pictures. There is also another eclipse that can be seen from the US on August 28, plenty of fun for astronomy lovers this year!