xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shadowx

Php: Help With Some Sql/php And Nested While Loops Please! [resolved] how do i make nested while loops work?

Hi all, as part of a project i need to include data from two different tables in mysql in the following way:

data from DB1

data from DB2

data from DB1

and so on. nw the best way i can think of this bearing in mind each table might have several rows which i need to pull, is to use a while loop for each query and i have one query for each table. that way i can pull as many rows as i need to, with me so far?! Thought not but ill carry on anyway!

Now ive got eh data pulled from the database i need to somehow put it in the order shown in the quotes, the only way i could think to do this was to nest the second While loop so i end up with this structure:

while (pull data from table1){
echo data from table one

while(pull data from table TWO){
echo table TWO data
}

}

the problem is it doesnt seem to run the second while loop, why is this? a problem with my code (see below) or just because nested While loops dont work?

CODE:

while($row_client = mysql_fetch_array($result_client)){	$client_ref = $row_client['reference'];	$client_subject = $row_client['subject'];	$client_question = $row_client['question'];	//while there are rows in ether table echo them.	echo "	<table bgcolor=#99ccff border=1 style=\"border-collapse:collapse;  border-color:blue;\" width=49%>	<TR><TD>	<u><b>Client ref:</b> $client_ref <BR><BR> <b>Subject:</b> $client_subject </u>	</TR></TD>	<TR><TD>	$client_question	</TR></TD>	</table>";		echo "1";		}		While($row_team = mysql_fetch_array($result_team)){						$team_ref = $row_team['unique_ref'];		$team_respondent = $row_team['respondent'];		$team_response = $row_team['response'];		echo "		<BR><BR>		<table bgcolor=#ccffcc border=1 style=\"border-collapse:collapse;  border-color:blue;\" width=49%>		<TR><TD>		<u><b>Response ref:</b> $team_ref  <b>Respondant:</b> $team_respondent </u>		</TR></TD>		<TR><TD>		$team_response		</TR></TD>		</table>";				echo "2";			}

yes, its messy ;)

I think an easier way of getting multiple rows from SQL is with for loops. I don't really get what you exactly want but try this format:

mysql_connect//blah blah blah conect to db 1$rows1=mysql_query("blah blah blah query here");mysql_connect//blah blah blah conect to db 2$rows2=mysql_query("blah blah blah query here");mysql_close();for($i=0;$i<mysql_numrows($rows1);$i++){echo mysql_result($rows1,$i,"column name");}for($i=0;$i<mysql_numrows($rows2);$i++){echo mysql_result($rows2,$i,"column name");}

Is that what you meant?

Its sort of what i want, and i hadn't thought of using that way, probably because ive never used a function to count rows in a table. It looks good but the drawback is using that i would get data like this i think:

DB1 Data
Db1 Data
BD1 Data

DB2 Data
Db2 Data

but what i want is to alternate between data eg:

DB1Db2
DB1
Db2
DB1

the purpose of the script is to have a client's question listed then a response and then any follow up quuestions they had like:

questionanswer
next question
next answer

alright. I gotcha this script should work. No nested while loops required
Try this:

<?php$table1=mysql_query("blah blah blah");$table2=mysql_query("blah blah blah");$j=0;for($i=0;$i<$mysql_numrows($table1);$i+=($j-1)){$j++;$result="table".$j;$j%=2;if($j==1 || mysql_numrows($table2)>$i) echo mysql_result($$result,$i,"column");}?>

The above example wont work if there are more rows in table 2 as in table 1 I thought that is ok because its question and answer. Heh, i kinda felt like coding fancy using modulus(%) and pointers($$result) etc...

If you want a more simple code you can use this:
$table1=mysql_query("blah blah blah");$table2=mysql_query("blah blah blah");for($i=0;$i<mysql_numrows($table1)||$i<msql_numrows($table2);$i++){if($i<mysql_numrows($table1)) echo mysql_result($table1,$i,"column");if($i<mysql_numrows($table2)) echo mysql_result($table2,$i,"column");}

it looks good at a glance, im at college at the mo though so i cant impliment it, ill give it a run when i get home though, if this works i will be very happy ;) thanks

Just finished most of my script and that code you wrote worked fine after a few tweaks, like you made a typo with putting "msql" instead of "mysql" but thanks to your code and some intuition i now have my data arranged correctly. Thanks! This topic can be pretty much closed now if you want, mods.