xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
roseysaidwhat

Jobs In Nursing Can you tell me more about it?

So I am thinking about going into Pre-med in two years (currently a Junior in high school) and I would like to know more about Registered Nurses and Nurse Practitioner. Are you a nurse?Can you tell me what kind of schooling you had to go though?What kind of classes did you take?How long did you have to go to school?Is your job rewarding?Any regrets?Thanks to anyone who will reply, this will very much help me in the future!

I am not exactly pursuing Nursing as my degree, I am more to IT but my girlfriend is and I suppose I can give you an insight into it since she talks quite a lot of it to me. My girlfriend have had to enter a 3 year course study at the institution she was studying in. And during these 3 year course, there is a fair amount of theory and practical which you have to go through. So in short, she was attending school and also going for attachments/internship with hospitals to get 1st hand experience on being a nurse. And of course there is a lot of places to go, some fine examples: A&E (Accident & Emergency), Operating Theater, Mental Health, Cancer Wards .... etc The reason why I did not choose Nursing would have to be simply the memory work is tough, so many names of medicines, disorders you have to remember, that is something I am not able to. I am not sure what are the subjects/modules she took but I can remember some: psychology, health sciences, human behaviors ... etc are some she took. In Singapore, the job is indeed rewarding, it is a stable job. Whenever you go, you will always be able to get a job because this is a job whereby it is universally recognized and in wanted. Hospitals can even bond you to them, by paying you to study, yes a good 900+ SGD comes to you, but you can't fail any subjects. And after you graduate, you get an automatic job with the hospital for 2-3 years, not too sure about the duration. Of course, when I speak of all these, I can't talk much about the experience as I have not gone through it. BUT if you want to be a nurse, you have to be prepared to do the dirty work and doing up the responsibility because it is very likely the older nurses would bully you. But then again, if the joy of helping people is stronger than the pain of doing more work, I guess this is the work for you. I hope this will help you in your future choices.