xisto Community
Matt2

Windows Vista Will you be upgrading?

Hey,

Windows Vista was pubically realised worldwide yesterday my time. Will you be upgrading to Vista? Have you upraded to Vista?

I haven't upgraded to it and probably won't. The only time we would get it is if we bought a PC and Windows XP and this PC are doing fine at the moment. The price tag eventually should go down to a price that people would actually be prepared to pay at the moment the most expensive package is around $1000. Most companies will be waiting around a year for everything to settle down before they will plan to upgrade to it.

It looks quite cool but I haven't seen many screenshots of it. I'm just wondering if Apple will have to update their boot camp software for Windows Vista. I think they will be, but it will be a while I think as they are still in beta with the Windows XP version of Boot Camp.

It doesn't look anything amazing to me, it just looks like they have improved on Windows XP.

Heres 100 reasons you'll be speachless with Windows Vista, I'm looking through it now. Click here.

Edited by Matt2 (see edit history)

I won?t upgrade unless it is necessary for work purposes or something like that. I?m sure that my machine is not fast enough for Windows Vista Requirements. Anyway I?m tired of Microsoft operating systems and I?m not going to do the beta testing for them (because I?m sure there will be lots of bugs like in XP and they will have to launch a service pack soon).

;) a windows vista upgrade decision flowchart can be found at BBSPOT to help you decide what to do now that vista is finally out in the market. (for mature audience only ;))

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

easy answer for me...NO!!! NEVER ;)

Haha, I'm with him. I mean, yeah, I know that the graphics are supposed to be a lot nicer and all, but currently there's no software market that uses it. - I'd like to use my P2P apps WITHOUT emulation if just for argument's sake.That and I'm a linux-ish guy.

Also I have heard on some Computer Support Forums that some people want to uninstall the beta version because they can't play games and use programs that they would like to.

I will take my sweet time waiting to upgrade. Main reasons:1. Need more RAM (I need more for XP anyway)2. No need for it (I like flash and fluff, but it's not strictly necessary)3. Lack of support (my dad probably hasn't seen it yet).

Well, the answer is a "NO" for me too.I am planning to switch to Linux when I will get my new PC which will be I guess 2 months from now so no need to take the tension of upgrading to Vista and I hate Windows XP itself, I know the graphics and all are a lot nicer but graphics don't really fascinate me to be honest. And on top of that I am not going to buy it and I might end up in trouble with the pirated copy if I ever connect to the internet.Still I might have a dual-boot with Ubuntu and Vista, Vista for my gaming purposes and Linux for everything else. ;)

hehI might upgrade to Vista someday thought it won't be for the near future.have you seen those prizes man???? outrageous for an operation system!!I'd rather download it illegal then pay such a prize for an OS that uses the maximum of your computer system.my pc is fully capable of running vista, but i rather stay at windows xp.anyway linux sounds a very good idea, if you compare the amount of crashes with windows and linuxonly bad thing about linux is the development of games on the platform, which are kinda a big point in my view ^^mm I'm surely gonna wait for it untill the prizes drop or untill i can get it for free ^^[edit]lol i just found out that i can get a serial for free ^^ thank you msdnaaheh but i hate waiting while my hdd is formatting

Edited by sniperkiller (see edit history)

I have no plans to update mine, since xp is working great for me... plus, usually things that microsoft lets out into the market is pretty bugged at first, and that's why they release so many patches and security updates and all... I think I'll let them sort throough all that stuff a little longer before I get my version of vista.Mind you, so long as I have this computer, I don't really see the point. Maybe I will buy it, but that's unlikely, since I'm happy with what I have and I've never upgraded any of my other computers before. By the time I needed a new one, the new operating system came on the computer I was buying, so I'm guessing that will be the same with vista in a few years when I might be needing a new machine.The pictures do look impressive though...

NEWSFLASH: VISTA EXPLOIT FOUND! Vista has speech recognition hole

Microsoft has admitted that speech recognition features in Vista could be hijacked so that a PC tells itself to delete files or folders.

but of course, microsoft downplays vista's apparent security threat as outlined in the article. ;)

There are also additional barriers that would make an attack difficult. -- Microsoft security researcher

anybody has vista, can you test deleting files via speech recognition voice commands in mp3 (perhaps just record some commands on your own)? then tell us of your experience. ;)

Less than 2 days following how long of a Beta testing process? That's funny... XD.But as the article explains, there are several events which need to occur all at the same time, under the right conditions, etc. before the files would be deleted. So don't turn on the speakers when you have the microphone connected. *wait* mine are all built-in ... how do I turn them off???

Less than 2 days following how long of a Beta testing process? That's funny... XD.

But as the article explains, there are several events which need to occur all at the same time, under the right conditions, etc. before the files would be deleted. So don't turn on the speakers when you have the microphone connected. *wait* mine are all built-in ... how do I turn them off???

set volume level to MUTE. ;) or use headphones instead (the variety without microphones included, as it may pick up the voice commands because of the proximity of the microphone to the sound source). ;)

I think Vista is n00b. Flip3D = Resource hog that I never use, Ultimate Extras (with Vista Ultimate only) = ;), Aero Style = MAC OS X AQUA PWNS!, User Account Control = Worse than Microsoft. So, Windows Vista is waaaaay overated, but I do like its speech recognition. I have already upgraded and Vista is better than XP but never better than a Mac or Penguin!