xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Saint_Michael

S & M Reviews Pan's Labyrinth Not Peter Pan I I or I I I

Set in 1940s Spain against the postwar repression of Franco's Spain, a fairy tale that centers on Ofelia, a lonely and dreamy child living with her mother and adoptive father, who is a military officer tasked with 'ridding the area' of rebels. In her loneliness, Ofelia creates a world filled with fantastical creatures and secret destinies. With Fascism at its height, Ofelia must come to terms with her world through a fable of her own creation.

Well to start off it was 1944 Spain, so WWII has about a year left which includes D-Day but anyways this movie was done in Spain which meant subtitles. I put it like this, if the pan movie was done in English it would have been so so, however the Spanish work perfect with the movie, especially the music that was played during this movie.

I would say about an 1.5 hours into the movie I remembered Pan is a Greek demi-god who is part goat, go figure it clicked on this.

So anyways the story was well paced throughout 2 hours and some change, the director mixed in fantasy and reality perfect as well. The music that was played was awesome it was soft and beautiful and sometimes sad as well.

The CGI on the fantasy characters was awesome the designs although dark colored were well detailed especially the pan character. Although their were some fairies in the movie they were very hard to see since the settings was dark (not enough light).

The movie had some funny moments and some plain out cringed moments. Their was a lot of shooting, blood spatter and some other funky stuff. But it was the sadness of this movie that made it powerful

This movie I predict has an Oscar under it because I haven't seen a movie this good in like forever, This is a must see for a good story and definitely a must have DVD when and if it comes out.

My ratings

Story 10/10
Characters/Cast 10/10
Music 10/10

If your looking for a good story this is the movie for it.

I loved it too, and the fact that it is in Spanish too because i speak Spanish very good and to tell you the truth, it was a great idea to do it in that language, it was different and original in my opinion.The story is very simple and beautiful, i give it 10 too.The actors were well choosen in my opinion, perfect to be exact!