xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
wild20

Could Our Site Be The Next Geek.com? What do you think?

A guy and I just started a site. Even got the domain, all ready. My question is, can we be the next geek.com? We want to have more features and load it down with user support as well. We want this to be big. First day, we listed it with google, and got 160 hits. Two days, three members signups. Not bad, if you ask me, just need more reviews. So what do you think? The URL is not domain yet, because we are waiting on a friend who is registering it for us and is off for the day, so bear with me. lol.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Here is our advert statement we use, to, you can tell me what you think of both. Thanks!

TechnoSavvy: The Visions of Today, Becoming the Technology of Tomorrow

TechnoSavvy is dedicated to bringing the world reviews and information on latest technology, devices, and Internet services. In the future, we hope to set up archives, tutorials, and some services which will be useful and beneficial to you. Our services will eventually include:
Forums w/ points system for benefits
Archived reviews
Tutorials
Feedback on devices
Owner Support for devices (if a user has a device, they may post replies for support questions on the device)
Device Images (get a feel for what the device looks like)
Small services (such as scripts sales and distribution)

We are looking at the next technological advancement in techie reviews. A fully functional, easily accessible site without complicated navigation and user friendly site that is loaded with features, user support, and reviews. Best of all, we want NO ads on the forums. The forums will always be dedicated to reviews, posting, and support, leaving you with a safe environment and an uncomplicated website.

We hope you will take this time to join our forum and become an active member. We are working hard to develop it and its site, knowing that we have people ready to read reviews and depend on it for latest technology. Whether you want to read reviews, or post them, we are glad to have you. Thank you!

Hmm... Aiming high, that's what I like. 160 hits, is that unique, or non-unique? I think personally your going pretty good, you just need to now get the domain, and start advertising. Without advertising, no-one will come and the site will be a waist of time if your wanting a website like this. I don't know, maybe you could do some sort of link exchange program or similar. But one thing I would like to see for a website like this is some sort of actual website, not just a forum. Whether that is some sort of CMS, or something you have made. I have an offer for you, I will give you my vbulletin (licensed) for free to help you get going. If you are familiar with vBulletin, that is great, and I believe on there modification website they have some CMS mods. Drop me a message if you want to accept this.

Hi, your site sounds good to me, although geek.com is a big competitor i think by offering as good or better services with the right SEO you could make it big. Im interested in the script sales/distribution service, if you plan on distributing scripts would that mean that user's can submit scripts and have them distributed for free? If so i think that could be usefull for users and you as a webmaster. Keep up the good work :P

Shining:We are actually going to use IP.Dynamic, but thank you for your kind offer. the hits were non-unique, so nothing big, I just saw the significance.Shadowx:Yes, we will have a scripts database. I would implore you to join, and as soon as we have the IP.Dynamic, I would be interested in having you help us get free scripts/ built scripts, in exchange for a credit link to a site of your choice for every script you submit. Anyway we can get user involvement, we will. Thanks!

Design wise it looks great. It looks professional and if i were just someone who found you on google i would think you had lots of information. Your site looks like it will do great. I don't know about the next geek.com yet, just because they have been around and it will take you awhile to catch up to them.

I'd never heard of geek.com before so content-wise I guess I'm not one to judge... but looking at the two side-by-side, your layout is certainly easier on the eyes. If the forums were a bit more filled out, and I (as someone who had never visited either) was asked to pick which one was better established, I'd go with yours just because it looks so much more put together. If you're as persistent as you seem, I'm sure you'll catch up to them eventually. ;)

Thank you everyone. We are working pretty hard at it. Content is the main thing, so I am trying to review everything I can. We also got a points system up. And so now, people doing reviews will be able to receive benefits, a main thing we need to work on. What would be a good benefit to offer people? I was thinking a script, but I could be wrong. Maybe they would want a list of completely compiled sites for webmasters and device users. Might take a while to compile. lol. Oh well.On the design, we actually chose the design for its professional look, and I am really happy with it. All other input is more than welcome. Thanks!