xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BooZker

High School Is A Waste Of Time And Money 4 years of schooling that i finished in one week

This is not a rant. This is not a complaint. This is a question. Why do we have a school system like high school. High school is a waste of your money and time. I'm 16 years old. I'm not a "badass" I'm not a criminal, F student, drinker, smoker, father, or anything like that. What i am is a college student at 16 majoring in graphic design with a 3.5 GPA.

Most people do not know you can go directly from middle school to college. I went for my freshman year at a high school and hated it. I was failing algebra, had a D in science, and had bad grades like this the whole time. Was it because i am stupid? No. When i tested out at the college i maxed out the reading, so i do not have to take ANY reading classes, i got the highest english you can get, and math i got into algebra II. But wait i failed algebra I. Just in case you don't know, high school math goes like this now, Algebra I, Geometry, then Algebra II. So i skipped an entire year of math?

In washington state to get into college you need a high school diploma or GED. Since i didnt have a high school diploma i decided, what the hell, i'll get a GED then go to college. I passed every test on my first try after going to high school one year and failing math and science. Now that i am in college i got a B in math, A in typography , B in graphic design, and an A in integrated media (this is like a graphic design appreciation class). So 2 Bs and 2 As pretty good for a 16 year old high school drop out.

The point of this post is to ask why do you go to high school? Why would you waste your time? If your my age, by the time you graduate high school i will be on my way to California to go to the best know graphic design college in the country, Art Center in Pasadena, California. You'll have wasted 4 years of your life that i completed in a week.

WAIT! What about friends, what about prom, dances, drama, ect. I'm not a nerdy person, im not considered ugly, fat, geeky, or anything. If anything popular. I would rather spend my time going to the dances with my girlfriend that are not at high school. People assume normally that i'm some super smart geeky dude and thats why i dont like school and did so good in college. Just for purpose of proving m point go to https://myspace.com/browser That is me. Do i look like the type of person you would think of when you say "he is a 16 year old college student"?

Why do you have to do these things? Why not spend the extra time you have, about 3-4 years, doing things just like that. They dont have to be at a school you know. You would make friends in college just as i have. I have friends who range from 19-30 yrs of age.

You say employers dont hire people who are GED holders. False also. My first job ever was at Target as a cashier. They saw me motivated since i dropped high school to just go to college.

I just want to know these questions:

1. What is the point of the high school system?

2. Why would you want to spend that kind of tax money on an extra system we do not need?

3. Why make high school 4 years when i clearly have been able to do it in a week?

4. Why would you want to get a high school diploma over a bachlores degree?

That's all. Now i get my credits and my answers, hopefully my answers.

Remember i think education is a great thing. My girlfriend wants to be a nurse. At her high school though they have no programs for medical fields at all. Her parents wont let her drop and go to college until she is 18 either. So now after she is done with high school it will take her twice as long just because the high school can't provide the stuff we need for career options.

This is based on the United States of America's school system by the way. You know, the one who has worse scores then some of the most pour third world countries.

1. To learn it's that easy2. Because it is the law3. Because you know what you want to do, although a stupid choice especially since the Computer industry is more competitive then anything else. Also most businesses frown on GED students, not because they failed because they quit.4. It's called progress and achievement because then you have options of what you want to do.BTW High school is for general education, college is for focus education that is why high schools do not provide nursing. Also by the time some people graduate they will have saved money for college.Kids your age don't know what it's like out their thinking it just parties and making booty calls. For me it's was poor judgment and putting it off that has me where I am. I am 25 and I should be working in the corporate world but I just now going to college not because I need to but because in order to get anywhere in this world you need a crappy piece of paper saying you went to college. Unless you have rich parents try living on $5-600 bucks a month, it's not that easy. $5 says you never thought about those adults who work at McDonald's or burger king that are are like 40 years old. Not talking about Managers and all that, talking about the people who empty trash bins. Those are the people struggling because of bad decisions they made earlier in life. So you think just by dropping out of high school and getting a GED you expect a good job after college, maybe but like I said most people frown at the idea you didn't graduate college. So it is something to think about, if you were smart to finish off the college semester and get yourself back in high school and do something better then a GED. Your a kid, your not old enough to buy a house or even vote, so enjoy it while it lasts because once you turn 18 you are on your own and no one can decided what you should do. Unless your in the military or something.Playing the game of life is not as easy as playing a video game, you don't get a continue or an extra life. You get one chance and you have live with the decisions that you make.

the point of having a high school system is not because it's a waste of time, but because it is part of a transition from lower system like grade school, to an even higher system, which is college. all the training that is being taught in highschool is a prerequisite in college, all the subjects a student needs to take, and of course to enhance his/her abilities and discover what kind of course he/she feels more appropriate for them when they step out of highschool and go to college. other stuff like, proms and friends, are part of the whole process of learning. and the integral of everything that is learned in highschool is helpful when it one steps to college. indeed i believe that there are some stuff that is not necessary to take anymore, but i don't think it's a waste of time, nor money. that probably should answer your number 1 and number 2.to answer your number 3, here's my point. not everyone is as talented/skillful/mentally upgraded (for lack of a better term) like you. in fact i find your entire post kinda conceited and i somehow took it as an offense at first. but as i've read on, that you've mentioned you're just 16 and you've already stepped into college, i felt like i need not be angry, that i should be laughing my pants off. that's because in our country, almost every teenager gets to college at that age, so there's nothing really special about that. but since you've mentioned it is in the US setting, then i need not to laugh at it. but i believe i've read a news about a kid, even younger than you who is already in his college years (and if i'm not mistaken, he's in harvard). but anyway, my point is that, not everyone has that kind of ability to just pass the entire highschool in just one week. to answer your last question. it is not really about which to take over which. like what saint_michael has mentioned (and i've pointed it out as well), high school is more like a general education, but the training you get there is a prerequisite of what you're going to take in college. like what i've said, not everything is necessary to take in highschool if you really want to enhance your skills on your specialization, but since it's part of the process of learning, it is somehow made as a necessary thing to take. indeed a highschool diploma is not comparable to a college degree, basically because you can't compare them. a highschool diploma is a recognition that you've accomplished 4 years of training yourself to get ready for college. it's not really "wasting time".most kids go to highschool because they believe that it will be fun--that they'll get to meet new friends, face new challenges-- it's all part of growing up, not only physically, but for the entire well-being as well. the most striking thing about highschool is that it is situated at a teen's age of maturity, that whatever happens to them in highschool, all the experiences (good or bad) are all put to memory, and would last for a lifetime. it is the experience that makes it worthwhile. that i think, is what differentiates highschool from college. in college, people are more serious, more mature, more focused in going out to the real world and work for their own money. of course just because kids in highschool are more carefree, doesn't mean it's all about partying, and clubbing. it's the experience they get in highschool, the part when they start to mature, that's something a kid that goes to college instantly can't have. true, you could have friends that range from ages, but the experience would be incomparable.

I agree to you almost that high school education should not be a nesscessity but upto a point ,not everyone could catch up fast like you and me ,In my country we cant jump like you can so i do my business(mostly offline) along with my college so i could be years ahead financially compared to those graduating with me.i hate the slow learning myself,believe me its damn good in u.s. that you could take up more subjects in a semester in your college ,but wtf that in my country we dont have any such priviledge ,here i know i could pass out my 4 year degree college in 1.5 or max two years but unfortunately i dont have that priviledgr in my country :P .I am doing degree college only because of getting a sort of security that if mu business don't run i wont have any trouble getting a job if i have my degree, a person should have a liberty to complete his studies as fast as he want ,but what the hell we generally don't get it and we waste our time in obsolete book knowledge rather than practical knowledge of the world which is so interesting,so much challenging.as far as social life is concerned i mostly prefer partying with my business friends rather than my college friends ,though some are good ,most of them are dull asses ,who are so accustomed to living slow life that they don't know the power of speed.life is so good and challenging for free thinkers but really dumb for social conditioning followers.someone above said its law ,but they forget its only those free thinkers that who make and break law and acheive their target ,if every one goes straight doesn't mean even you should ,BE DIFFERENT , BE UNIQUE ,going as an average person never makes you bill gates or gandhiji .they were different that their peers ,do thinks your own way rather than following and being like someone else.and i really agree that going through the slow education standard is a really bore,we have a marks sytem rather than grade in our country and i top my college last year but more success i get in studies more i feel i am wasting my time in collegecare a hell to those slow thinkers :D and do wat you can do in the best way possible :P

The point of the high school system is a tradition and to further education. First of all, i am a college student and like you kinda felt like i could have been in college instead of high school. However, i decided to make the most of my time there. I enjoyed a great time with friends and enjoying being a kid for a little longer. I took classes in high school that i enjoyed like Programming for 3 years and Marketing, Choir, etc. along with the required courses and beyond like Calculus. The reason was simple, if i took these now and did well in them not only would it give me a better chance to get into the school of my choice but also if i had to take these courses in college, i would already have an understanding of the material and be able to concentrate a bunch of my time on other classes that need it.

Plus, how many 16 year old kids would be able to handle living at a school with people older than them and being on their own? Most 16 year olds can not even drive yet so this would be a major issue. 16 year olds should not be going out til 3 am partying and possibly drinking like most college students. They just have not matured yet. This is a big reason for why there is high school.

2. Why would you want to spend that kind of tax money on an extra system we do not need?

Like i explained above we do need it since its a large portion of a childs time when they are maturing and starting to gain more responsibilities like working, driving, etc. It is not an easy thing to go from dependence on your parents to complete independence so high school is used as a time to not only further your education but also increase responsibilities slowly so that when you do graduate, you do not have as large of a jump.

3. Why make high school 4 years when i clearly have been able to do it in a week?

Just because you think you were able to do it in a week there are plenty of things you missed. You missed lots of extracuricular activities where this is the only time in your life when you will get a chance to do them. I got to travel for a few of my classes i would never have gone to the places i did with so many of my friends if i didnt do those activities. You missed out of dances which are held outside of high school. No new friends made that actually live close to you and are your age. You missed out on topics that might not be of the most interest to you but are helpful in the real world like economics and such that you might not have the time to take at college if you are starting your maths off at algebra 2 since my college starts maths at calculus and thus you already are far behind. There are things i can not even possibly tell you that you missed because there are so many things that high school brings that i want back. Growing up is not as fun as you think so enjoy being young because you can be that age once. I miss the fun times i had then and the lack of responsibility and ability to just relax all day when i was not at school. Trust me, work isnt as much fun as school and when you leave work, you still have stuff to do at home so you do not just get to relax. Cooking and cleaning and laundry take up lots of time.

Well, a high school diploma is a step to getting you Bachlores Degree and even then i dont want to graduate college. It is fun being there and hanging out with so many people. Life is not only about getting in to the real world and working but it also has to do with having fun. This is the time of our lives when we are supposed to have fun. You only get one chance so why waste it and why try to speed it up. Plus, you say you would rather get a Bachlores Degree instead of a diploma but how many people would higher a 16 or 18 year old into the business world and then actually treat them as an equal / adult since you technically aren't and you dont have the maturity or the experiences.

I need to clear up some things before this topic can go on.

First: Im not that smart. Yes i got into high classes, but in college the have adding and subtracting classes for gods sake. You dont need to be a genius.

Second: Yes you do need money and i was lucky that my parents are not pour. Also though, if we were to get rid of the high school system or at least shorten to maybe 1-2 years they could make college a lot cheaper. Most other countries in the first world college is free or very cheap.

Third: I'm in college and never dropped out of college. I think SM got that impression. Also i almost did go back, but when i went to go back to high school they said because i dropped out i would have to go back to a freshman? What the hell? Did you know there is no testing out in high school? Amazing. You know why i think that is amazing? Because that PROVES high school is not about learning. It's about going through these specific steps and doing what they say or no diploma.

Fourth:

Plus, how many 16 year old kids would be able to handle living at a school with people older than them and being on their own? Most 16 year olds can not even drive yet so this would be a major issue. 16 year olds should not be going out til 3 am partying and possibly drinking like most college students. They just have not matured yet. This is a big reason for why there is high school.

I'm not talking about a university. I will be going to one of those when im 18 and have my 2 year degree. Im simply talking about a community college until your mature/smart/have skills for a bigger and better school.

Fifth: I'm not planning on stopping on my 4 year degree. I'm planning on my masters then starting a career. I would be about 21-22. So you guys think that im 16 who would hire me ect, but im not going to be 16 when i try to get hired somewhere. Wouldnt you want to hire a 22 year old master degree person over a 22 year 2 year degree holder?

Sixth:

BTW High school is for general education, college is for focus education that is why high schools do not provide nursing. Also by the time some people graduate they will have saved money for college

Sothe kids who know what they want to do have to suffer? And in every neighboring school district they have nursing classes. But she can not get into the other districts. So here let me put it this way:

"I want to get started on my nursing career, i know what i want to do, i'll work hard, but hey since they dont provide it i guess i'll wait 4 years to get started on something i want do and excel at."

SM also. Yes it's the law and you could say that on so many topics here on trap. I would like an explanation other then "It's the law" I mean the suicide topic i could say no its the law, or gay rights topics, no its the law. That really isn't contributing.

SM do you really think a high school diploma is that much better? Honestly. It's that much better that i should stop going to college for a 2 year degree just to get it? Let's say i'm going to apply at Mc D's next year. Let's say your the manager. Would you hire me? My application it says 18 (im 16 but not for long) in college, last grade completed was my 2 year, and still in college for a 4 year? BUT WAIT! He has a GED. So let's not hire him. That doesn't make any sense. Maybe i just don't understand you post. It makes no sense to stop going for my 2 year degree so i can get a high school diploma. I have talked to managers before, i have worked SM, and they even said they dont even look at the grades or anything people had in high school if they are in college. Everyone said that.
Edited by BooZker (see edit history)

The point of it all is because NOT EVERYONE HAS THE DRIVE TO GET OUT OF HIGHSCHOOL THE SOONEST POSSIBLE TIME LIKE YOU DO.You're lucky that you knew what you wanted early in life and you had the drive to do it. People your age usually hasnt really thought about what they really want in life. Hence, they spend their lives one day at a time until it hits them in the head. And it usually doesnt happen til their almost out of high school or already in college. But then, not everyone who knows what they want in life want to get out of high school. Some would want to learn the basics before they step into college. I know you skipped everything and still got good grades in college, but dude, not everyone has the same level of intelligence. Or maybe they're just not focused on getting a degree just yet. Maybe they'd still want to bum around a little bit before stepping into the serious world of college.It's either that or you're just a genius. :P

Okay there is a simple answer. For those people who want to do somthing with their life instead of spending hours on the computer :P even though I'm currently spending hours on the comuter. Anyway, high school is fun. You make friends, get the girl, and all that other crap. But, the people who want to be more then a web designer, for those people who want to be suregons, for those people who just want to succeed in something like dentistry, then of course high school is in upmost importance. IF there was no high school and everybody just went to college then people would not be prepared, thats something high school also does is it prepares you for everything that comes after school, so of course you may need it, but Boozker, you are AN EXCEPTION!!!!!!!! You are the 1 out o 100 people who are ready for college, many people are not and that was somebody like me who was not ready for college and needed high school, or I would not have become anything, and when i mean anything, i mean anything. I would have become a bum, or worked a MCdonals, also if you go straight to college you cannot get a sports scolarship and you cannot get a academic scholarship so of couse people who cannot afford college, but are intelligent are going to have to go to high school, as a way to be able to afford the amount that college is going to cost. And as I have said before, high scool is fun. I mean you get to hang out with people, while learning You get to get in trouble, cause trobule learn, go to dances, eat their crappy crappy meals that they serve on the crappy crappy plates. You get to go to Gym and play sports with people you may normally never see play sports because they are not athletes. The list is endless. High school isnt just about learning about smart things lie math, socal studies, and etc. etc., but you learn life lessons, how when you do somehthing stupid or cause trouble you will get punished, for those who never knew that and in high scool if you do something tats bad you wont go to jail like in the real world, so the moral is that high school is useful and it is important and it is somethign to look forard to.!!!!! :P

I need to clear up some things before this topic can go on.

First: Im not that smart. Yes i got into high classes, but in college the have adding and subtracting classes for gods sake. You dont need to be a genius.

yes and the ignorants also say that. :P like what i've said high school is part of the training for the transition to college. it's where your faculties, skills and intellect are being trained well for you to be ready for college. it's also the time you'd be able to decide what course you're going to take in college.

i actually starting to find this thread kinda, oh i don't know... insulting maybe. i came from a family of middle to low financial status, but i was still able to go to a respected science high school, and mind you that school is 100% government subsidized so i didn't have to pay anything, given the great quality of education given there. i needed/wanted to go to high school to improve myself and here you go saying that it's a waste of time and money. money need not be an issue here. if you want to go to school then there are lots of ways to get there--probably through scholarships.

Also i almost did go back, but when i went to go back to high school they said because i dropped out i would have to go back to a freshman? What the hell? Did you know there is no testing out in high school? Amazing. You know why i think that is amazing? Because that PROVES high school is not about learning. It's about going through these specific steps and doing what they say or no diploma.

the reason why some educational institutions require a student to go back to freshman status because there are certain stuff that their institution only teaches. it's not because they want to annoy the heck out of you and make you suffer to start all over again. moreover, they do that because there maybe some stuff that you need to recall from subjects.

Fourth:

I'm not talking about a university. I will be going to one of those when im 18 and have my 2 year degree. Im simply talking about a community college until your mature/smart/have skills for a bigger and better school.

sounds like high school to me. it's as if you're just ranting that "oh why can't high school be like this? in just two years, i'll be graduating." that since you weren't able to go back to highschool and that you're in a community college that offers the same stuff as highschool only it ends earlier, you already assume that highschool is a waste of time and money. it's as if you're just rationalizing.

Wouldnt you want to hire a 22 year old master degree person over a 22 year 2 year degree holder?

it depends really. most companies would prefer college grads who have lots of experience. sometimes it doesn't really matter for a company what kind of degree you have. it's the experience that matters. for me, a master's degree is a proof how a person has dedicated himself to his chosen career and will try to help improve it.

Sixth:

Sothe kids who know what they want to do have to suffer?

"I want to get started on my nursing career, i know what i want to do, i'll work hard, but hey since they dont provide it i guess i'll wait 4 years to get started on something i want do and excel at."

a very immature and disturbing statement. why do you think that it's about suffering? most people here have already said they went/go to high school because they believe it's fun, and that they get to meet a lot of new friends that could probably end up their life long friends, if not relationships. most teens would want to stay teens for a little while longer so they could enjoy their life a little bit more because they know things would be different once they step out to college, and here you are trying to hurry your life by going to college and ranting that high school is a waste of time.

SM also. Yes it's the law and you could say that on so many topics here on trap. I would like an explanation other then "It's the law" I mean the suicide topic i could say no its the law, or gay rights topics, no its the law. That really isn't contributing.

here's an excerpt from wikipedia. i've put your point in bold letters, along with the whole point of one of the essence of what highschool is.

In the United States, high schools generally consist of grades 9, 10, 11, and 12, although the inclusion of grade 9 varies by school district. A student that is not initially enrolled in a pre-kindergarten class will generally graduate from high school in the year of their 18th birthday if they were born between January 1 and August 31, but this varies by state depending on the kindergarten cut-off date, which ranges from August 1 in Missouri to January 1 in Connecticut [2]. A few American schools still incorporate grades 7 through 12, but the norm is usually either grades 9-12 or grades 10-12. For purposes of the GPA and subject requirements used for college admission, grade 9 is usually considered the first year of high school regardless of whether the student is in the last year of a 7-9 junior high program, or the first year of a 9-12 high school program. While high school is generally defined as being grades 9-12, there are some senior high schools that cover only grades 10-12, and typically accept students from a junior high school that includes grades 7-9. Some states consider grades 7-12 to be secondary education, while others consider grades 6-12 to be secondary education.

Previous to attending a high school or senior high school, students attend a junior high school (usually grades 7-9), a middle school (usually grades 5-8. 6-8. or 7-8), or an elementary school (usually grades K-8), which may also be known as a grammar school. Individual states, counties, and school districts have considerable leeway in how they choose to divide their school levels.

About 90% of American students complete high school, however in some cities the graduation rate is much lower (such as in Santa Ana and Los Angeles, California, where less than 50% of students graduate), and in some much higher (such as Bucks County, Pennsylvania, with a graduation rate of 99%). [3] [4] A high school diploma or GED certificate is usually required for entrance into a two or four-year college or university and to other post-secondary education programs.

As a practical matter, while laws in most states mandate school attendance at least until graduation or age 16, many require attendance until age 17 or 18. (However, enforcement of truancy laws is sporadic.) Conversely, students who have failed a grade may remain in high school past the age of 18. In general, students over 18 attend alternative classes to receive a GED. State laws vary on the cut-off age for students to receive free public education services. Many states have adult high schools for people generally 19 and over.

Some refer to high school as "the most suffering four years" in their lives. Realistically, however, high school is just like another stage in life.

I have talked to managers before, i have worked SM, and they even said they dont even look at the grades or anything people had in high school if they are in college. Everyone said that.

indeed the employers need not look at the secondary education of the applicant, because it doesn't apply to the job's requirements at all. just like sarcastically saying, "oh maybe 4 years of primary education shouldn't be necessary anymore as well". :P the point is "it's a part of the training" and like what wikipedia says "it's a part of life." like what i've said, it seems that you're just rationalizing on the issue.

I feel like the high school system isn't just training with books. It's socializing. It's a way to get people ready to meet people and learn about life. I loved my time in high school. Because of it I discovered what I want to do with my life by taking classes in desktop publishing.While taxes may be high, and some may feel the way that the original poster does......I disagree. We need schooling to help prepare people for the real world. There's some lessons you can't learn by sitting at home and taking a G.E.D. test.

It'd be nice if everyone could do as you did, since I am getting very bored of HS, but in order to get into the program I want to take, I need to take high school level courses (maths, sciences) to lay down a foundation for the courses in post-secondary. A GED might be great for someone studying a creative field, but it doesn't work so well for engineering.

To answer your questions:

It gives kids a few extra years to sort out their life? A lot of people don't know what they want to do by middle school, let alone where they want to study or how they'll get the money. Besides, if we abolished general education as a rule, we'd have a bunch of middle-aged business managers with atrocious spelling. Just because its not needed for you to get a job, doesn't mean its not good for you. :P

Begging the question... I think we do need it, so I would be willing to spend my tax money on it, though my income is too low for me to pay any taxes atm.

a.) Not everyone can do it in 1 week
b.) A GED doesn't cover the requirements for many post-secondary programs, mainly science and applied science (pure science, engineering, medicine, etc).
c.) Learning over a longer period of time gives you a greater mastery of whatever you study, since its ingrained more deeply into your memory.

For me, and many others, its not either/or. It's both/neither, as stated above.

I think its great that you've managed to accelerate things in your life as you have, but that sort of thing really only works in very specific situations. If it were to work for more academic programs, it would require a lot of modifications to the system we have now (namely, teaching HS level maths and sciences in college/uni), and really would not save that much time. I don't believe it would ever work for those who require hands-on teaching or a little more time studying (to avoid the word "dumb" :P ).

i actually starting to find this thread kinda, oh i don't know... insulting maybe. i came from a family of middle to low financial status, but i was still able to go to a respected science high school, and mind you that school is 100% government subsidized so i didn't have to pay anything, given the great quality of education given there. i needed/wanted to go to high school to improve myself and here you go saying that it's a waste of time and money. money need not be an issue here. if you want to go to school then there are lots of ways to get there--probably through scholarships.

How could you find this insulting? You can huge discounts in college if you want to learn. I mean massive deductions off of admissions. Not only that let's say you got that, you could get a scholarship. one of my best friends in my design classes is always broke and lives by himself. He only pays a few hundred a month rahter then a 1000 like me.

it's also the time you'd be able to decide what course you're going to take in college.

You do know you dont have to major in anything right? You also know that you can take simple math, English, and science if you want? You dont have to take Graphic Design 122 you can take the exact same math and science and english you did in high school and not major in anything until you know what you want to major in.

It gives kids a few extra years to sort out their life? A lot of people don't know what they want to do by middle school, let alone where they want to study or how they'll get the money. Besides, if we abolished general education as a rule, we'd have a bunch of middle-aged business managers with atrocious spelling. Just because its not needed for you to get a job, doesn't mean its not good for you.

I still dont understand why you cant have basic classes in college? Please explain.

sounds like high school to me. it's as if you're just ranting that "oh why can't high school be like this? in just two years, i'll be graduating." that since you weren't able to go back to highschool and that you're in a community college that offers the same stuff as highschool only it ends earlier, you already assume that highschool is a waste of time and money. it's as if you're just rationalizing.

You want to know the difference?

One, you dont have a teacher saying no you can't go to the bathroom jimmy.

You dont have a teacher calling your parents, umm jimmy isn't doing his work.

You can pick the times you want to go and fits your schedule. You dont usually go for 6-7 hrs a day 5 days a week THEN have homework. You go maybe a max of 10 hrs go two days a week if you want and get the same education if not better.

You aren't treated like a 5 year old even when your 17. I mean even at the age of 17 you are not allowed to leave the school in a lot of schools and the schools that let you leave are only for lunch. I mean come on, you have to have a fricken PASS to go to the bathroom. Where is the respect?

There are classes that you would like. Even if you dont want to major in video production, you could take a video production class, while at high school you have about 4 required classes and 1 free class to take. Why not give kids something they want to learn and something they can use ater on. There is a class in my old high school called focus, which was required. In that class, which was 30 mins, you sat there and did homework. You had a fricken class to do homework. Why not get out 30 mins earlier to do HOMEwork.

a.) Not everyone can do it in 1 week

Let say it even takes a whole entire YEAR. Thats still three years shorter. There are classes you can take for the GED and if you do well in the class you dont even have to take the GED.

People that require more time take easier classes. I mean there are some really basic classes.

I do not think high school is a waste of time, the basic subjects you learn in junior school perhaps are english, maths, science and a couple of other languages? High school or secondary school as I call it would better prepare you for college. When you have just graduate from junior school, you are about 12? Most of us would not be mature enough to be handling 6 project deadlines in 2 weeks, your academic results is impressive, 3.5 is something which you have to average a B+ in every subject. But do note that in my tertiary institution, there are people who average 4.0 in every subject, so there is always somebody better than you. You are still young, enjoy your high school and have fun because as you grow older, you will find that you wished that you have done this and that when you were younger, high school is the time to do that. Enjoy yourself and the process of growing up, no need to rush into becoming an adult so quickly. High school isn't about academic results only. And like what was mentioned in the other post, you would not know what to do when you are 12. A lot of us aspire to be this and that, but as you grow older, these dreams/aspirations change. I am not saying all of us are like this, but this is what I have been through and experienced. When I was young, I aspire to be an Astronaut because I was so fascinated with the galaxy, in particular comets, asteroids and meteors. But as I grew older, I realized that this was not possible, how big a chance do you have out of the billions of people who could get a chance to be an astronaut, and furthermore how are you going to get noticed if your country does not have a facility to train us to be astronauts? And the most wonderful thing of my life came from the experience in high school, crushes and love. You are walking into the classroom and you would be thinking whether there would be any hot girls in the same class as you, or whether you are handsome enough to attract those cute babes. The sweet chase of you thinking whether that girl likes me or not. And though all these experiences can also be emulated in the later stage of your life, but at the point of high school, this is when our emotions rise, our hormones grow and our curiosity reaches its boiling point. So just sit back relax, enjoy your younger years because this is the moments you will cherish when you get older. At least for me.

i was a bit offended when you said that if the highschool system should be abolished or at least reduced to 2 years (which was probably the amount of time you'll spend in community college, that's why you're comparing the two, which doesn't make any sense because these are two different things). that it would make things a lot cheaper. it's as if you're saying that in order for kids to attend highschool, they have to be financially capable, so to make things easier, cheaper and "practical" (as you say), your proposal is to abolish it completely. that is why i've mentioned that even at low financial status (by telling my story), you could still be able to go to high school.

I still dont understand why you cant have basic classes in college? Please explain.

because it is presumed that a person who is in college already knows that stuff. a person with a high-level of thinking, who is already in college, obviously know all the basics, so the need to take them isn't necessary. the subjects offered in college is somewhat related in one way or another to what one is going to take.

One, you dont have a teacher saying no you can't go to the bathroom jimmy.

You dont have a teacher calling your parents, umm jimmy isn't doing his work.

You can pick the times you want to go and fits your schedule. You dont usually go for 6-7 hrs a day 5 days a week THEN have homework. You go maybe a max of 10 hrs go two days a week if you want and get the same education if not better.

You aren't treated like a 5 year old even when your 17. I mean even at the age of 17 you are not allowed to leave the school in a lot of schools and the schools that let you leave are only for lunch. I mean come on, you have to have a fricken PASS to go to the bathroom.

see? you already sound like you're ranting about it. i remember you mentioning "it's not a rant, it's not a complaint", but from the tone of your posts, it seems that you're doing the opposite. the freedom that college offers students is part of the idea that a student who is in college is mature enough to think for themselves. hmm... maybe i should repeat my statement... if you didn't get it by now... i won't ever get tired of saying this, it is part of the training in high school. and since it happens during the adolescence stage of a person, where a person usually becomes "curious" of a lot of stuff, the training would be beneficial in the long term.

and by saying such, it already shows the immature side in you.

Where is the respect?

respect comes when a person shows proper manners and prudence in his/her own actions. if i see a person that acts accordingly, i would think "hey, he's a cool guy." in that way i somehow think he is a person worth of respect. moreover, if he treats me with respect, then respect i can give out in return.

There are classes that you would like. Even if you dont want to major in video production, you could take a video production class, while at high school you have about 4 required classes and 1 free class to take. Why not give kids something they want to learn and something they can use ater on.

again, it's the freedom that college gives students. again, it goes back to the idea that students are mature enough to be thinking on his own.