xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
farsiscript

Dvd Drive Device Selection Question

Hi , i want buy DVD device ( Rom + writer) but i can't find any good kind of DVD device ! what kind of DVD device are you using ? what is your recommend ?1 - Sony 2 - Asus 3 - LG4 - samsung5 - teacand ....1 - in many DVD device we see DVD+RW and in other we see DVD-RW , thats different in DVD+RW and DVD-RW ?2 - what is Frameware in DVD device ?

Edited by BuffaloHELP (see edit history)

Ok now a days it doesnt really matter which brand of drive your purchase. They all will work and last just as long. In fact, most of them currently write to both DVD+RW and DVD-RW. There is a very small difference in these formats and basically, it just depends what your dvd player supports but almost all players support both so unless you have a really old dvd player, all the dvds will work no matter what format. Basically, the only other reason the + or - matter is when you buy your blank media, if you buy the wrong type, it will not work with your burner. To prevent this hassle, just get a drive that supports both.Firmware does not matter with DVD drives since it is stored on the drive itself and the user has no control over it. Finally, the last thing you need to know about DVD burners is that there are drives the support a technology called LightScribe which allows a user burn a label onto the DVD in color as long as they are using LightScribe dvds. It is very handy since it does not require effort to do. The media does cost more than the normal dvds but could be worth it. Plus these drives work with other media too but you just cant burn an image onto them.

Selecting the correct type, either + or -, was a factor if you were going to play a movie with a DVD player. But with recent develpment in software technology you can play DVD+ disks in most DVD player with the correct setting called, Booktype or BitSetting to DVD-ROM. This will trick any DVD player to recognize DVD+R disk as DVD-R disk style. This will also overcome most DVD drives on older computers to read DVD+R disks. DVD-R's are 99.99% universal.But note that DVD+-RW is completely different and only DVD players that made compatible with DVDRW disks can play DVDRW disks.DVD+-R's are good but look into DVD+-R/W DL (dual layer) as well. Sony was the first to release DL writing drive, followed by Plextor (which your list lacks). The speed of the drive is great but look for higher buffer--2mb is average 8mb would be the best. Higher the writing speed, having higher buffer and burn technology would be the best way to choose your hardware. BurnProof, Safe Burn, JustSpeed etc any of these technology should be present in your hardware. Otherwise, you should burn at the lowest burning speed to ensure an accurate burning process time after time.And finally, I would go with a hardware that includes Nero software.

thanks my friends fffanatics and BuffaloHELP , its realy nice topic about dvd players and useful information
i take this idea
sony is best dvd writer becuase

"Sony was the first to release DL writing drive, followed by Plextor (which your list lacks)."

and i must buy high buffer dvd writersorry my next question about your info "LightScribe" we must buy label for dvd or this technology use own label for example interpolation on dvd ?

I'm not sure Sony has the best DVD burners, just because they first made DualLayer burner... As a matter of fact, Sony has proven to have less than reliable CD drives, and DVD drives (except for those that are quite expensive)...

I'm using NEC ND-3540A burner, and the little thing is working perfectly... It has burned several hundred DVD's, and CD's, and still has no trouble reading even some damaged CD's or DVD's... And it was quite cheap at that... Around 50 euros back when I bought it, where Pioneer and LG sold their burnest starting at 70 euros, and had less quality than NEC...

Before you buy any burner, try to find people who have actualy used the one you want to buy, to hear first hand experiences... Asking the salesman for info, also might help (but not neccessarily)...

And LightScribe is the way of burning labels DIRECTLY on your CD's and DVD's... No need to buy separate labels and stick them on CD's or DVD's... You can visit the LightScribe homepage for more detailed info on that technology...

Hope this was helpfull...

Edited by Galahad (see edit history)

At plug computers we have had great success using Samsung drives. Although they are a bit more expensive they are usually the most reliable and best drives you can get your hands on. Check out newegg.com for a good price on one. You can get Dual layer DVD+-R/RW drives for 35 bucks or less usually. Dont skimp and buy a Lite-On, yeah, they are a great deal, but they usually carry the risk of not lasting too long. Sure, they do make some good drives, but I think you have better chances being satisfied with Samsung. Highly recommended.