xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
qu33n.Bee//x

What Makes Us Human? What is it that diffrenciates us between other species?

The title is self explanatory but what makes us human, what differentiates us from other species? is it "i think therefore i am?" like rene descartes said, speech? having opposable thumbs?

Honestly, I could write you a 10,000 word essay on various aspects of what makes us human, the purpose of life, definition of species, why humans are humans and not animals, the physcology of emotion, etc, and try and attempt to ans all the other cascade of Qn's induced by this Qn. And even then, I wouldnt have a plausable answer lol. So tell me what u guys thiink.. id like 2 knowww.. :P

A book I've read said that what separates humans from the rest of the living organisms on Earth is their ability to abstract ideas. For example, give a human a map and he'd instantly be able to distinguish that a square with a cross symbolizes a church. A couple of cusped squiggles stand for a body of water. Other primates could also be able to communicate but I think, in the known world, only humans are able to think in terms of symbols.Simply put, the alphabet and language makes us humans. By alphabet, I mean any set of predefined symbols, not necessarily part of the English alphabet. By language, I mean any set of combinations of the symbols of an alphabet bearing a predefined meaning (Those who know state machines and computer will probably be able to phrase it better than me)I was, at first, though, tempted to say that the ability to use technology makes us human. It is only true to a certain degree for some technologies, like fire and computers, are completely beyond the capability of most, if not all, species. However, some primates, like chimpanzees, use twigs very much in the same way humans use forks to eat. Bees are also able to create very efficient housing, whose strength could probably rival those of our own edifices.I also considered if culture makes us human but, as it is, some animals are also capable of inhabiting culture. Bees have their own society and their own culture. A bee from another swarm that tries to enter the wrong colony is immediately killed, on account of its different "scent". Macau monkeys have also taken to washing sweet potatoes in saltwater instead of just eating them right away. Even the majestic whales have their own music culture and the songs of one herd (or school?) can be quite different from that of another of the same specie.Again, I do agree with my book that the abstraction of ideas makes us human.

agreed. ^ interesting points, i must say.Feelings/emotion differ from modalities such as dection of pain (more correctly "nociception"; plus temp, pressure, crude touch, etc etc etc) . U cnt suggest that coz an animal feels pain/nociception (for example) aswell, they too share the same emotions as humans....certainly an animal may have emotions, but to what extent? I mean logically, emotion = imabalance of chemicals in the brain, equally fesable to occur in any animal, thus they have emotions but whats attributed to these emotions?

I think the fact that humans have intelligence means that we can feel and describe our emotions more deeply than other animals can. I think intelligence also allows us to feel more emotions because we are able to process what has happened to us/others more deeply than animals can.

A book I've read said that what separates humans from the rest of the living organisms on Earth is their ability to abstract ideas. For example, give a human a map and he'd instantly be able to distinguish that a square with a cross symbolizes a church. A couple of cusped squiggles stand for a body of water. Other primates could also be able to communicate but I think, in the known world, only humans are able to think in terms of symbols.
Simply put, the alphabet and language makes us humans. By alphabet, I mean any set of predefined symbols, not necessarily part of the English alphabet. By language, I mean any set of combinations of the symbols of an alphabet bearing a predefined meaning (Those who know state machines and computer will probably be able to phrase it better than me)

I was, at first, though, tempted to say that the ability to use technology makes us human. It is only true to a certain degree for some technologies, like fire and computers, are completely beyond the capability of most, if not all, species. However, some primates, like chimpanzees, use twigs very much in the same way humans use forks to eat. Bees are also able to create very efficient housing, whose strength could probably rival those of our own edifices.

I also considered if culture makes us human but, as it is, some animals are also capable of inhabiting culture. Bees have their own society and their own culture. A bee from another swarm that tries to enter the wrong colony is immediately killed, on account of its different "scent". Macau monkeys have also taken to washing sweet potatoes in saltwater instead of just eating them right away. Even the majestic whales have their own music culture and the songs of one herd (or school?) can be quite different from that of another of the same specie.

Again, I do agree with my book that the abstraction of ideas makes us human.

wow, i never actually though of that. really, all i thought there was a god that made everything (us humans, and the whole galaxy and its items), and thats all i really thought about. heh, really nice there. what book is it called?

The language indeed seems to be the key to being human. It is so much sophisticated we can use it not just to use it to identify anything in our world, but also to talk about ourselves. This 'meta'-level and the abstraction is what really makes us human I believe. Many of what we do can be found with animals, but our potential for abstraction, philosophy and a most complex, fast developing language makes us differ.

I think that what makes us human is a desire, in some, or many of us, to strive, to better ourselves - perhaps to even look up at the stars and wonder what's 'out there'.It started thousands and thousand of years ago when the first half-human creature stood up on two legs so it could look beyond the horizon. It started with a feeling of wonder, perhaps, at a flash of lightning or a feeling of fear and awe at an eclipse, when the sun became a bird of fire, a phoenix in the sky.And it started with a desire to NOT BE CONTROLLED by these things.Humans want to be gods. They don't say it, they won't admit it, but it lies at the foundations of their souls.They DO NOT want to be at the mercy of ANYTHING - not of nature, not of disease, not of discomfort. They are the kind of species that will (and has) harnessed the lightning and turned it into a drudge-of-all-work. They want to hold the worlds in their hands and weigh their dust. They want to rise ABOVE all the laws of the universe that hold them in check.They are told that they cannot travel faster than light, that they cannot travel to the stars. What do they do? They DREAM of traveling to the very stars. And it is well they should, for with such pigheadedness this race will go far, perhaps far farther than they think.One day I feel that humans will master time and space to such an extent that they will travel back in time to the Origins of Things, and re-write the very universe to better suit the human race.And all this, this arrogance, and perhaps, this strength, this WILL, and perhaps much more, are the complex and strange parameters that make up what it means to be HUMAN.

what book is it called?

Science Explained. It's a nice hardbound book that attempts to explain science at a pedestrian level. It's got pretty pictures too :P

I think that what makes us human is a desire, in some, or many of us, to strive, to better ourselves - perhaps to even look up at the stars and wonder what's 'out there'.

I believe that the struggle for domination or this drive to pursue perfection is hardly something exclusively human. For instance, it has been said that were it not for their extinction years ago, velociraptors would be ruling the planet now instead of us.

The ferocious white shark, with its perfectly amiable nature (if you're into suicide) is also an animal that refuses to be controlled by anything. Well, only problem was that they had terrible social skills, which were, might I add, more than made up for by their voracious appetite.

Well, let's face it, almost every organism strives to better itself. Geese fly south because they do not want to be ruled by the harsh northern winters. Plants develop tendrils and "move" them using auxins so they can reach the light better. Whales evolved tails because they "believe" (if they are sentient) that life is better underwater. So this drive to be god-like is not an entirely human thing at all. We were just lucky to have had the resources and breaks in the history of evolution to arrive at where we are now :P

I might have a look at the book =] sounds interesting.

I dunno, lets look outside the box - maybe the Question answers itself? Maybe its the concept of logical thought that brings about an answer to any Question that makes us human?

Maybe Its our ability to get frustrated/intrigued/angered by this Question which signifies our worth?

In conlusion _

What does it mean to be human?

It means we can ask & answer these Question's

(LOL to put it VERY simply!)

I think the fact that humans have intelligence means that we can feel and describe our emotions more deeply than other animals can. I think intelligence also allows us to feel more emotions because we are able to process what has happened to us/others more deeply than animals can.

Hitler - People call him a murderer, soul-less, Monster, etc. But Was he not a human?

Cannibals too, are human.

What about young people who commit suicide or murder?

So, Soul, Morality, the will to live, and other symbolic icons; represent " Humanity " , then those people can not be human, correct? (hmm.._)

It's a valid point to some extent,

However there is much room for critisism;

1) Physical

2) Moral

Physical, which are the clear-cut differences.

But what about moral? Animals may share a lot in common with humans but there is no such concept as Morality in them.

Lets not confuse morality with emotion.

(wow, my head hurts, too much thinking!)

So .. we're distinct from animals because we have morals? um, know the Diff between right & wrong, or simply having a conscience*. *will an animal feel guilt after it has killed something?? Posted Image

Probably not.

Anyway my minds wondering & I see myself going strangley off topic so Im gonna stop there!

Edited by moderator (see edit history)

Humans aren't perfect.. well neither are animals either. All living things are bound to make mistakes at some point, no matter if someone proclaims to be perfect as such.But as the others said, the fact that Humans have intelligence to describe ourselves and our feelings/emotions more in a meaningful deep way than the others. But one thing that bothers living beings is cannabilism.. eg as the others said.. animals eating each other, and humans eating meat, etc.. Who knows whether if the animal feels guilty after killing another to eat.

Hi all, I never thought I would think about something like this but now I am actually replying to it. Its the uncertainity of thoughts/situations and how well we can handle them, the varied range of emotions, the ability to differentiate between whats good or bad for us(as individuals and for the whole society as well), and also our so called intelligence. We have the power to chose and the power to decide, this trait is shared by other species also but upto an extent which means they act upon their instincts rather than putting an active thought behind whatever they are doing and thats what I think makes us human.

Lots of things make us human. Our ability to think creatively, communicate with each other, recognise our own reflections, make tools for ourselves, set morals and rules, our understanding of those morals and rules, our optential to break those rules, our social limitations, y'know all the stuff that you just plain don't do because it's not acceptable and just plain wrong ... Lots and lots of things make us human.

Creative control over our activities, the potential to break a promise, hurting others feelings.. last minute decisions and happenings, uncontrollable circumstances which are caused by either fellow humans or even animals are also many other things that makes us human.

"Human" is a species, so what makes us human is membership in an actively interbreeding population with sufficient chromosomal similarity to be able to regularly produce fertile offspring through normal intercourse. Does that somewhat narrowed definition work to eliminate similar animals? It is not clear that a Humanzee is impossible, for instance, but we can still claim our own species because we aren't actively interbreeding with chimps and a hybrid might only be possible with artificial insemination, and that might be very difficult."Species" is really not as precise a term as we would like to think. We diverged from the other chimps some 6-7 million years ago, but continued to be able to interbreed with them, despite developing chromosomal differences. Eventually, those differences made, or will make interbreeding 100% impossible, but we don't know that we have reached that point. Could modern technology harvest enough chimp eggs and human sperm and create the ideal test tube conditions so that after 1,000 attempts a viable fetus was created? Wouldn't we like to draw the species line long before that point? Wherever we set it is necessarily arbitrary, especially if we use words like regularly and normally and actively, which don't have precise definitions.Another way to phrase this question is "what traits do humans have that other animals don't?" Even interpretation of symbolism is not our exclusive domain so maybe we need to say "...tend to have in greater abundance than other animals?" That doesn't really get there because premature birth of what is essentially a helpless fetus, for instance, doesn't really make us special in a way we are proud of. Hairless mammary glands in the female population...no, however pride-provoking that may be, it is not really what we want to claim. God created man to have dominion over the other animals...is that what we are trying to get to, some unique way that human's betterness is enough to justify that dominion? In the end, the question is really about a desire to create a box and put ourselves in it and all other animals outside. In fact "human" is just an imaginary box that limits our ability to see further. What makes us "human" is just pride.