xisto Community
michaleq

Freedows Operating System ...a new Win/Lin clone...

It is made by brasilians, and it's obvious if you go onto the site of the project - it's not in english, at all...

But about the system.

It's based on a Linux kernel, and has teh capability to run Windows appliacations. So one could say 'stable and with many software that most use'. For example the highest version can run Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer, Access, Visio, Photoshop, Flash, Diablo II, Half-Life, Lotus Notes, Winamp, WinZip, and many more!

I wrote highest, because Freedows is not so free, as it looks... There is a free version, but it can't run Windows applications - it's called the Lite Version. There is another version - a higher one called Standard - you get a FreeOffice with it (some sort of an MS Office alternative). Up one level we have the Proffessional and that version comes with all the goodies inside :(

So if anyone is interested, check the website http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I think that this are programs that run on anu linux with emulators (cross over office, wine etc) so...It is soon to expect something that can run bouth linux and windows programs. :(

If only I kept paying attention in spanish class.I really need to download this. It looks so cool.I HATE paying for stuff such as Ms Office, Photoshop, Paintshop, Frontpage, ect...I NEED THIS OS!!!!

I'm sure it's just a normal Linux ditribution with some Wine installed. By the way, has anyone tried Lindows, because I know it does the same stuff, windows programs on linux?US guv should give a law to force Windows give the files they need to create a full working Wine!

Lindows (Linspire) is kind of pull out from the stage in the last time. It has showed us that is not as stable as others. Don't know about other's expiriance, but I have heard many of people don't like it.

I see Linspire as a first stage to get out of the Windows world, then you keep traversing to the real Linux world. I think Linspire as just a bridge from Windows to Linux. A one way road, of course :Dxboxrulz

Lindows (linspire) isn't free... Am I right? It costs from 49 to 100$!I would never buy this thing, because I can get a much more stable and user friendly system by using Mandrake. (And save some bucks while I'm at it)

50 USD, are they crazy who will take it for such price? Take Suse or Mandrake instead