xisto Community
BooZker

Should I Purchase These Applications/programs BBedit and Fetch

I have Dreamweaver 8 which is a great program and i love the auto complete and the built in FTP, but i am trying out BBedit and Fetch and i love how quick it is to start up Fetch and BBedit and i also like how small the applications are. Dreamweaver has tons of stuff all around the screen i never use and BBedit has more of the stuff i would use and they are much more minimalistic.Fetch = 25USDBBedit = 125USDis it worth it since i bought Dreamweaver 8/Fireworks 8/Flash 8 in a package awhile ago?

Edited by BooZker (see edit history)

I also have Dreamweaver 8 and I find it useful. You can always keep Dreamweaver 8 for when you need it and buy one of those programs for what Dreamweaver doesn't have. It's really up to you and whether you feel it will make you that much of a difference. Start up time doesn't really mean all that much to me, personally. Only when I have to start it up to make small edits I forgot on my website, for which case I use notepad. Really the decision is up to you though. If you will have a lot of time saved and your money will be well spent with the new tools then go for it.

It is not as much the start up time as it is the RAM usage. On this computer i usually have, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Dreamweaver (now BBedit and Fetch), textedit (like notpad for a Mac), Fireworks, and also AIM sometimes. Good thing i have multiple virtual desktops :P But what i was saying is with Dreamweaver and Fireworks open it starts to slow it down when i use one or the other, but when i use BBEdit and Fetch instead it doesnt. I was wondering if anyone has BBedit or Fetch. The only reason i know what these are is because in my college courses they have these AND dreamweaver, flash, and fireworks, and i decided to just see what these programs even are and i love BBedit.

Fetch has a discount for educational use. If you are a student, it may be free. Check out their web-site for the procedure. You will need to make an application to them and they send you back the registration number.I know, because a friend needed a copy and she got it free, but she is an instructor, so I can't remember what the deal was for students.

I do not think it is worth it. I do all my html and php programming from within the Eclipse IDE. They have a php plugin and an html plugin so that it colors your code, automatically closes your tags and it starts to fill in elements of those tags for you. Plus it even tells you warnings if you do not work with the standards. The best thing about it is that it is completely open source and free but is an amazing IDE. I use the same program for my Java programming that i do for school and if i wasnt a huge Visual Studio fan and got that program for free through my school then i would use it for C++ programming also since they have a plugin for that as well.

It's good to see people that don't ask for a link to go pirate the software. The developers, well most of them, work hard on their projects, so they deserve to have their software paid for.

Wow, student discount of 100%! Now that's a deal. I will have to check that out thanks. Also i wasn't planning on stealing them. Maybe, hopefully, BBedit will have a discount also.fffantics is that for a mac?