xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CrazyRob

Cron Job Question

Ok i need to execute an sql query at a certain time of day and they only way i think this can be achieved is through a cron. The only problem is that i haven't a clue how to do it.

Code:

UPDATE trap17_ipbmembers SET points = points - 1 WHERE mgroup = 3

thats the SQL code but i need that executed at a certain time on a certain database every day. can anyone help me as i have know knowledge of cron what so ever - have a fealing i need to do that database bit in php but im not sure what code to put in as it will interact with cron.
Help...

I am assuming your not using cpanel, if you are you could set them up that way. any ways I thought I toss this little code up for you

https://www.sitepoint.com/introducing-cron/

it's a series of php scripts and some mysql that should get it going for you.

well i am using cpanel. cpanel cant execute sql queries from cron so id need a php script that had all the data in it then set cron to run the php script at a certain time of day

Yup. You need to get the cron job to run the PHP

I use something like this.

0 0 * * * /usr/bin/php -q /home/yacoby/public_html/path/to/php/file.php > /dev/null

(If you set up the cron job under the Unix style interface, you will see that there are boxs for the 0s and *s, and then one big text input for this:
/usr/bin/php -q /home/yacoby/public_html/path/to/php/file.php > /dev/null

/usr/bin/php
This is the path to PHP.

-q
Quite. The > /dev/null might make it so you don't need this.

/home/yacoby/public_html/path/to/php/file.php
The path from your top directory to the PHP file

> /dev/null
I think this makes it so that the output is deposed of. Not sure though.

Inclding something like this:
if ($REQUEST_URI){	print "Access forbidden!<br>";	exit;}

At the top of the script would, I think, make it so the script can't be run from your browser, it has to be run via the cron job.

Hopefully this will have helped. I don't know very much at all on this subject.
Edited by Yacoby (see edit history)