xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
darran

Faulty Ftp Access Has anyone else encountered it?

I don't know whether it is just me or is the server faulty? When I try accessing it, at times it just disconnects me for no apparent reason, what's worst is that they do that when I am in the middle of transfering a huge amount of stuff in terms of disk space like 5 mb, you know the speed access you get with FTP and for broadband, the highest I could go was 12 kb/sec. Is this a glitch with the server?

I know of a post that discusses this before, I made mention to the fact that loading too many files at once usually times out the server because of server overload. Best thing to do is instead of upload hundreds of files load them up in groups of 5 or 10 and this well prevent the ftp software from timing out.I don't know of any glitch, but I do believe the ftp transfer rates are fixed as so everyone has equal amounts and so no one person will be hogging of the bandwidth needed in transferring files.

Thanks Saint_Michael for the explanation. I have never been timed out, but then my files are not that large when I do upload. This does give me a better understanding of bandwidth use and how it is fairly distributed among the members. Always kind of wondered how it worked. I wouldn't want to hog all the badwidth. :P

Boy, 5mb files in total? Not one single file that is sized 5mb?If you have many files that are this huge, ZIP your files and upload them to your account via FTP or cPanel. Since it's a singular file you can use cPanel to upload.Once this ZIP file is uploaded, use your cPanle to unzip. It's lot easier than uploading them one by one.Just for some comparisons, I can upload 32KBps and I have never timed out--even with files at 100mb or higher. So I'm wondering if your ISP sometimes gives you the burst upload and then cuts off... who knows what ISP's are regulating these days... I just received a notice from my ISP that starting next month they are going to monitor and log certain ports for any illegal activaties--like port 1214. :P

I have never had any problems with other FTPs, it just doesn't time out and logs me out for nothing. Yes not a single file is 5mb in size. I have used 2 FTP programs (CuteFTP and FlashFXP), and have encountered the same problem, now I am using the Fireftp extension for Firefox and at times I get a no data connection error resulting in me getting disconnected. When uploading we are not talking about 100 files, probably about less than 50 at most. So I don't know how it can create a file overload on the server

I have only encountered this once. Uploaded PhpBB Fully Modded via FTP. Then I found it was quicker to zip it and upload via cPanel. Then after all this I still can't get the dam thing to work! :P. About what ISPs are doing, well we will never know, unless you are the owner of an ISP of course :P.