xisto Community
techlive

Fixing A Scratched Dvd

1) Use a yellow highlight marker and draw it over the scratched area. Careful, dry tips can scratch the disc.2) Sprayable silicone oil - sold in Europe as cockpit spray. I read it has a good affinity to the hydrophobic plastic material and a similar refractional index, which is the point!
Similarly, silicon spray will work. It should look like a mirror finish, but if you use too much the disc will be unreadable. Try spraying a tiny bit on and rubbing it over the surface with paper towel - youll see it hide the scratches as you rub. If you put too much on, it comes off pretty easily with eye glasses cleaner or other mild glass cleaning agent.
3) Toothpaste, with its abrasive particles can work their way into the scratches. Use a small pointer to rub it into the scratches to bring them closer to the surface and more even with the rest of the disc. Just make sure to clean off the disc when done. You dont want toothpaste flying around your DVD drive.
4) Try cooling the disc. If that doesnt work, try heating it. This trick will often help you get some more sectors read.
5) Some have had success with car wax or car polish. Worth a shot if all else fails.

This post was originally written by me and you can see the post in http://www.techlive.co.nr/
Thanks for taking time to read this post.

Notice from KuBi:
Copied from http://www.techlive.co.nr/ ; even if it's from your own site you must quote is because it's been copied. Warning issued.

actually i've read about the toothpaste technique from some other site before. the technique only works on light scratches, those that you can barely see. deep scratches, however, will make the cd/dvd less readable, thus making it useless. i've tried that but it doesn't work.you didn't mention metal polisher. i've tried that. they said it works but it didn't work in mine.i don't know about the other stuff. and certainly that thing you said that can only be bought in england, doesn't help those that are not in england. :P

I've heard about the toothpaste, but not the others. I haven't actually had to try either of the ones listed so I wouldn't know which works best. I sort of wonder how it all works though because I always thought memory was lost when a scratch was on the DVD but I guess that's just how it is read. Would that mean that you can create a DVD out of toothpaste? :P

a disc (DVD and CD) has a protective plastic coating on the readable side. it's that thats gets scratched... However if it is deep enough it can penetrate that and get to the fragile bits underneath.Scratches (and other things such as dirt) oftenly redirect and/or block the laser so that it cannot get to the data layer of a CD.

I'm pretty curious about this. I keep all my DVDs/CDs in it's case so if you do that you won't ever have to resort to using methods of lifting the scratches. Well I suppose as a last resort these would be ok attempts, but I wouldn't put anything on a valuable DVD such as collector's edition or other.-Tom.

I just recieved a scratched copy of a dvd and wanst sure of the correct method to fix it. SO thanks for posting up this tutorial it doesn't seem like it will be to hard to do. It also doesn't require a lot of money like some other methods i have seen do. I went around and asked a store who repairs dvd's and he said it would be like $15 and for that price i could just buy a new one. But thanks again for this method.

wow nice tutorial. i will have to try this one next time i have a CD or a DVD that is scratched. i didnt know that all of those things could fix scratches on CD's even if they are minor ones. how did you find out about all of that stuff, did you just try it or did you find it somewhere else.

I am not buying heating up the disc or the highlighter!It just does not seem probable! I mean how the heck could heating up a disc save it?Well If any of this does work......Nice Job! ;)

Question with the highlighter method: Do you let the highlighter dry on the disk or do you wipe it off at some point?I have tried the toothpaste method, but it has yet to work for me. I've heard that the polish works most of the time.

well i have some of these techinques and they do not work if you dont want to do go throw these steps you should keep your discs in a case by doing this you will be saving yourself money and the anger of not having your favorite movie to watch cause it has a scratch on it.

How about programs that make images of scratched DVD-s...I'm not sure but there is something like Exact Audio Copy or something. I have one DVD i would really like to save couse i have lvl 92 barbarian on it and that suks couse i cant copy it back to hdd