xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
zak92

Hosting Software

Hi i had recently used XAMPP. I liked it very much and i wanted help on a few things. 1 It loads slow but i think if i improve my hardware it will be faster.2 I had hosted a forum on it like PHPbb but it wouldnt send mail out i needed a solution to that. Basically what i want is SMTP and POP and other things to send mail.3 also instead of having my IP as a url i wanted to have a subdomain from afraid.freedns.org. How do i set it so that my comp is not my ip but a nice little domain.Thanks if helped

Hi there, i use xampp for development of my site and its code but i have also used it to set up a webserver on a lan and with some tweaks it can become a full web server. However there can be problems with your ISP and how it deals with you using a lot of bandwidth. You might have to contact them and ask them what their policy on you starting your own webserver is because it will mean a hell of a lot of traffic to your computer and the ISP might want to charge you more for that. If they say its all good then another thing is how fast is your connection? if youre own dial up, 56kbs, it really wont work because the time for your website to load would be a very long time for the users and they would probably give up. If you've got like 1 or 2mbs then it shouldnt be too bad because webpages are small so wont take too long to load but for downloads it might not be fantastic for the user. And one more thing is are you behind a router? If so you'll need to do some configuring on that to allow the computer to send webpages to users etc... If you are then someone else can hopefuly help you with that because ive never done that before. Otherwise il search the internet and find a tutorial and we can both learn how to do it! So assuming we got al the down what do you mean by "it loads slow" do you mean the program takes a long time to begin running or your pages take a long time to come up? If it takes a long time for the program to load then it shouldnt be a problem. Now to set up the webserver side its a doddle! Basically make sure you have al your settings as you want, and start the xampp service with php and sql is you need it. Ive never been successful with mecury which is the mail system for xampp so i cant help there so this is where i jump off and let someone else give a hand! Be sure to check the thing i said in the first paragraph because your isp could just cut you off which isnt good!

dear zak92 XAMPP is free sowftware with (apache , mysql , php ) but kind of software is for Beginner and its not has full softwares like apache and php and mysql , some times this software Doesn't run some script because this softwares Doesn't have full func of phpuse apache , mysql , php in clean install , download 3 part of it and then install itfor pop and smtp you need to install more software for provide pop protocol

Edited by farsiscript (see edit history)

Contrary to what shadowx said, XAMPP is not a partial install of apache, and sql. It does have the full versions of these programs but in order to get all of the functionality out of it you need to change the options and setup php to allow it. As for sendmail, you need to install a smtp or pop mail server on your server.

Mercury Mail Server comes in the XAMPP installer set-up.Try setting that up as described in the documenttion or from the mercury Mail Help file.

zak92 you would be better setting up your own server qith seperate services installed.

also instead of having my IP as a url i wanted to have a subdomain from afraid.freedns.org.

This can be done by DNS. Download a DNS server like BIND and configure it so that your IP points to that webaddress.

I think if you want it more performant you can install Linux on your computer i.s.o. Windows.And then use lamp (it's the same as xampp but for linux).Linux will mostelikely faster since it doesn't need a graphical interface to run the server, and it has more memory available. For routing a dynamic domain to your computer , you must setup an account on the site dyndns.org.The you can change the ip adress by the dns name.Watch out you have to install an updater when you have an dynamic ip adress.The updater can also be found on the website of dyndns.org .

Tested : Diall UP: XAMPP is running ,conected to internet via modem click on tray icon for internet conn. then tab support ,write client IP address Go to afraid.freedns.org open account choose subdomain like this : me.domain.com .Edit subdomain IP address to yours . ADSL :Change mode of ADSL modem to bridge to get private IP adresse .Create ADSL Wan miniport connection (with user name and password from ISP -not for novice) Go to afraid.freedns.org open account choose subdomain like this : me.domain.com .Edit subdomain IP address to yours .

OK XAMPP is free software and it is fully functional with php at least I haven't had any problems with it and it helped me to build my site as I have set it. Also I would like to point out that if you are using XAMPP it is not really the best choice for the hosting software as it sets itself up automatically and runs sometimes quite slow. And speed is esential thing in the hosting buisness.You might want to try to learn and do setting up of apache mysql and php alone and it will prove helpful and work a lot faster and you will have a lot more control over everything in this way.Or you might also try using some of the free linux distributions for the servers this will help you as you will do all the setting up by yourself, and it will provide you with bigger stability and speed and also ability to control almost everything.