xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BooZker

Forum Problems In Ie And Safari In Safari its totally screwed up and works in all other browsers

I am so close to being done with my site, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and all i need to finish is the forum. After that it's just adding content. In every browser (Netscape, Firefox 2, and Opera) it works 100% fine.

In Safari, now that's a different story. If you dont have Safari i'll explain... It's completely screwed up. Everything. Nothing works except the links and the header picture is on there but in the wrong place.

In IE 7 its a much smaller problem. There is simply a black bar on the right of the header image. I don't know why because it can't be like my last problem that there was not enough space because i set the width to 100% just so it wouldnt be to small or big. So much for that :P

The link to my forum is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Any help is appreciated. If you would like to take a look at any files PM me or post here what files.

Edited by BooZker (see edit history)

Hey i think your problem with the black bar in the header of the forum is because you have <td width="725">. Get rid of the width element since you have width="100%" outside of it and width="100%" in the image. If this is not it, set the border to that table to 1 and troubleshoot it that way until you find what cell is the wrong size and fix accordingly.

Or you can set a background image based off your banner which is pretty simple.

Step 1: Open up your finished image not the layered one. Next select the marquee tools and select the 1px vertical line marquee tool. Then put that 1px with marguee tool on the right side then copy it.

Step 2: open up a new document, the sizes should already be predetermined from the copy you made. Then just save it something like headerbg.

Now for hte fun part the CSS

td.title2 {		background-color: #000000;		background: url("headerbg.jpg"); background-repeat: repeat-x;		width: 725px;		color: #333333;		height: 100px;		}

With this it should repeat the background image in your header. Of course this is the technical version, but to make a small correction on fffanatics change the 725 to a percentage of course that would be 100%.

Their might be some other solutions but start off with that load first before we go into them.

Actually i did it a real easy way. i took what fffanatics said and tweaked his hunch a little bit. Here is the HTML i used.

<td width="75%" height="100px"><a href="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ class="nobdr" src="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/; width="100%" height="100px"></a></td>

Plus it works on all browsers. (not yet tested on Netscape. Scared to haha.) the img class if for FF so there is no border around it since FF likes to make borders around a imgs.

BUT one huge problem...

Safari still doesnt work at all. Everything is aligned right, no white background, and the banner is HUGE!

Any ideas here?

I have no clue, I don't use Safari, your best bet would to post your problem at a safari website. Unless their are some safari users on here, of course I haven't seen one at all.of course the next solution would be to set up a individual CSS script for Safari and then add a javascript that selects the CSS style depending on the users browser.

Yah i should make a browser redirect javascript to an HTML page that says "Browsers We Support" I know that not many people use Safari because it comes with new Macs and plus its the IE of a Mac so people use other browsers.Plus i support every single popular browser available right now and I don't feel like trying to fix my forum for the least used browser from the statistics i have seen. And my actual website supports Safari just the forum and I dont want to spend much more time on it.I also checked Netscape, and it works also. Made my header image a bit nicer also. thanks. I just ask to keep the topic open until i add the redirect and make sure it's working.EDIT: I have looked all over the net including google, and javascript.internet.com for a browser redirection for Safari and I can't find one. What would Safari be named in the script. Such as internet explorer 6 is IE6, but what's Safari?

Edited by BooZker (see edit history)