xisto Community
KazuWanna

My Rant... Proper English/Grammer

i just cant stand it when people dont use proper grammer.well i mean Speaking.and is this even proper english? "excuse you"because alot of people have been saying this to me and i dont even know if it makes sense.and dont get me started on how people end there sentences with prepositions.for some reason it just annoys the heck out of me. alot.and when people spell things when typing like. "u" and "y?"it doesnt take much time to type out words. it just shows how lazy americans are.and that..ends my rant. xD

i just cant stand it when people dont use proper grammer.

well i mean Speaking.

and is this even proper english?

"excuse you"

because alot of people have been saying this to me and i dont even know if it makes sense.

and dont get me started on how people end there sentences with prepositions.

for some reason it just annoys the heck out of me. alot.

and when people spell things when typing like. "u" and "y?"

it doesnt take much time to type out words. it just shows how lazy americans are.

and that..ends my rant. xD

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about spelling LOL?

Just jokin', tho'.

All of us make mistakes and it is ok, as long as at least you convey your message.

u r and y are commonly used while sending out SMS as it saves precious time and repeated pressing of buttons. That has been imported to chatting and now to forum posts!

Next, we may see it everywhere... How about newspapers, textbooks, National Constitutions??? :(

Edited by googlue (see edit history)

lmao i dont understand why "ppl" complain about grammer and spelling... and put periods at the end of theirs sentences yet dont capitalize I's or beginning letters of a sentence... most of my 'thoughts' are run on and do not have the time to be slown down by matters of puncuation and grammer etc. as well whats with ALL THESE PEOPLE on these forums always have a blank space or like one word filled out on a line then start a new one. i really dont understand the point of it, unless it is to make them look like their post is bigger or maybe will qualify an other non qualifying postlmao,lol,r,u,y,rofl,c have greatly improved but reading and 'typing' times where the rules of language are not scrictly inforced... so why disapprove?

Interesting how you can't stand it when people don't use proper grammar, and yet, putting in apostrophes, capitalizing the beginning of a sentence, etc. is all part of grammar. Also interesting how you say it shows how lazy Americans are, and yet many people, not just Americans, do the same. Also, not all Americans are lazy. Note that I'm American, and I'm using proper grammar (INCLUDING punctuation), spelling, etc.Great rant really, when there are so many obvious points against it. :(

well i mean Speaking.

"excuse you"

because alot of people have been saying this to me and i dont even know if it makes sense.

it doesnt take much time to type out words. it just shows how lazy americans are.

30695[/snapback]

Essentially what i hear you saying is "Why can't people communicate exactly the way i was taught through my environment (school, family..etc.)." Good communicaton occurs when the receiver clearly understands the sender. Technology has given people the ability to communicate faster through shortened and/or symbolic text. If you don't understand why people want to communicate faster then you don't understand the U.S. free enterprise system (freedom to operate competitively, meaning with efficiency). The market for IM'ing is growing and if you can't interpret the text then your going to be left in the dark, confused and writing rants like the one im responding to. I suggest not being lazy and take the time and effort to undersand the diversity communication has to offer. It's much better than being annoyed.

People do that "lol" and "u" "u r" stuff because (1 they think it's cool (2 they're too lazy 3) it becomes a habbiti use to chat like that until later, I realized how annoying it was for other people XD and then i realized how it was annoying it was for me too so I just stoped. It's only three letters anyways for "you". Just need to learn to type fater XDbtw- some people use lol, lmao, or rotfl because it's a better way to express laughter then "HAHAHAHA!" ...yeah...

I only use these types of words when I'm chatting. It makes it quick and easy. There are only two excuses for bad grammar. One is you probably haven't learned english or you're from a foreign country. The other one is you're just too lazy to type them out.(which is sad)

In my opinion spelling and grammer should be a top priority in certain cases but in others it can pretty much be ignored. When you are posting on a professional forum that is about serving the community (like this forum) you should try your best to use proper language. When you are at a forum that is just a place to hang out and gives no information you should not pay as much attention to proper language but don't make people decode your message. In e-mails you should use proper spelling and grammer because when you send it there is no turning back. When it comes to instant messaging type how you want as long as you get your message across its not like it is saved or anything.

I can't stand people who type using text speak such as 'u r gr8' so much so, on msn if someone does it, I ask them not to, and if they carry on, I normally block them. Thankfully the forum I use online gives warnings to people who use it, which means its not normally used.As for speakign correctly, I come from a small town in the northwest, my grammer, like much of the area wouldn't be classed as good, though I dont' have a problem with this, its just how people pronounce words, an accent. :P :P

Ugh. I can't stand the 'shorthand' that seems to have become popular in recent times. And what makes it worse is that it takes about two milliseconds more to type the full word. Typing 'How are you?' is just as easy as 'how r u LOL'. It also irritates me when people don't even try and use correct grammar when posting or through any other form of text-based communication. Everybody makes mistakes, and that's fine and to be expected - but when people don't even try is when it gets to me.

It's funny to think that people on the internet try to act like they're on the streets. I don't really mind when people uses it when they're chatting to me, but when they use it on a forum, it just tells me how lazy and unprofessional they are. Using shortcuts are a nice way to save some time, but 2 seconds won't do you any good at all. Better be safe then sorry. :P

well i mean Speaking.

"excuse you"

30695[/snapback]

I just chanced by this topic without any specific reason to it. Well, for one thing KazuWanna, your opening message does contain a few misspellings, but that's beside the point.

I would give advice, should you know languages other than English, to go on foreign forums and see how they write and spell their native languages. As compared to the somewhat annoying mistakes you can read in English, there's a whole ocean of idiocy in French-written forums, for example.

Far as I can tell, good communications have a price tag which is education, is all. Now, you may want to turn your accusing eyes toward teachers, who in turn will fall back onto government or administration, and these will blame the whole stuff on Al Qaeda's shoulders, etc. The point is comunicating is an individual responsibility. Garbage in, garbage out, as they say stateside :) .

Cheers!

wow r u serious u get pissed when people dont use proper grammer wow that's just sad..lolall i have to say is who cares as long as i know what the person is talking about i'm alright with that :) And it's not like i sit on forums spell checking what i say and post what a waste of my life right there. ;)

I hate such people who don't use proper English myself; I'm a real stickler for it, and I annoy people with my extensively large volcabulary and ability to produce complicated synonyms for simple words.I suppose that people think that being on the Internet gives them a sort of excuse to be able to speak what many of the public call "NetSpeak". This language is an off-set of English, replacing properly spelled words with abbreviating letters and/or numbers. Even symbols are used. I mean, come on! How hard is it to write "you"? You'll only be typing TWO more letters in addition to the "u"! My God!I am a student (high school), and I'm top of the state in English. I live in Australia, let us just clarify that first. I NEVER use NetSpeak on the Internet, I use words and phrases and other aspects of language fully, so that people can understand what I'm saying. For example, when people say "C u 2moz". That is feasibly understandable, but some people have no idea what "2moz" means. How hard is it to write "See you tomorrow", it's not like NetSpeakers don't have the brain capacity to write that out fully. Perhaps they REALLY don't ...Best,Xuan.