xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
theem

Holographic Storage A step Forward....

Holographic Storage

has anyone heard of this...

i've been following this companies progress with this technology for the past year and a half or so, and they've finally done it. On the site they show off their 1st type of device. theres supposed to be a 2nd type which i think like DOUBLES or TRIPLES storage capacity of this current one....

just check out the articles and what not...its pretty dam sweet!

http://www.inphase-technologies.com/

heres a cool article....

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Yes people have been working on this for a long time. I read an article a few years back that descriped this storage method. It will be nice once it is able to be mass produced and works correctly since you get over 1 TB per square inch which a lot of storage space.

This form of data storage looks very promising. One thing I didn't see covered was the expected lifespan of this type of data storage. It appears it saves the data on a photo-sensitive disc of sorts, most forms of photosensitive material that I am aware of have a limited life span, Polaroid photographs are a good example of this. With so much data crammed in such a little space, how much degradation of the photographic surface can occur before the data is unreadable? Something that would be worth looking into before spending a wad of cash on one of these drives.Or have I got it all wrong and the disc is just a super CD? Now I'm confused. :lol:

Ehh, this totally confused me at first; I read something about "reading from the object's volume and not just its surface area" and thought this was the 3D scanner I heard about a few months back with a disc somewhere to store the data. ;) So this is basically a giant 3D external drive? My pockets probably aren't deep enough, but I'm sort of curious as to how much it might cost at launch.... and when its coming out. ;)

I have learned in my physics class , that holographic storage can be used to take 3 dimensional pictures. So, i think this will work on a principle similar to that.Interesting,. I am eagerly waiting for blue ray discs to take over. But , if things like holographic storage come out, i guess our CD Roms might be somewhat like the floppies we use these days, and the floppy disks.. they would be made available at antique shops , probably..

This is so cool!The world is going too fast, I don't even have time to realize that I'm in the future I dream in my mind.What's next?A 6G mobile phone with Holographic technology?

Yes people have been working on this for a long time. I read an article a few years back that descriped this storage method. It will be nice once it is able to be mass produced and works correctly since you get over 1 TB per square inch which a lot of storage space.

anything that helps me get super duper storage space rocks

Notice from serverph:
removed unrelated link. please stay on topic. review Xisto forum rules & TOS.

Whenever I read about Hard Drives, which is suprisingly often actually, I always think about how strange it is when you think back only a few years. Back in the Days where 500MB was only for the rich, now I've filled 500GB without batting an eyelid. Where people said we would never hit the 1GB limit, now I can download 2GB without being in the room! I got for a cofee and when I get back I've filled my 500MB hard drive, and then some!I guess right now I don't need a Terabyte per inch, I also presume that I can't afford it either. Though, I am sure that I will want one someday, rather, need one someday. Although right now I am living off only about 200GB per system with a Terabyte file serve in the middle and that's a LOT of storage space, at least for now...I think that hard drive space is not something that we should follow, just something that we should accept. It comes and goes, it grows as we do. It's not that important. I've read pages and pages on different hard drives and benchmarks and stuff. Though, last time I checked the top compared to the bottom performer wasn't that much different, prices aren't either. It's pretty much industry standard.When I was working in a PC store a while back as a Technician, we didn't look at brand or size too much, we got Seagate, Toshiba anything good and 40 and 80 gigabytes were pretty much all we sold. IDE of course. The occasional 120 SATA drive for certain customers, but Hard Drives aren't the first thing that people think of upgrading (unless they run out of space then they merely get a bigger one). When I next upgrade (which should be June this year) I am going for a new processor socket (one of my systems is still nicely running on a 462 socket A) and I'll no doubt get a PCI-Express graphics card and some crucial RAM, a couple of gig, 1.5 atleast. Though when it comes to hard drives, I want a couple of SATA 120GBs, but brand doesn't matter. I chose them as I need that much space, that's it. There is no thought going in to buying hard drives, they are just industry standards pretty much.Anyway, I'm waffling I think, I mean basically that people don't think too much about hard drives, at least not compared to what they would when choosing processors or graphics cards or ram or whatever....

Wow, that's awesome. I didn't hear about anything like that until now. Last thing I heard about mass storage like that was when that research about liquid storage, or something like that, came up. Storing data in water or something. No idea what ever happened to that.Holographic storage looks promising, but pricing can make all the difference. It may be a standard in the future, but right now, if the price is just too high, it won't sell. Only for those running large server clusters, which is really the only one that needs it now.

That stuff looks really niceIn regard to the length of the storage life, the technical details on the site claim a 50-year archive life.That would be more than enough to be able to simply migrate the data onto another storage device, which by then would be much larger.The new technologies look good :P

haha this has been posting in the forum quite a few times already, its nice to see it pop up again every now and then though. its a really neat advancement in technology, i mean with the upcoming blu-ray and hd-dvds and all. i wonder how long it will take for this storage device to become the mainstream form of portable data. it seems very promising, and i bet in a few years time the 1TB of space (which they say they'll be able to reach or even exceed which these) won't seem so ridiculous. if blu-rays or hd-dvds are going to store 20GB+ of content then we'll need these holographic storage kits to store a number of blu-ray hd-dvds! 8D technology is just blazing by isn't it. the say we have photo realistic gaming environments with life like physics and sound is just beyond tomorrow. i really can't wait~

I used to be on top of these kinds of advancements in technology when I read the old /. everyday. Now I'm unable to keep up with it! :P At this rate storing a human body in a digitized form for use in sort of transport could be possible maybe in the next 50 years if the theory of uncertainty wasn't weighing it down.

Wow... that's really impressive. I was wondering how they were going to pack things in smaller and give bigger sizes, since every year it seems that the standards just grow and grow and grow some more.I also wonder too how much something like this would cost once it's launched. And how long it will take for it to be something that the public enjoys and gets to use as a regular device... like how we buy our standard 250 GB drives now or whatever... will these be the new standards that come with all machines?I really love to see how new technologies are progressing. They say that they are just speeding up with new things faster and faster than they were ever being produced in the past and that they just continue to grow on such a curve that we have new developments now that take a couple years, that are equivalent to what took decades of production before.But I still can't wait to see just what becomes of this. It all sounds so space age lol... holograms :P I didn't even imagine something like that could be used as a storage device. So cool!