xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Yratorm, LightMage

An Exercise Program For Fitness In 15 Minutes A Day (tutorial & Pictures) For people who dont have much time to exercise..

This is a simple exercise program for people who don't have too much time to spare. It is not designed to create 'ultimate fitness' or anything like that, but it IS designed to keep your body in reasonable condition on a minimum time schedule. Ideal for people who work long hours, sit long hours at a desk/ in front of a computer, etc.

Below are a warm-up (to begin with) and seven exercises to be done daily. This entire program should not take more than 15 minutes a day. These are all simple exercises that everyone has some knowledge of, and should be easy to do.

Warming up

Any exercise program should start and end with a short warm-up. Rotate your arms in circles clockwise and anti clockwise about ten times each way, run on the spot for 30 seconds or so, pumping (swinging) your arms vigorously - increase the temperature of your body in this way, and up your heart rate.

The Exercises:

Exercise 1) Pushups:

Also knows as press-ups.

Step 1: Lie chest-down on the floor with your hands slightly more than shoulder-width apart. The hands should be placed on each side of the chest, with the hands facing outwards. The feet can be either together, or about shoulder width apart - your toes and the ball of your foot touch the ground.

Look forward, not down at the floor - if any part of your face touches the floor, it should be the chin, rather than the nose. Now breathe in deeply.

Look at the image below:

Posted Image

Step 2: Now, push up off the floor by straightening your arms. Exhale as you do this. Keep the hands and feet fixed in position on the floor, and keep your back straight as you push up. Stop for a moment in this position. Look at the image below:

Posted Image

Step 3: Now lower your body down to the floor again by bending your arms. Breathe IN deeply as you do this. Keep your back straight as you do this.

Lower your body until your chest touches the floor. Keep your knees off the floor - your legs should make contact with the floor through the toes and the ball of the foot.

You have now returned to your position in Step 1 and have completed one pushup.

Number of times to do this exercise:

For already fit people who just want to maintain their fitness: 25 repetitions continuously.

For people trying to get in condition: 10 repetitions continuously.

For people who are out of training: 1 to 3 repetitions.

-----------

Exercise 2) Sidebending: This exercise improves flexibility and works the muscles of the torso. Stand with the feet slightly apart and hold the hands above the head. Now bend the body sideways, from the waist, first to the left, then straighten up again, then bend to the right. Bend as far as you can without straining yourself too much. Look at the pictures below:

Posted Image

Count one bend each way as one repetition. Number of times to do this exercise:

For already fit people who just want to maintain their fitness: 20 repetitions continuously.

For people who are out of training: 5 repetitions.

-----------

Exercise 3) Knee-bends or Half-squats: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your feet flat on the floor. Then half-crouch down as if your were about to sit in a chair. Do not go all the way down, but just to the height shown in the pictures below..

Posted Image

After crouching, return to the standing position.

Inhale as you go down, and exhale as you rise.

For already fit people who just want to maintain their fitness: 30 repetitions continuously.

For people trying to get in condition: 20 repetitions continuously.

For people who are out of training: 15 repetitions.

-----------

Exercise 4) Dorsal Exercise: This exercise strengthens the back, abs and thighs. Lie face down with the hands clasped behind the back. Now raise the trunk and legs off the ground simultaneously. Hold this position for a second or two, then lower your trunk and legs to the floor.

Posted Image

For already fit people who just want to maintain their fitness: 20 repetitions.

For people trying to get in condition: 10 repetitions.

-----------

Exercise 5) Burpees:

Step 1: From standing, go down to the crouch position with your hands on the floor:

Posted Image

Step 2: Then (with the weight on your hands and arms) shoot your legs backwards to the position below.

Posted Image

Step 3: Now, again placing the weight on your hands and arms, return your legs to the crouch position, and then stand up. This is a 'burpee' - Count this as one repetition.

Posted Image

For already fit people who just want to maintain their fitness: 20 repetitions continuously.

-----------

Exercise 6) Sit-ups: Lie on your back, then rise without use of your arms, almost to a sitting position. Return to lying on the back. You might find this exercise easier to do if you get a friend or family member to hold your legs down as you do it. See the images below:

Posted Image

For people who are out of training: Between 2 to 6 repetitions.

-----------

Exercise 7) Spot Running: Run in one spot, raising your legs about six inches off the floor, and pumping (swinging) the arms. Count a left step and a right step as one repetition.

Posted Image

For already fit people who just want to maintain their fitness: 60 repetitions.

For people trying to get in condition: 50 repetitions.

For people who are out of training: 40 repetitions.

That's it. This is not intended to be the 'ultimate fitness program' or anything of the sort. It is just a simple, useful set of exercises for people who don't have much time to exercise.

Fit people can use it to maintain their level of fitness; not so fit people and people out of training can use it to better their fitness levels. For example, if you're doing the number of repetitions for each exercise that place you in the 'out of training' category, try to increase the repetitions over time so that you move into the 'getting in condition' category, and finally, of course, into the 'fit' category.

Some useful advice: Vary the exercises you do - on some days, do the above routine, on other days, go for a run in the park - run 10 minutes, sprint two minutes, walk five minutes, repeat. Do this running/sprinting/walking routine at least twice, aim for four times. On other days go to the gym and do the heaviest weight exercises - the bench press, the shoulder press and the squats, with the heaviest weights that you can safely manage. At least three sets of ten for each exercise. Increase the weight over time.

On weekends, you could spend half a day or so hiking in nearby mountains (if any) or kayaking or playing some reasonably strenuous sport. Fitness can be fun. Treat your body well and the benefits will be considerable, in terms of health, mental alertness and the ability to smile in the face of fortune and misfortune, to take amicably the ups and downs of life.

I hope this will be of some help to someone out there. Take care, all.

My thanks to ellentemplar for some additions to this post. Also, below, some nice additional suggestions by Saint Micheal:

Crunches could be a good alternate to situps just double the normal repetition.

You can also do army presses. Instead of showing my sexy self doing them, all your really doing is standing up and then pushing your arms straight up in the air and then bring them down. In order to feel any burn you would normally want to do at least 100 a set.

Another good exercise is the bicycle kick, in which you lay on your back and then with your feet in the air move them like a bicycle.

Also another good for a good challenge, put you feet on a chair and then do push ups or sit ups, with this higher elevation it makes it a bit more changing since you have to go higher and lower then you normally do.

That is some army fitness stuff I remembered. :lol:

Saint Micheal's descriptions are pretty clear, if anyone needs additional help/images, etc. just ask.
Edited by Yratorm, LightMage (see edit history)

Very nice, Yratorm. I'm a corporate executive, and while I visit the gym twice a week or so, I am not much in 'condition' - this is a nice, simple, equipment free workout. I'm going to try it - I will let you know how things turn out. And thanks :lol: You have put in a lot of work here. I assume that's you in the pics?

Edited by Hagar9999 (see edit history)

Aww, thanks :lol: Just trying to help - the exercises are ones everyone knows, really - I just thought I'd pick some of the best and put them together into a reasonably good workout. Yes, that's me in the pics, just had a friend take a few quick pictures on the spur of the moment. Glad you like it, and I sincerely hope it helps you ^_^ Take care.Oh, thanks for the appreciation, it was nice of you :D - it makes putting this together worth doing.I might be putting up another thread on building bulk in muscles (weight training), and also weight exercises to fine-tune the muscles - if you have any interest in this, it should be up in a week or so (depends on when I can spare the time to write the thread).

well, this would help a lot, especially for me since i'm starting to lose some weight. but my only question is, how come the quantity of each exercise routine decreases for the "types" of people who would use the routine? (e.g., fit people having the greatest amount, and the out-of-training people have the least amount)

It works this way - if you're not so fit, you do the lower number of repetitions for a week or so to get your body in condition, then try to increase the reps to move into the higher category. When you're in the higher category, you keep that up for a week or two, trying to increase the reps until you can move into the next, the highest category.

It's designed to enable you to increase your level without strain. All you have to do is be regular, and your fitness level will improve no matter how out of condition you are at the moment, and as it improves, you can up the reps and move into the higher fitness category.

The exercise program encourages you to do what you are capable of at the moment, but to do it regularly and over time increase the reps to move to a higher level of fitness. This way you improve your fitness levels without strain, and as the time required for the exercises isn't too much either, you can usually afford to make the time for it sometime in the day.

oh, yeah. i get it now. thanks! i'd probably try one of those one of these days. are you by any chance a fitness instructor or something?is there a way to increase metabolism aside from exercise? i've always envied people with high metabolism, those that even taking massive amounts of food, they still don't get fat. and they're not even exerting that much effort in exercise.

Edited by mbacarra (see edit history)

Thanks for that, really helpful. I've been trying to motivate myself to start going to the gym, but because I'm in school, and have work afterwards most days, it's impossible, as I really wanna see my friends too. I've been looking for something like this forever.After all that Christmas food this sure will come in handy :lol:

well, i was able to trim my food intake despite the occasion. it's kinda easy, considering that i was having trouble doing such even way before. the problem is i don't have a weighing scale here at home so i don't know how much progress i've done over the past 2 weeks. so the only way for me to know if there were some progress is through my clothes, and of course by pushing further with some exercise. too bad schoolwork has been piling up so there's not really much time for me to leave this pc.

Yes, mbacarra, I'm a fitness instructor, I also teach several martial arts. I'm glad if this training schedule is of help - I'll be posting other more difficult routines that you can 'step up' to when this one becomes too easy for you - I was also thinking of putting up tutorials on body-building and basic self defense among other things.I agree that the targets would be pretty easy for some, PunkGuitar - however, this program is for those with a limited time schedule who still want to be in shape. Feel free to up the targets :lol: If it's too easy for you, I'm glad - it means you're a fit man ^_^The program on this page is not the 'ultimate fitness program' but a set of reasonably good equipment-free exercises to help people who want to stay in reasonable shape but don't have much time - it's a program that I hope will help the most people possible.I'll be posting other routines for people who want to lose weight, go in for 'super-fitness', build muscle mass, etc.Thanks for the feed-back, all, I'm happy to be of help.----------------Mbacarra, I'll include some more info on body metabolism in a day or two. However, I've been having some problems with my net connection (that's the reason I haven't posted much for a day or two). I'll put some info up tomorrow or the day after.

I like this fitness routine, but something on how to lose weight fast would be very nice too.

I'll try to create a tutorial on that, Hagar. Until I can put something specific up, if you follow this routine and watch your calories you should lose weight. I'll try to put up a program specifically targeted at weight loss, but it might take more than 15 minutes a day to follow.It'll take a few days before I can put it up, I usually have to take some pics, and write out the text - I'll do it in between classes over the next few days (I teach the martial arts) and put it up as soon as I can. Take care now.- - - Yratorm

This is a great thread to maintain fitness on a very short schedule. Running and light weights would be a good addition to this routine - for example, do this schedule one day, run on another, do light weights on a third (well, at least I do light weights) - I think this 'mixing' of exercise types is a very good way to achieve all round fitness - you have basic cardio/aerobic exercise covered, AND you improve muscle tone. I think a combination of various different types of exercises is optimal for overall fitness.

Running and light weights would be a good addition to this routine - for example, do this schedule one day, run on another, do light weights on a third (well, at least I do light weights) - I think this 'mixing' of exercise types is a very good way to achieve all round fitness - you have basic cardio/aerobic exercise covered, AND you improve muscle tone.
I think a combination of various different types of exercises is optimal for overall fitness.

Right, very well put - I agree. I'll edit the main post and add something to this effect. Thanks.