xisto Community
Indego

Small Office Server Requirements Looking for Suggestions on What kind of Server I will need to run a sm

I would be very grateful if someone could advise me on what i should be looking for and how much an average server will cost.

We currently run 3 pc's in our office with files spread over all 3 pc's, as well as external web and email server.

What i would really like to acheive is a small server that will basically hold our files and allow me to access the files remotely from home or our new office in another town.

We run windows XP Pro and the usual Microsoft office packages.

It would also be very good if it could be used to act as a print server and fax server for incoming and outgoing communications as well.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Kindest regards

Jason

Indego Media & Marketing

What is the computer Brand ie. Dell, Gateway 2k, Compaq, Sony, Toshiba that you are using?I would start with those brands and see what they have for servers, Other then giving you a start on where to look can't really tell you which is a good one.Expect to pay form anywhere from $500-$3000+.

Hello Michael,There are a few HP units as well as 2 generic pc'sThey are all p3's working on a wireless network woth adsl broadband.Hope that helps

Your bet would be to get your server from HP then since you got more HP computers then anything else.

This might need to be verified since I don't know much about servers except where to buy them. You would need to purchase a server, storage device, network hub and anything else that would go with those 3 items you would need.

Here are the Following links you should look at in order to figure out what you want.

Main HP Server Link
/us/en/UnsupportedBrowserErrorView?catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=10151

Server Buying Guide
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/404.html

Server Options Buying Guide
http://www.hp.com/sbso/buyguides/pg_server_options.html

Storage Buying Guide

Networking

Also the Phone Number (Highly Recommend calling)

800-888-0262

I would call them for any questions you might have especially set up and all that good stuff.

Your bet would be to get your server from HP then since you got more HP computers then anything else.

This might need to be verified since I don't know much about servers except where to buy them. You would need to purchase a server, storage device, network hub and anything else that would go with those 3 items you would need.

Here are the Following links you should look at in order to figure out what you want.

Main HP Server Link

Server Buying Guide

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/404.html

Server Options Buying Guide

http://www.hp.com/sbso/buyguides/pg_server_options.html

Storage Buying Guide

Networking

Also the Phone Number (Highly Recommend calling)

800-888-0262

I would call them for any questions you might have especially set up and all that good stuff.

Thanks again Michael,

I'll take a look at the links and see if they can help me out here in Australia.

I'm sure HP will be able to;

Thanks Again,

Jase

All depends on your budget and needs.A wireless network in a Office environnement is not realy a good idea I think.The best is still a wired connection on the PC's since they have the most reliable connection.For the rest I think you need a good firewall on your internet connection to secure your network.It's also good for security that you split your network in 2 parts :with the public servers (mail and web) on the orange interface,and your local Computers on the green interface.For the remote access you can setup some VPN access.You can build this router yourself with open source software (IPCOP , ... ) if you like.For the rest , you can setup some servers with Windows and/or linux.