xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tesoftware

Realbasic

I think there needs to be a subforum for REALbasic. For those of you that have never heard of REALbasic, it is a cross-platform (Mac, Winows & Linux) RAD OOP IDE (Rapid Application Development, Object Oriented Programming, Integrated Development Environtment). REALbasic's code structure (syntax) is very similar to Visual Basic bit unlike Visual Basic, REALbasic works. REALbasic can build 100% true standalone applications. The only downside to REALbasic is the size of the application after it is compiled. Compiling and empty application (no-code, default project) produces and application size of about 2MB on Windows, 2.5MB on Linux and 900K on Mac. This is due to the stand-alone feature. REALbasic takes whatever information from ecternal files it needs and compiles it right into the executable file.

You can learn more about REALbasic here:
http://www.xojo.com/index_xojo.php
http://forums.realsoftware.com/

I have been programming in REALbasic for 3 years now and prefer it over any programming language I have ever used. I would more than happy to answer any questions about REALbasic (if I can ;-)) and help with learning the code, ect...

-Jason
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a link to a project I have been working on for almost 2 years now. Check out the screenshots of the application. The GUI is actually on windows but with the help of a plugin for RB, I made the windows somewhat resemble the GUI on Mac.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/emp2p/
----------------------------------------------------------------------

REALbasic Professional Edition includes all of the capabilities of REALbasic Standard Edition and adds these Professional Edition features:
Cross-platform compilation
REALbasic Professional Edition lets you create software for Windows, Linux and Macintosh from a single code base. Supported versions are:

Windows 98/NT/Me/2000/XP
Mac OS X and Classic Mac OS
Any x86-based Linux distribution with GTK+ 2.0 (or higher), glibc-2.3 (or higher) and CUPS (Common UNIX Printing System), which includes:

SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop
Red Hat Desktop
Extended database support
REALbasic Professional Edition adds the ability to connect to multi-user database servers like Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, FileMaker Server, MySQL, Sybase, Openbase, Frontbase, 4D Server or any ODBC data source. Note: Microsoft SQL Server ODBC drivers for Mac OS X are available from Actual Technologies.

Database Encryption
REAL SQL databases support AES 256 encryption.

NOTE: Encrypting existing REAL SQL Databases may result in unreadable databases, even with the correct key. This does not affect database files created with Release 4 or later. DO NOT try and encrypt existing database files without creating a new database file and copying data. This problem will be addressed in the next release of REALbasic.

Container controls
REALbasic Professional enables you to create reusable custom controls that save time, reduce code complexity and promote a consistent user interface. Container controls may be exported and reused by any other REALbasic Professional Edition user.

Console applications
REALbasic Professional Edition can create command line applications that can run in the background or when no user is logged in to the computer.

Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
The Professional Edition provides the ability to make secure internet connections using SSL, including the ability to switch to and from secure mode on demand. It also supports secure listening, which is required for SSL-enabled servers.

AutoDiscovery class
The AutoDiscovery class is used to create network-aware applications that require no set-up by the end user. A REALbasic application that uses AutoDiscovery can find other AutoDiscovery-enabled applications on the network and establish a connection automatically.

Cross-platform remote debugging
REALbasic Professional Edition includes a remote debugger that enables you to observe your code execution on one computer as it runs on another computer. The remote debugger enables you to write your code on Windows, for example, and test it on Linux and Macintosh. Because the remote debugger is based on the TCP/IP protocol, you can even use the remote debugger to test your application on a machine in another location, such as a customer site.

ServerSocket control
Enables the rapid development of highly scalable TCP/IP server applications. Automatically manages incoming connections and scales to thousands of simultaneous connections. See the article "Write a Webserver in 100 Lines of Code or Less" as an example.

Technical support
Your REALbasic Professional Edition license key provides you with access to web-based technical support directly from REAL Software for as long as your update plan remains current.

Notice from jlhaslip:
Quote tags are required on material which is not original.
Please read the Xisto readme file

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Could you explain more about realbasic? for example, what is the main advantage of realBasic compared to another programming language (it is new programming language, right?)It is really my first time to hear this name.

Sorry for the late reply, but I just saw this topic, and I felt I needed to add my 2 cents here...

First of all, this statement is a bit puzzling to me:

REALbasic's code structure (syntax) is very similar to Visual Basic bit unlike Visual Basic, REALbasic works.

and how is it that Visual Basic doesn't work? That statement is completely false, since Visual Basic works too... I've made countless VB applications that work... The only advantage I see with REALbasic is its' cross platform ability... Stand-alone part doesn't hold water, due to the size of the executable, so if you had to download 2 (empty) applications, it would be like 4 megs to download, whereas, it would be arround 20-30K of Visual Basic applications... Because, Visual Basic run-times come pre-installed on all Windows systems, starting with Windows 98 Second Edition... And If you had to download VB run-time dll, it would be 1.6M - once!

I don't doubt it's a great development tool, but let's face it - BASIC based languages are interpreted, not compiled, and therefore, they always need some sort of run-time libraries..

I just had to defend "my" Visual Basic :P