xisto Community
dartkun

Ctrl + C Will Not Work Windows Xp Pro SP2

I recently built a computer, everything seems to be alright with it, except one thing, CTRL + C just won't work. I'm running a Windows Windows Xp Pro SP2, and Ctrl + X and Ctrl + V work fine. I mean, I could probably just cut and paste anything I want to copy but it seems like such a hassle. Has anyone came across this problem before? Or know how to fix it?

maybe its some virus. or try to contact the place you bought the pc from. ask them for help. scan your computer for viruses, or the best idea would be to buy another keyboard. maybe the c button of your keyboard might be jammed. hope this helps you

Good solutions so far... I have another theory.. and don't flame me for this one.If you installed cracked software/program to be interfaced with Windows SP1 or SP2 products, Control C is disabled sometimes. This is either to prevent Windows from being compromised (a built-in feature) or the crack program somehow damaged Windows natural capability--keyboard short-cut to copy to the clip board.I'm not accusing anything...just placing MY previous experiences :lol: I cracked CS once and experienced the same thing.If you can type any word starts with the letter C, just the letter C (like you have, I assume) or any word that contains the letter C, I can safely say that your keyboard isn't the issue.

I spent about a good half hour looking but I have no results. Heck try to find registry search see if it could be done that way, of course I came up empty on that. Then I tried a few reverse engineering on how to disable ctrl+c but it came up with website stuff mostly.But from the results I did find viruses wouldn't do this. Best bet would be to try your keyboard on another system. Also pop the C key and see if it is dirty or not.Of course I recommend that you try and contact Microsoft Tech Support (AHAHAHA) and see what they say, which would be "check your connections and all that good stuff".If all else fails bring your keyboard to a computer store and see what they say.

Oh, I know the answer,

just a buy a new computer just like the one you have, and a new copy of windows and TARA!! the problem is fixed

Once I had a problem copying and pasting, and it turned out it's because of using a wireless keyboard. To make sure the problem isn't from your keyboard, just go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Accessibillity>On-screen keyboard
Then just copy some text by selecting the text with your mouse then clicking Ctrl then V on the screen keyboard, then try to paste.

help me

Ctrl + C Will Not Work

I have the same problem, I'm working with VISTA, there is always the same problem with those configuration: CTRL + C and CTRL + V. I have to use my mouse if I wanna to copy somthing, I think the keyboard is fine, so, whats happening?

-reply by marmotis

Ctrl C solution

Ctrl + C Will Not Work

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

I just ran into this problem this morning on my recently bought XPS 1530 with Vista Ultimate installed. If you have system restore set up on your machine, simply use it and go back to a date that you know it worked. Problem worked for me like a charm!

Ctrl C solution

Ctrl + C Will Not Work

Replying to Trap FeedBacker

I just ran into this problem this morning on my recently bought XPS 1530 with Vista Ultimate installed. If you have system restore set up on your machine, simply use it and go back to a date that you know it worked. Problem worked for me like a charm!

-reply by Juan Solorzano

Ctrl C solution

Ctrl + C Will Not Work

<a href=http://forums.xisto.com/topic/44040-ctrl-c-will-not-work-windows-xp-pro-sp2/ to Trap FeedBacker</a>

-reply by Juan Solorzano

So wait, now I am confused. Is this a bug or a security measure to keep you from stealing windows? It seems like something Microsoft would do.... "You wanna disable the accounts that were pirated?" "nahhh lets just disable ctrl+c and bug em"

I've read all of the theories above :lol:I am not going to annoy you.. This could be a problem related to interrupt conflict.1.) Try using the on-screen keyboard for CTRL+C and then CTRL+Vif that works .. :) CTRL+C is not disabled ;) congratulations...2.) Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Informationcheck for Conflicts under Hardware resourcesyou can also look for if the keyboard hardware is properly recognized and what drivers are loaded for it in the next few drop downs.Do this and reply back with your findings ;)I hope its not a hardware conflict.btw.. what type of keyboard is it ? USB or PS2 and where did you test CTRL+C ? notepad or Wordpad ??

I've read all of the theories above :lol:
I am not going to annoy you..

This could be a problem related to interrupt conflict.

1.) Try using the on-screen keyboard for CTRL+C and then CTRL+V

if that works .. :) CTRL+C is not disabled ;) congratulations...

2.) Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Information
check for Conflicts under Hardware resources
you can also look for if the keyboard hardware is properly recognized and what drivers are loaded for it in the next few drop downs.

Do this and reply back with your findings ;)

I hope its not a hardware conflict.

btw.. what type of keyboard is it ? USB or PS2
and where did you test CTRL+C ? notepad or Wordpad ??

If my keyboard uses USB, what is your answer...? and If my keyboard uses PS2 interface, what's your answer...?

Oh... BTW, where you got this tips...?

If my keyboard uses USB, what is your answer...? and If my keyboard uses PS2 interface, what's your answer...?
Oh... BTW, where you got this tips...?

Well mostly this problem is with the PS2 interface and not the USB types....

I was thinking that may be you have a pin broken in your PS2 connector interface but then I thought that may be the USB is not actually supplying enough power to the keyboard.. So just wanted to know..

Try putting the PS2 connector to a different port ( i guess there are two in most of the motherboards)

or if its the USB type, try putting something else on the port its using and see if that works properly..

and do reply with the findings :)

besides CTRL + C problem .. is there anything else that you noticed ?

Don't know if this would help.. but you can still try..

http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm

I have tried it myself and it logs all the keys that are pressed .. just try it and see if it helps . I hope it helps :lol:

btw.. you didn't write where you tried your CTRL + C ?? wordpad/notepad ? or MS Word ?
Edited by bluedragon (see edit history)

Replying to bluedragonHello,I have a simillar problem with Internet explorer it just would not use the ctrl c,ctrl v,ctrl x,ctrl a and delete :(It happened just suddenly and it pisses me off :(Could you please help me with it?? I looked into the system information and I do have some conflicts there..Many thanks in advanceAnna