xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Zero Ziat

I Am So Gonna Switch To Linux Thanks to this article

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

It tells the whole truth...I've affirmed it...It's not dirty lies. TRUTH I SAY! Anyways, yeah, it tells nice facts that induce me to change to Linux...I am not THAT computer-savvy yet to know all that partition and stuff...I don't know exactly what a distro and KDE is, so...I am just reading this trying to look for something at WikiHow to know how to do this. :lol:

I think I'll do the same on some computers.Linux seems to a lot better then Windows and most important of all it's free.Witch distribution I will use , I think Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) and for the office applications you can use OpenOffice.

I am a Linux, Mac and Windows users and they all have their advantages. Each OS is better at some things and worse for others. For instance, Windows is the best for business software, gaming and even school work. The reason is that office is used at all schools and teachers even require you submit office documents for assignment so you can never stop using windows fully. Mac is amazing for anything audio / video related. Linux, is the good for truely learning how an operating system works and how installations work. I love their 3d windows and it even runs quick on an older 1.2 ghz P3 laptop. As for what distro to use, i would recommend using Suse (aka OpenSuse now) since there is a huge userbase and lots of forums to get help from.

I run CentOS upstairs, but this distro isn't really made to be used by the average computer user, it's used a lot more for servers and stuff so I don't think I will be running CentOS for long anymore. I'm thinking of changing to anoter distro which is a bit more user friendly for some time now but I dont realyl use that computer very often so till now it hasn't really been a huge problem for me.

Ahhhh. Another smart person. Heh. Distro is short for Distribution, many times it's called "flavor", every distro has it's benefits and whatnot. There are the very powerful self-complied ones like Gentoo and Debian, for advanced users, then there are WAY easier ones. Like OpenSuse, Mandriva and *Ubuntu. (Comes in Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Xubuntu)For a first user, I suggest Ubuntu or Kubuntu. Try them both, the difference is one runs Gnome and one runs KDE. You'll be able to find out the difference between those two on the internet. Anywho. Ubuntu is EXTREMELY free-software based, meaning you will never have to pay for it. Ever. It's a small download, and they put out newer things around every 6 months. Not to mention, they are all live boots. Meaning you can "try before you buy." (AKA install)They have HUGE repositorys with any piece of software you could ever need/want, and the install is literally a breeze. There are many guides on the internet to help you on the partitioning thing. But basically, partitioning splits up your hard drive into pieces, each looks like a new hard drive to your OS. Basically, you'll need two partitions. One for linux and one for Windows. (You probably won't want to be stranded with just Linux on your first try)That's a very good article. Lays out some fundamental differences, that a Windows person would need to know. Good luck with getting it installing it. If you'd like some help or recommendations, I'll gladly help. Post back asking and I'll give you my MSN. (If you use it)I'm not really a Linux user yet, though. I've tried about 4 different Distros in an emulator, because I only have a 40Gb hard disc. I'll be installing OpenSuse after I get my new 250Gb HDD for Christmas. :lol:

If your on windows and slowly want to transfer to linux the best distro would be Xandros they off a paid distro and a free one. It like bridges the gap between Windows and Linux, you can also run windows programs on there as its got an emulator that comes with it.

Why not just use both Linux and Windows and get the best of both worlds? As someone said before me, every OS has its advantage, none are superior, it just depends on what you do, but Windows tends to be a more all-around thing.

In my opinion, Linux is a better option because it is free (depends on the distribution, but most of the good ones like Fedora and Ubuntu are free) and has better security to protect your computer. However, I would still keep a partition for Windows so that you can run applications developed for Windows (the majority of programs are written for Windows). If it was my choice, I would use both OSes.

I really like Windows and I know them to the last detail so there is no point for me to change to LINUX. Maybe it is safer, but hey I am not hiding anything of importance and allll programs are made for Windows...There are pros and cons to both windows and linux!

thats good news man. Recently even i am thinking to shift to linux.
i had ordered ubuntu from https://blog.canonical.com/2011/04/05/shipit-comes-to-an-end/ and i recieved it yesterday.
now yet i havent installed linux on hdd just running it live
atleast for now i think i will get addicted to it soon.
the features are easy to understand thanks for their help site
best of luck with your dicission

If you want to try linux go for kubuntu (or ubuntu) or sabayon. Sabayon has beryl preinstalled so you can have all the eye candy you want plus the dvd edition comes with a lot (and i do mean a lot) of features like an option of installing with kde or gnome. Kubuntu is very user friendly and easy to use and customise. I would reccomend going for kubuntu first to get used to linux and then trying out sabayon.

Just installed ubuntu fesity fun and beryl on my computer and I must say the effects are totally awesome especially the bit where the window burns off the screen. Then the spinning cube and best of all it is totally free? TOTALLY UNBELIEVABLE!!!Anyone thinking about trying any linux distro should try out this.

. . . and allll programs are made for Windows...

I would disagree. I've yet to see Final Cut Pro for Windows. This is just the first example to come to mind. There are many other programs that were built for Linux only, but even those that are available for both Linux and Windows usually work much faster/better on Linux. I have experience with Linux, Windows, and Mac and I would have to say that it is a tough choice between a Mac and Linux box, but the only real reason I still have Windows is because my wife is not interested in learning a new OS.

Something interesting to note: Linux can run Windows programs by using an emulator called "Wine" (I've used it and it works great). It is also about as fast as using a Windows program on a Windows box! I've heard that you can use an emulator to be able to run a Linux program on a Windows box, but that it is painstakingly slow, and so I opted to not even try it.
Edited by Sean Foster (see edit history)