xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Matrixdudej

666 -- Your Opinions?

I'm not really sure about the origins of the number, but I've heard lots of stuff that it's supposed to mean. I'm not sure if I believe any of it or not, but it's still kind of interesting to think about it. I wonder though what makes one number more "evil" than another number? Did someone just come up with that, or was there some back story that I've been missing...I thought I heard that 333 is supposed to be good, but I'm not too sure about that, because I don't remember where I heard that.

What? Wasn't the 666 supposed to mean June 6, 2006? The apocalypse has already passed according to these crazy superstitious people, but now we're already re-thinking, and planning a new date for the worlds end.... great...

Most explanations I've read of 666 have to do with Gematria. Of course, many of us know that Hebrew and Greek letters all have numeric values, and thus all words in those languages have a numeric value. The number 666 was probably used to encode a specific person's name so that the author of the Book of Revelation could openly criticize a public figure without fear of blatantly naming that person. Of all the explanations Caesar Nero is the most popular (and the most plausible, I think). Mr. Nero was a terrible persecutor of early Christians and book is generally purported to be written during his reign.Also, it is probable that the number has more general symbolic meanings. In the numerology prevailing at the time 6 was thought to be an imperfect number. I'm guessing this is because of its multiple divisors, but I'm not sure. In any case, the number has that symbolic meaning and its appearance three times is a symbol of its superlative function. Just as we have ever increasing qualifiers in the words "big" "bigger" and "biggest" so it is the case with 666 representing the superlative of that which is disgusting and terrible.Perhaps someone with a greater knowledge of Gematria and numerology can explain these symbolic meanings more properly.

All those number related stories are simple myths, no one had ever proven anything unusual about those numbers. Legends say that its a devils number/birthday, but come on... Has anyone ever seen the devil? Exactly, in my opinion those things cannot be taken seriously and topics that arise around those things are wild fantasies of true believers.

As far as my Christian scholarship goes:The book of Revelation was written with the future in mind - and is still indicative of a future time (that being the Tribulation). The "666" code is, in my opinion, a symbolic representation of the mark that will be required to buy or sell food and other goods once the Antichrist is in power. If I had to guess, I would say that this mark will be much like the microchip that my sister's dog has. (I'm not against microchipping pets or anything - just saying.)That's just what I get out of Revelation, though. There are all sorts of other theories and beliefs about this book. Some believe that the events John described have already passed (when Babylon was in its prime - oh so many, many, many years ago), for example. Your mileage may vary :P