xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Cool_Freaker

Medieval Ii: Total War More massive army goodness

Since I haven't seen a topic yet about it, has anyone played (or been playing) the latest game in the Total War series? Essentially it's a remake of the original Medieval: Total War, but incorporating many of the gameplay elements from Rome: TW, with improved graphics overall. I really loved Rome: TW - I'm a fan of huge armies fighting it out (which is why Warcraft 3 was never my thing with extreme micromangement and a pop cap of 90). Medieval II: TW is great too, although I felt it's not really a huge step up from Rome: TW. I'm not sure if I'm just unobservant, but in terms of new features I haven't come across anything yet (which has made a gameplay impact, anyway) - apart from the nice graphics. Sure, it's great having units in your armies more unique and natural, by that I mean how they have slight variations in appearance and movements, but essentially you do exactly the same thing.Medieval II: TW is still a great lot of fun, but for a full game I honestly expected a bit more to it, instead of playing a sort of repackaged Rome: TW. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Although I haven't played Medieval Total War II, having read some of the reviews, I did expect slightly more, mainly real time navel combat. (It is really annoying me now. After 4 games, you though they could have written it in). Where as the step between Medieval total war (When I say Medieval total war, I am referring to Medieval total war 1) and Rome Total War was huge, but RTW to MTWII doesn't seem to be so large at all. Maybe it is just because it is (I think?) just built onto the Rome Total War's game engine, where as Rome Total War is a totally different game engine that Medieval Total war.I will still get Medieval Total War II, because I sooo love those games, but I am not to hyped up about it or expecting huge changes since RTW

Yes, some form of Naval combat would be nice indeed - although considering that would be quite a big leap for the game (and while MTWII from Rome was not), I guess it wasn't to be expected :lol:I'm not sure how they would implement such a thing, anyway - would you command each ship? or would each ship have units on it which you would command? - whether they'd have things like wind taken into account, etc etc

I have bought every game in the series so far..I even have an origonal Shogan Total War trade pack with a free T shirt and mousemat somewhere..I had the first game on order for 5 months before it was realeased nearly 7 years ago i think it was..Im hopefully getting Medievil 2 in my Christmas stocking...I will will report my findings after I have eaten lots of turkey..drank way too much wine..and plotted my first invasion campaign against the French and defeated them :lol:)Cant wait!! Bring the TOTAL WAR ON!!

Without doubt the best strategy game in the world. IMO its gone down a bit since shogun and MTW1, not in graphics but in substance, the old unique "fun" element isnt there anymore, and its more focused on eye candy :(Still rocks of course, just not as much as it did, especially multiplayer.Im looking forward to XIII century though, it looks pretty much the same as TW, but as its by totally different people, im hopeful :unsure:

You've got point there but you also must understnad that it is really cool to see such massive armies in fight and not many games can be proud on such achivment like medivial wars serial.Also there are many strategic issues in this game and aspects which no other game has shown or have applied yet. I think that they did great job by keeping the serial alive and applying better graphics while at tthe same time keeping the gameplay on the high level.

I played it for like 2 weeks and got bored. Mainly because I couldn't skip the turns taken by other countries. I had to sit by and watch the turns. Took like 1 minute or something.

At the Grand Campaign window when your picking your faction, etc. There is an option at the bottom that says "Show CPU movement" I think if you turn that off it only shows the AI movements when they're doing something in your territory, like attacking a city or a blockadeYou could also turn it off ingame i think by going to game options when you press "esc" when in the campaign. You can turn it off by changing "Follow AI Movement" to "Skip AI Movement"

Edited by mojoman (see edit history)