xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
SportsLegends

Baseball Salaries

Has anyone noticed the Major League Baseball salaries that have been given to free agents this offseason? Gil Meche, an average pitcher who pitched for the Seattle Mariners, was given over $12 million a season for the next five years. Unbelievable. I am not complaining that players are getting paid too much- I think that players should seek every penny they can get, because that's what we all would do. I am just frustrated about the system. Teams like my Pittsburgh Pirates who play in a small-market city are stuck with sub-$40 million dollar payrolls, while teams like the New York Yankees pay that much for the left side of their infield. I wish my Buccos had a chance- they better make a change at some point- I can only take so many consecutive losing seasons.

Down here in Australia, in the major football codes (AFL, Rugby League), there are some measure to ensure that all clubs get a fair go throughout the season. The salary cap to each of the clubs ensures that the clubs do not finish in the same position year after year. At least that way, particular clubs dont finish at the bottom year after year and they have a chance to improve their position from season to season.

The NFL has a salary cap, and it is a system that works. The teams that lose year after year only have themselves to blame. Teams like the Lions and Cardinals have been drafting horribly, and have just made some poor front office decisions. But they have the funds to compete- it is not the system's fault in their case; it is their own fault.But for baseball, a GM might do everything that he can possibly do, and he might still not be able to field a winning team. Sure, there are some exceptions of some small market teams competing, like the Twins and the Marlins. But it shouldn't be an amazing feat for a small market team to be competing.I am a Pirates fan. The front office for the last ten years has been preaching to its fans, "We have a five year plan, be patient." I am mad at their front office for making some poor decisions, but I am more mad at the system. Three years ago, the Pirates traded away young star Aramis Ramirez for some prospects- Aramis was just one year removed from a .300, 30 home run 110 RBI season- and he was only 24 years old. There was no way to justify him being traded except to dump salary. That same year, the Yankees signed Jose Contreas to $8 million a season to be their 6th starter! The Yankees can afford to pay bench players more than the Pirates can afford to pay their stars players (Jason Bay gets less than $7 million). That's just sick.

At least down under, most of the major football codes do have the salary cap, and in the case of Australian Rules football, a player draft is also applied, with the bottom placed team of the previous year getting first pick of the promising youngster. However, draft picks can be traded between clubs during the trade period prior to the start of the following season.Unfortunately in some cases, the draft may not be kind to players, as there are some cases where a few players may not want to move interstate to another city to chase their dream of playing at the top levels in Australian rules football.

If only the MLB used a salary cap system like the NFL or NHL. there would certainly be more parity around the league. Baseball salaries are out of whack, but then again the career span of baseball players only lasts so long what with injuries and age catching up to the abilities they once had when they were younger.

Edited by shigajet (see edit history)

We were cheated out of about half the 1994 season because the players, unions, managers, etc. couldn't agree on the salary cap issue. That was more than a decade ago, but there are still people who refuse to support Major League Baseball in any way because of the strike.I FINALLY came back to MLB a few seasons ago...after eight or nine years of being wholly disgusted with the alleged adults. The steroid scandals and such are really making me wonder why I bothered coming back in the first place.I don't care if MLB adopts a salary cap or not. I do, however, care about the games actually being played - by people who aren't pumping garbage into their bodies every chance they get.

the revenue sharing and luxury taxes implemented did not work. however teams are starting to build from within. hopefully this will lead to a drop in salaries and a drop prices in ticket prices.

I agree that something needs to change in baseball to even out the playing field, regardless of me being advantageous from the current system being a Cubs fan. Even if teams do "homegrow" their talent, teams like the Yankees, Bosox, Blue Jays, Mets, and Cubs can buy the most expensive, most talented free agents every year and one-up the prospect-laden teams. However, you can't claim that small market teams can't win, after watching the Florida Marlins. Their GM is not given nearly enough respect after he dismantles their team after every championship only to win another ring only 5 years later. Brilliant.

All are over priced. But too you have to remember too, as of the 2008 season there is no more being paid for MVP Cy Young and things like that. so these players are taking advantage of this new ruling. Which I have to agree with by the way. But I do feel also they are being over paid. If they did this 12 months out of a year, and it was a real job. okay. But hey they are sport players!

Even though baseball players might overall be the worst athletes of all the major sports, I do not think they should be making less than they do. First off, the 162 games season spans over six months and is easily the longest of any sport. There are rarely complete off days when the team does not play or travel to their next destination. However, just because I think baseball players should be making as much as they do doesnt mean that i think they deserve to. What I mean by this is that the money generated by the teams and the league has to go somewhere. And obviously, the players are the core of the team. Without them there is no team. As long as the baseball market continues to grow larger and larger, the players should earn a constant percentage of that market and thus make more and more money.

Everybody needs to keep in mind that these baseball players are the absolute best in the world at what they do. Especially with the best Japanese players now coming to play in the United States like Matsuzaka and Godzilla, the American MLB is filled with the best of the best. Just as the top doctors and top lawyers make millions upon millions of dollars, so should the best baseball players. Although they do not techincally "play" 12 months a year, they work 12 months a year just like everybody else. Baseball players are all too competitive to take any time off during the offseason. Even a month or so off could cause a player to fall significantly behind in his weight training or lose his swing. On top of being the best of the best, baseball players should make more than the top doctors and lawyers because their practice and their playing generates millions of dollars. This money from the tickets, TV deals, merchandise sales, and food sales goes not only to the team, but also to the television companies and to the United States as a whole and it is only right that the players earn some of this money they are generating for all these people.

insaneBaseball Salaries

I love baseball, but at the same time I feel players don't deserve to make about $500,000 just for making it to the majors. The American citizen on minimum wage makes only about $20,000 a year. It's crazy. You don't see the top janitors making millions upon millions every year. I believe baseball players deserve the right to make a lot of money, but not the right to whine about it like T.O. Nobody likes that. For Manny Ramirez to hold out when he was offered as much money as he did , it's just plain stupid. 

-reply by Tommy Iserman