xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
MaineFishing45

Flashback - Trap17 - 5 Years Ago Before the Free Hosting and Forums

Flashback...

Well I was browsing Archive.org and figured what the heck... so I typed in Xisto and WOW. Would you believe what a long way we have come with the main page and stuff. Also the quality, if I had seen the main page back in 2001 or 2002 before July 25... it looked bad and looked like a crappy hosting. But like anything else over time it gets better and we improve on our mistakes. :lol: And thats what made Xisto.com the place it is today. And what was with that red spider web and stuff? <_<

If anybody has been here since the start, can you tell me if Archive.org is right and stuff. Well just thought I would share this little bit of information with everyone. Also can you explain that spider thingy and some of the other odd template stuff.
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Wow that's great job maine!I knew about that service but never bothered to look about the site which I visit daily <_< anyway, It looks good that a site is going on for such a long time and had something related to software and hardware in the starting days but now has turned into one of the best free hosting service on the internet.

Things certainly do change over the years. Very impressive. :) You can find anything on the net when you look hard enough. :) Even older boards like this one and others. I like looking at old stuff. And remember a few things back then. :D

So while doing some analysis of my website, I came across a website that has archived views of most websites.
https://archive.org/ is the address.

While my website, Handy PHP, isn't old enough to be included, I decided to take a look at Xisto.com and see what was going on before I found it and it hadn't really changed that much.

So I took a look at Xisto.com since it was older than Xisto. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^
Turns out that Xisto is even older than I thought!

I guess OpaQue or some previous domain owner used the domain for something else for a short time 3 years before the free web hosting website was started! :lol:

06/02/2001 - Xisto - index

I guess that OpaQue was a fan of Microsoft back in the day:
06/05/2001 - Xisto - cyber1.htm

Anyhow, I thought this was kind of interesting.
Here is the complete archive list for Xisto.com:
All - Xisto - index

The 1996 version of Yahoo.com is pretty hard to believe.

Notice from jlhaslip:
Merged with a similar topic previously posted

Wow, the 2001 snapshot is a long way from today's community & free hosting site. The 2001 snapshot is pretty much the standard of personal sites those days, and I'm guessing it was used as a site for linking to other sites prior to the hosting service residing at this address today.The 2004 site aint bad, which would be up to the standards of some of the normal blogs found on many sites, but again depending on the host/CMS of the blog, those blogs may be slightly better than the 2004 layout.Xisto has indeed gone a long way for the better! Keep it up, and it would be interesting to look back at the current format today in about 5- 10 years.

You've gotta remember that 2001 version, was "cool" back then lol. It was standard for most personal sites. Though i'd still rather have that than the myspace culture we have at the moment to be honest!