xisto Community
fallenfirebanshi

Down's Syndrome

Hey Guys, Do any of you know anything about Down's Synrome? I have to do a project on it and its effects, so far I know that 'Downers' have a 3rd 21st chromozone which has strange affecs upon all of their systems, but apart from that I know nothing Thanking you in advance fallenfrebanshi

Ohh the great Down Syndrome, what a terrible syndrome to have... very bad... expecially since i had to do a report for it last year :lol:Some of the most common effects of Down Syndrome is that their muscles are greatly weakened, some so bad they are in wheel chairs for life. Another thing that is shown is mild mental retardation, and Physical disabilities and or physical deformities

I know a woman who has it... she's pretty weird. Seriously, this woman never talks. When she wants to communicate, she growls at people. It's actually kinda scary...But yeah, Down Syndrome sucks.

As many of you might have already reasearched, Down Syndrome consists of having 3 copies of the 21st chromosome... The implications range from delayed nervous system maturation (thus the apparently defective motor skills), decreased fertility and lifespan.There are some prenatal screenings which can *detect* if the baby has or not the third copy of the chromosome, but unfortunately, there's no cure.However, it doesn't mean these people are uncapable of living... They are subject to discrimination and things like that, but some institutions provide them with something like a job, a reason for living.The University where I study employs several people with Down Syndrome to do the gardening and street cleaning, for example. That way, they interact with passing-by-students, and also have a bit of fun and social life, because they don't work alone (and work with "normal" people, also).

The people with Down syndrome I've met were mostly smiling - from closer seemed really happy. I've seen a music band in which they took a considerable part. Do they sense something from life that we "normal" people can't? Or are we too anxious and stressful? :lol:

Edited by knowlet (see edit history)