xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
day_armstrong

Wings3d And Blender3d (updated, 16-12-2006) tutorials for a sophisticated open source 3D modellers and animator

I guess there is no one has submit anything on Blender and Wings. Well, these two are my tools for my old hobby. Perhaps, there is someone out there who wants to learn 3D modelling (and/or animation) to decorate his/her website, but has no money to buy 3dsmax or maya. Those 3dsmax or maya is such a waste of money, IMO, for only decorating a website. So, here we go!

Introduction:

Blender is an open source 3D modeller and animator. It is most popular due to its animation and rendering capability. It's website: https://www.blender.org/. The shotcoming of Blender is that, its GUI terrifying for newbies. But don't worry, there is another tool called Wings3D to support each other.

Wings (http://www.wings3d.com/) is also an open source, but with advantage of simplistic GUI. It is one of the best user interface I guess. I used to use Wings to create a simple, base model, then export it to Blender for further development or animation.

I will start with Wings 3D.

Let's say we want to make a simple book model. Due to its geometry (mostly box/cube), I rather use wings than blender. Ok, let's begin!

1. First, download and install the thing, then run it.

2. I like to use Blender 3D interface, therefore go to Preferences->Camera->Camera Mode (Blender), then ok. With this setting you should be able to use hold Middle Mouse Button (MMB) to rotate view, hold Shift+MMB to pan view.

3. Click Right Mouse Button (RMB) to add cube. RMB again to scale it in x, then y, then z direction. Until it has the shape of:

Posted Image

4. Use Edge Mode, select the upper and lower edge of one side then press C. It should produce a dissecting line, then move it in z direction to make it like in the picture.

Posted Image

5. Use Body Mode, then RMB, then select duplicate->y. Move it to a certain distance. Then RMB, flip->y. Then use Face Mode, select upper margin, and lower margin (see pict.). After that, RMB again select Bridge.

Posted Image

6. With the same technique, bridge the remaining part of the inner book. Then, select one side of the book, RMB->extrude x into the book. There should be a small part remaining. Use Edge mode, delete it (hit backspace). Then, do the same with another side and the outer part. The picture should do the job:

Posted Image

7. You can figure out yourself how to finish it. The finished book:

Posted Image

Note: you can press W for showing wireframe. It's often more convenient.

I stop here first, and see how is the response of the members. I plan to add tutorial for another modelling and simple animation and also texturing (the book still needed to be textured).

Upcomming tutorial(s):

As far as 3d modelling is concerned, usually, people decorate their website by putting 3d text or 3d logo. Using Blender3D we can make a nice 3d text or logo then we animate it to make it a GIF file. It can be a nice decoration I think. Update: Some part of the tutorial has been already added below.

Why don't use phototshop instead?

-I feel using 3d modeller it will be a lot faster ( if you are familiar with it of course).

-you can choose the angle of viewing to suit your web the best.

-you can have relatively easy modification to your model later on.

That's enough for now . Enjoy. ^_^:lol:

Edited by day_armstrong (see edit history)

Tut on Blender3d (3D text modelling)

Yo, there. Let's Continue.

1. Download Blender here, install, then run it.

2. Let's say we want to make a letter like this:

Posted Image

3. Let's examine basic things of Blender:

a. By default, Blender always start with a cube

b. to rotate view, use Middle Mouse Button (MMB). Try it. You'll see the cube.

c. to pan the view, use Shift+MMB. Try it.

d. Use num (activate numlock) 0 - 9 for select view. 1 -> front view, 3 -> left view, 7 -> top view. You can use CTRL+[0-9] to make the bring you to the opposite face.

e. Don't use your intuition for the first time. I mean, blender UI is not like the others. For example, selecting object is right click instead of left click. Left click is to move the "cursor".

4. Got it? Press num 7 (top view), delete the cube (press del).

5. Go to view menu -> Back ground image. Search for your image. You'll see an image in the background right away.

Posted Image

6. Press spaacebar, It'll bring you a menu. Selct add->curve->Bezier Curve. Select a vertex, press G, move it to a vertex of the letter. If you need more vertices, do CTRL->LMB. If you need to rotate a vertex, press R.

7. There are two important things here. Press H -> free handling. Press V -> angle handling. Experiment with them a bit. Press C to close the curve. Then, make it like this: (note: to toggle wireframe press z)

Posted Image

8. press spacebar again -> curve -> bezier crve. Add the "hole" inside the A letter. (press z to toggle wireframe)

Posted Image

9. Still follow? Press tab, to go to object mode. Click edit button, change the value in extrude field to 0.100, Bevel depth 0.020, Bevel resol 2. Rotate the view. See? Then, click Scene button. Click Render. You'll get:

Posted Image

That's all. Hope you get a bit of feeling about blender and wings. :lol:

-day

Edited by day_armstrong (see edit history)