xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Kubi

Graphics Card/monitor Issue

Alright, I'll stay by telling you what Graphics Card I have, so there's not confusing.I have a RECENTELY purchased 258mb GeForce 5500 graphic card. I installed it on my computer, a long with the drivers..What I didn't do!;Stupidly enough, I never plugged my monitor into the graphics card, ha. So for about 2 months I thought I was running a GeForce, when I was actually running an Intel Extreme Graphics card, ya, don't ask me how I didn't notice.I figured that out today when I tryed to play fable, and it yelled at me for not having a good enough card. I went into my monitor settings, and fiddled with it. I couldn't figure out why my Graphics card wasn't setting to the primary monitor, it'd keep switching back when I'd hit "apply".Here's the biggest mistake you can ever make; I clicked "Troubleshoot", here comes Microsoft to save the day. It said "Go into your display settings, click your secondary monitor, and click "Extend my windows to the window(or something like that), and then click apply", but it was in binary/hex, since it's Microsoft :). So I did. Well, POOF. It sure did extend my monitor. Now I had 2 monitors running, one of which wouldn't show up on my screen, so I couldn't navigate. The only way to fix that was to take out my graphics card. And since I'm here, it works fine.I've tryed re-enabling my crappy monitor, and then putting in the graphics card. Same problem. I've plugged in my monitor directly into the gfx card, it'll boot, but it'll stay black, and the monitor light will flash.Not sure how to fix this, any help would be awsome. (I'm running XP btw).Thanks guys.

The question is to use your GeForce instead if Intel video card? Or use both but you want GeForce to be the primary card?Well, I have not attempted at this kind of procedure. I have two monitors and I purchased special graphics card that can handle up to 4 monitors. I never trusted on-board video cards.But here is what you can try to do. It depends on your motherboard. Enter the BIOS setting and see if you can "force" which card to be the primary. My ASUS motherboard has an option that can trigger on-board, PCI or AGP as my primary card. Sometimes BIOS setting "Plug & Play OS installed?" option might be set to "NO". Set it to YES or if it's set to YES then set to NO. This will allow Windows OS to have better control over basic setup, rather than BIOS having to tell Windows OS what's what...etc. Because, whatever it is set to now it's not working for you. So try the opposit.Ah...and I see that you're trying to use two monitors so the second part of my post will be irrelevant.

try deinstalling drivers of intel on board graphic card.you can do that when hiting F8 key sometime after memory check when your computer starts.it should show a screen where you select safe mode of windows.now you should take out your GForce (BEFORE TURNING ON YOUR COMPUTER ^_^ ) and put your working monitor on Intel Graphic, then when in safe mode uninstall that card and turn off computer.plugin your GForce and your MONITOR INTO YOUR GFORCE CARD :lol:than when you turn on your computer and install GForce drivers (which windows automaticly install, although it is better to download latest version from nvidia site) everything should be working ok...

Edited by matak (see edit history)